Author Topic: Services Menu I  (Read 7118 times)

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Services Menu I
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »
It's as fast, colorful and f-a-n-c-y as my present system. toothgrin.gif

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Services Menu I
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 10:01:58 PM »
That would have been Application Enhancer.
Nope, it was definitely not from Unsanity. And they seem to be rather out of business as far as Leopard goes. Maybe a conflict with the built-in "Application Enhancers" folder in Leopard. They had some good stuff but I grew paranoid about their use of undocumented (unauthorized) hooks to the OS.

The Preference Panel I used was basically a list of every known suffix found on any computer in the known universe to which you could use the default suggested app or type in your own choice. I don't have a Tiger system left to look at...and it may not have made the leap-on-ward. wallbash.gif
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:03:12 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Services Menu I
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 10:54:26 PM »
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Nov 16 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would have been Application Enhancer.
Nope, it was definitely not from Unsanity.

Okay, I'll believe you; but you are the fella that got me to use Application Enhancer. How come you didn't tell me about all the unauthorized stuff? wink.gif

The Preference Panel I used was basically a list of every known suffix found on any computer in the known universe to which you could use the default suggested app or type in your own choice.

Sounds cool, but I don't know what it is.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Services Menu I
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 01:58:51 PM »
Ah! Here it is <RCDefaultApp>. Still not sure if it will run on Leopard.

As for using Application Enhancer upon my suggestion...the real question is, why would anyone take my advice/recommendation?! eek2.gif

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Services Menu I
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 06:44:47 PM »
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Nov 17 2008, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah! Here it is <RCDefaultApp>. Still not sure if it will run on Leopard.
Yeah, yeah ... I used that also. Again because you recommended it.

As for using Application Enhancer upon my suggestion...the real question is, why would anyone take my advice/recommendation?! eek2.gif

Uhhh ... I thought you knew what you were talking about? I needed help and you were the only one who offered me any suggestions? I had a moment of insanity? laugh.gif
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:45:02 PM by kimmer »

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Services Menu I
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 09:44:59 PM »
Here's the response I got from the developer just now:
It should work fine.  There are a couple (very) minor issues, but overall it works.  At some point I need to get my long-delayed next version out...

-Carl Lindberg
Maybe I need to check it out, again! One thing I noticed that hadn't been a problem before was when I was checking the USPS web site to print labels/postage. There is a link to 'test' ones system to be sure it will work. It basically send a PDF to your machine and tries to get Arcobat to print it. But I have Safari set to display PDFs in Preview and the 'automagic' printing didn't happen. There is a very short time where Preview presents the image and its on-screen toolbar. But I'm so dense that it was gone by the time I realized what it was. I could still have printed the PDF had I just accessed Preview in time. doh.gif IMHO, simply sending a PDF file to the user would be more reliable and usable...OTOH, I've seen people who have no idea what a PDF is nor what to do with it. rolleyes.gif

BTW, like the new 'avatar!' I'll expect a similar but differently colored one in the Spring! smile.gif Oh yeah, hope your sanity returns...maybe you should leave a light in the window! tongue.gif

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Services Menu I
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 02:07:43 PM »
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Nov 17 2008, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OTOH, I've seen people who have no idea what a PDF is nor what to do with it. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, we have a friend who always wants the little "ads" that Mac does for the Friends as JPEG's, because she can't figure out how to convert the PDF to something usable on the library web site. Oh well. wink.gif

BTW, like the new 'avatar!' I'll expect a similar but differently colored one in the Spring! smile.gif Oh yeah, hope your sanity returns...maybe you should leave a light in the window! tongue.gif

Thanks. It was a learning experience and took me several attempts in PSE 3 and 4 and finally back to 3 to get it to work. Flowers in Spring. Good idea. I'm working on a "winter" one right now. Having a huge prob getting my idea to be what I'm looking at in PSE.  dry.gif I'm really not that talented with graphics, but I've got ideas. Big Ideas. laugh.gif

My sanity will likely never return. It's been gone too many years. tease.gif

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Services Menu I
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »
I haven't tried an animated gif in PSE 6 yet. The only way to see it 'animate' that I know of is to use the "Publish to Web" function. At the bottom right-hand side, in the 'controls' panel, there is a slider that allows you to see each layer individually, not necessarily in real time, however. I think the way I did those things is to have a separate Layer for each 'frame' of the 'movie.' When you're finished with a Layer, use command-j to make a copy of that one in a new layer. You can then 'pixel-paint' what moves in that new Layer. When finished, do the command-j thing and keep going until you're done or too tired! BTW, it may help to turn off the visibility of the previous Layer after you make the copy. OTOH, it may not, it just depends on what moves and what you want to remain fixed. I found it quite tedious and I was appreciative of some TS Admin tweaking of my current avatar. That may be a good plan; create a gif that is slightly irritating and keep it in front of talented people! wink.gif laugh.gif

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Services Menu I
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Nov 19 2008, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't tried an animated gif in PSE 6 yet. The only way to see it 'animate' that I know of is to use the "Publish to Web" function.

That's how I've always "checked" my progress, although I sometimes go in and turn off all layers and then manually click the eyeball to turn them on - one at a time. It's a slow-mo way to see the animation.

I think the way I did those things is to have a separate Layer for each 'frame' of the 'movie.'

Yup, layer after layer. I usually work with 2 or 3 versions of any animated graphic. One has all the basics, and then when I start linking together pieces, and as I add more pieces and parts and link those layers and on and on. It is tedious, and that's why I don't do it very often. I'm sure there's some fancy and easy way to do it all, but like I said, I have grand ideas, just no talent to match. laugh.gif