Author Topic: Bluetooth earbuds pair but won't connect  (Read 722 times)

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Bluetooth earbuds pair but won't connect
« on: September 03, 2019, 02:18:12 PM »
Bought a pair of Bluetooth Cambridge Melomania earbuds for my dearest - they're her birthday choice so who am I to argue...

I got them to pair with our 2010 MBP (Snow Leopard), which is 'her' machine, but couldn't get them to connect. Bluetooth Prefs panel confirmed they were paired. In desperation I removed them from the list and restarted the MBP and now I can't even get them paired - they don't even appear in 'found' list.

Web search turned up directions to Debug, but that option does not appear in the SL version and couldn't find any update for the SL Bluetooth app.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I'll leave this overnight, and hope that while I'm asleep someone will provide info that leads me to slap my forehead and say "Duh... of course.... "   :blush-anim-cl: 

Biggest fear is that I may have to get her a more up-to-date MBP to go with them.... :eek:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:51:04 AM by Highmac »
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: Bluetooth earbuds pair but won't connect
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 02:55:45 PM »
Not sure what app you are trying to enable "Debug" in. Some Apple apps have that option in the Prefs. Most will use a simple Terminal entry that includes "...default write..." with other text that indicates the app and the 'debug' menu enabling command and finally a value of "1" (which usually means "on"). I'm betting that the site that mentioned turning the Debug menu on has the text in there somewhere. What might be that site... :inspect:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 03:36:50 PM »
Have you tried resetting the earbuds?

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001511317-How-do-I-reset-the-Melomania-1-

From what I've read, bluetooth devices are notoriously temperamental, which I know doesn't help. :p
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »
Hello folks, sorry for the slow response. Been a busy time... 

Full marks to Cambridge Audio for a quick response (hours rather than days); they added to the suggestions here and the buds did connect but were flaky. Eventually we were able to try them on a couple of other - more recent - Macs and they worked perfectly. So looks like 2010 Bluetooth isn't up to modern equipment.

Thanks for your help :)
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.