Author Topic: Can anyone identify this extension?  (Read 7619 times)

Offline dakota

• Super Duper Poster
  • Late 2019 27" iMac 10.14.5, mid-2010 27" iMac
    • View Profile
Can anyone identify this extension?
« on: November 19, 2009, 04:48:09 PM »
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard, and aside from some minor glitches ( I installed the newest driver for my printer, but it seems to be using the old driver), and some other disabled items, I am getting the following popup - The system extension "/System/Library/ Extensions/ CNQL401_Classic Not Seize Kext" was installed improperly and can not be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product vendor for an update.

I have NO idea what this refers to. Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:48:31 PM by dakota »
To err is human, to forgive canine

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:23:35 PM »
So, does that printer have OS X drivers? Looks like it is trying to use OS 9 drivers/extensions.

Are you running in Classic when this happens? While I thought Apple had eased the problem of printing from Classic, if these drivers attempt to access the printer by directly using the hardware, Classic is not the best choice for them. dntknw.gif

Is that a Canon printer? Did you use the updates for that brand at <Apple's Download Support page>?

BTW, how 'bout updating your Profile info. wink.gif
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 05:24:18 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline dakota

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »
I don't have Classic. My scanner is a Canon, and it seems to be working.  My printer is an Epson R2400. I think I do have some old stuff floating around from an old Epson scanner which I have not  used in a few years, and possibly from a defunct Epson printer..

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:31:09 AM »
Not sure whether this will help reduce the mystery, but Googling CNQL401 returned nothing; changing it to CNQL40* found this Japanese page which, if nothing else, seems to suggest it is to do with the Canon scanner. Two lines read:
インストール済み ginji:Library:Preferences:CanoScan LiDE 50:CNQL40.DAT

作成されたフォルダ: ginji:System:Library:Extensions:CNQL1208_ClassicNotSeize.kext

Hopefully some more technically minded person can throw more light on the subject.

Edit to add: This MacOSX.com problem solver (from 2006) just might be of help - Installing Canon scanner software
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:33:29 AM by Highmac »
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline tacit

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xeromag.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 03:43:59 AM »
QUOTE(dakota @ Nov 19 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard, and aside from some minor glitches ( I installed the newest driver for my printer, but it seems to be using the old driver), and some other disabled items, I am getting the following popup - The system extension "/System/Library/ Extensions/ CNQL401_Classic Not Seize Kext" was installed improperly and can not be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product vendor for an update.

I have NO idea what this refers to. Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance.

It refers to a file named "CNQL401_Classic Not Seize.Kext" which is located inside of a folder called "Extensions" inside a folder called "library" inside the folder called "system" on your hard drive.

A Kext is a Kernel Extension. It is essentially an OS X driver. The error message is telling you that the driver for your CNQL401, whatever that may be, is not installed correctly and must be re-installed.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:35:48 PM by kbeartx »
A whole lot about me: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:19:01 AM »
That extension relates to Classic which would seize control of external hardware. You aren't even able to run Classic on Snow Leopard but the old drivers you have for the scanner don't know that.

All vendor specific devices will be seized by Classic. As a result, they will not be available to ICA when the user is running Classic. This behavior can be overridden via a kext. Please contact Apple if you want your device not to be seized by Classic.

Download the latest Canon drivers from Apple and this should go away.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL899

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:35:46 AM »
I don't have Classic. My scanner is a Canon, and it seems to be working. My printer is an Epson R2400.
So, are you sure you get the message when printing or when scanning? The only info I could find with "CNQL" referred to a scanner, not a printer.

But the Cannon software updater at Apple might be the first thing I'd try, anyway.

Probably wouldn't hurt to download the updated stuff for Epson, either.

I'm simply confused that you say the scanner, which is a Canon, works, but you get an error message that obviously relates to a Canon extension. dntknw.gif

It might not be a bad idea to also archive and then remove all the Printer stuff in both your User and System Libraries for brands you don't have. They are just wasting space anyway. When and if you buy new equipment, you'll probably want to get the latest software anyway.

Offline dakota

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 11:54:16 PM »
I tried the scanner once, to see if it was working.  Yes, the scanner is a Canon 9950.  It did work. I noted on the support page for Canon that if I update the driver, and one other piece of software, the Canoscan Toolbox will not work.  I remember updating the software a while ago, before installing Snow Leopard, and the scanner was not working properly, so I downgraded to the old driver.

I did install the Epson updates, but the driver version I see for my R2400 seems to be the old driver, despite the installation of the newer one.  If I knew where to find all the drivers I do not use or need, and if I could be sure I was not deleting something I needed, I would certainly remove them!

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »
If I knew where to find all the drivers I do not use or need, and if I could be sure I was not deleting something I needed, I would certainly remove them!
You don't absolutely have to do that, it was merely a suggestion and something I do just to recover some space on the hard drive. The following are step by step, "anyone can do this" instructions. wink.gif
    1. Open a finder window and select Column View (command-3).2. Select your boot drive (whatever you named your main hard drive that you normally start up from) in the Side bar. If the Side bar doesn't show that drive, Open Finder Preferences (command-comma with Finder showing next to the Apple on the left-hand side of the Menu bar), click the "Sidebar" tab and check everything in the "Devices" area. Now, select the boot drive.3. Click "Library"4. Click "Printers" (you'll probably need to scroll down in the list).5. Click "PPDs"6. Click "Contents"7. Click "Resources"In the last column on the right, you will see every possible printer that the OS Installer thinks you might ever use.Create a new Folder (command-shift-n) and place all the files with names like HP, Lexmark and any other brand of printer that you DON'T have in it.Select that new folder and change its name to something like "Unused PPDs".With that same folder still selected, select the "Compress [whatever you named that folder]" in the File menu.ou can now simply delete all the files you put into that folder for the brands of printers you DON'T use/have. You will probably be asked for your password before you can actually delete these files.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:03:25 PM by Xairbusdriver »

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 01:11:37 PM »
I'm still confused as to when you get the error message. Can you describe, as completely as possible, the steps you take before you get that message? For example..."With a [please specify the type of document] open I try to print it and get the error message." Or "When I scan a document with these [please specify the scanner settings] settings and expect it to open in [please specify what program your scans normally open in] I get the message." salute.gif

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 11:45:05 PM »
The driver/software link posted at the Apple site was just released on Nov. 16.  I believe it addresses the problems with Snow Leopard.

Worth a try.

As far as the Toolbox, it is not necessary for scanning. Many other software options are available including Image Capture.  I also have a 9950F but am not running Snow Leopard so I can't specifically speak to any problems with it.

Some general info regarding installation of driver:

Remove old Toolbox application.
Remove also Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources/CanoScan 9950F.ds
Disconnect the scanner.

Now run the installer and restart.

If you still have trouble you could try this:

http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:15:32 AM by krissel »

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 02:31:45 AM »
Also, you may not have Rosetta installed and that may be the source of potential problems with the Epson printer.

Read through this article:

http://www.completedigitalphotography.com/?p=738#more-738

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been leading a workshop built around a lab of twenty 20″ iMacs. Apple generously loaned the computers, and when I unboxed them, I found that they were all running the latest version of Snow Leopard (10.6.1). I didn’t think much of this as I set up the computers, figuring it was nice to have an OS more stable than Leopard. However, once I tried to get the two Epson R2400’s working, things got far more complicated. It turns out that, despite Epson’s release of a Snow Leopard-compatible R2400 driver, you may have trouble getting the printers to work with your Snow Leopard-based Macs. And if you want to use Printer Sharing, you’ll need to jump through a few additional hoops.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:33:30 AM by krissel »

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 10:01:42 AM »
Found this reference to what looks to be an identical problem, but different Canon driver in the middle of a long thread on the Apple forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=10210196

BTW, the message you're seeing about the kext is complaining that the system extension that would PREVENT Classic from seizing your device is missing/not installed properly. http://www.elevated-dev.com/Products/fScanX/Details/

What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is that 10.6 doesn't HAVE a Classic mode, so why would you even need that particular kext? huh.gif

If using the Canon software in 10.6 is an issue, you can always use VueScan, which does work with your scanner. I've had it for years, ever since an old Microtek SCSI scanner wasn't supported in OS X, and it's a great piece of software. When I bought an Epson FW/USB scanner, I continued to use it because I liked it better than the Epson software. I can even use it on my multifunction Canon and do, sometimes, although I'm reasonably happy with Canon's software.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline dakota

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 11:17:57 PM »
Well, the scanner appears to be working, with the software I had before upgrading to Snow Leopard.  I have not tried updating the drivers or software.  At this point, my feeling is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  The message MAY have come up when I first ran the scanner through its paces, but I have not seen it since.  As for my R2400, the driver version it is using seems to be an older version, despite the fact that I installed the newer one on Epson's site.  Again, it's working, so I am not going to complain...right now. rolleyes.gif BTW, I did install Rosetta.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 03:16:34 AM by Highmac »

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 10:05:56 AM »
Thanks for the update! And confirming that the scanner is not the problem.

BTW, I did install Rosetta.
That might very well explain the missing error messages, maybe. dntknw.gif

If you have further problems, I suggest logging into a different account. It's very handy to have at least one extra account just for this kind of testing. It's best if it has the minimum of extra apps/startup items/plugins/etc. It will be able to use any of the installed applications but it will be "pure" in the sense that it won't have anything you may have added in your main account. Using this extra account will let you test the apps or procedures that are causing problems in your main account. If they still occur, the problem is usually in the OS or System apps. If the problem does not occur, the problem is usually in something you've added or changed in your main account. Just that one, simple, single step eliminates almost have the causes of any problem. thumbup.gif