Author Topic: iBook display freakout  (Read 2453 times)

Offline jjoan

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
iBook display freakout
« on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:40 PM »
I gave my ancient iBook G3 to my dear friend, it's been running splendidly until today, when she called and said she had very bright horizontal, then vertical stripes in bright colors, sort of alternating scary displays. Now it starts up (hear the chime) then a black screen.

Is this the end? Any ideas?

Joan

Offline Parker

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nyparty.net
iBook display freakout
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
My iBook G3 starts up and the screen turns on and then the screen goes dark.
On my iBook, while the screen may be dark, the LCD itself is actually showing a picture but there is just no backlight.

Can he make out anything on the screen or is it black like it is powered off?
If it is just the backlight that isn't working, you would need to replace the power inverter for the screen which is a cheap part for only about 20 bucks.
http://www.yallstore.com/laptop-lcd-invert...-12-p-2866.html

A way you can rule out if it's the Graphics Processor or just the LCD inverter, aside from reading the screen in a well-lit area, is to plug the computer into a monitor or television. Seeing a picture on an external monitor will likely rule out a problem with the logic board.
This account isn't hacked...
I'm actually back from hiatus (and its about darn time too)!

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
iBook display freakout
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:56:15 PM »
PARKER!Parker! Who is that using that young gentleman's name?! rant.gif Wait till he finds out! Where are the admins when we need them! The site's been highjacked! Run for the hills! scram.gif
laughhard.gif

Is that really you, Parker? Have you graduated or did you get expelled? eek2.gif tease.gif In either case, Welcome Aboard, again!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:56:32 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jjoan

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
iBook display freakout
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 04:29:53 AM »
QUOTE(Parker @ Feb 23 2010, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My iBook G3 starts up and the screen turns on and then the screen goes dark.
On my iBook, while the screen may be dark, the LCD itself is actually showing a picture but there is just no backlight.

Can he make out anything on the screen or is it black like it is powered off?
If it is just the backlight that isn't working, you would need to replace the power inverter for the screen which is a cheap part for only about 20 bucks.
http://www.yallstore.com/laptop-lcd-invert...-12-p-2866.html

A way you can rule out if it's the Graphics Processor or just the LCD inverter, aside from reading the screen in a well-lit area, is to plug the computer into a monitor or television. Seeing a picture on an external monitor will likely rule out a problem with the logic board.

How can I hook it up to a TV or external monitor? I didn't know it had that capability. I doubt that I have that cord or adapter. She's going to drop it off here today so I can try to help out with my limited skills. And the help of TS.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
iBook display freakout
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:15:34 AM »
< dntknw.gif >

Connecting an external monitor will depend on the model. The only one I had required an adaptor, can't even remember which one, probably a mini to VGA. Get the <specs> on that specific model at Apple.

Also read one post that suggested putting a flashlight on the logo on the lid to see if it allows some viewing of the display...make sure the flashlight is ON and pointed INTO the logo. Thinking.gif And, avoid looking directly into the light! smile.gif
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:28:46 AM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
iBook display freakout
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:37:57 AM »
Everymac.com has a handy list of iBook AV ports:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/iboo...upport.html#vga

The mini-VGA to VGA adapter is getting hard to find - make sure you're NOT looking at a mini-DVI or mini-Display Port adapter if you do decide to get an adapter.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Parker

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nyparty.net
iBook display freakout
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
You don't necessarily have to plug it in to an external display if you don't have the connections. It's not necessary to go out of your way to diagnose this problem.
Yes, you can even point the computer into the light through the apple or you will be able to read the screen simply by looking at it in bright light, generally outside when it's sunny out (but don't stand directly into the sunlight or you will just see an annoying glare!)

If you can see the desktop, then it is the inverter that is blown.
If the screen is actually black (and you've hit keys on the keyboard to try and get an image on the screen and see if its in sleep mode or not), then you may find yourself seeing a new computer being cheaper.
This account isn't hacked...
I'm actually back from hiatus (and its about darn time too)!