Author Topic: HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY TECHSURVIVORS!  (Read 2919 times)

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY TECHSURVIVORS!
« on: September 18, 2020, 05:25:45 AM »
If my ancient brain is correct, September 18, 2000 was our first day of going live to the public. TS evolved over many months and nearly a thousand emails among the initial 17 founding members. We had met each other at the old NoWonder forum which had undergone changes that we didn't like, so we decided to create our own.

Virtually all of the originals have left the admin, some voluntarily, sadly others we lost to time and human mortality.  :tears:

But after all these years, trials and tribulations, we're still here!   :clap: :yahoo: :thumbup:

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://sonofabeach-beacher.blogspot.com/
Re: HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY TECHSURVIVORS!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 11:05:59 AM »
It's hard to believe, isn’t it?  17 people from all over, tied together by the naive belief that a desire to share knowledge and help people with their computer problems shouldn't be monetized, could forge a lasting “institution” like Techsurvivors!  That we could overcome personality differences, and an attempted “highjacking” of the web site, once it was up and running, which involved the change from “.com” to “.net”, and have it still here 20 years later?  Well,  :whoosh:  :whew:  :thumbup:  :clap:

The main difference that I see is the HUGE reduction in questions involving major problems with the Macintosh system; I still bump into things once and awhile, but, thanks to all of you guys and the things that I learned here, I haven’t had to take my computers in and pay someone else to  handle them for me!

I have to ask, “Did anybody foresee the day when there wouldn’t be a need, or even the ability to purchase DiskWarrior?  :yahoo:

Once again,  :thanx: for being here for us in our time of need! :drink:

Offline jwboyd

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 11:19:28 AM »
I, too, moved over from NoWonder. Hard to believe it has been 20 years! And, like beacher, I have noticed there are fewer questions and seemingly less need for assistance. Does this mean we have all become more knowledgeable with regard to our beloved Macs? But occasionally I do need a question answered, and I thank all who have come to my aid.

RIP to those old-timers who are no longer with us.

Joe
I'm not a complete idiot -- a few parts are missing!

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 11:25:53 AM »
Happy Birthday to us!  :clap:

Though I wasn't in on the ground floor, quite, I've been here since the very early days, thanks to an invite from Gary, who I knew from MacFixit. I was quite active at MacFixit until it went downhill after Ted sold it to TechTracker, and Ilene was turfed out. Some of the old MacFixit folks are at FTM, I think. Ah, the old days! When forums were king...(ok, now I sound like an old fogey)

Hey, Ed! How are things out on the left coast? Worrying about all you folks and the forest fires. The second biggest fire (at least by my visual inspection of maps) out there is within 40 miles of Corvallis, where we used to live. Our friends there are suffering somewhat from the smoke - though it's been worse in other places further away. We've even had some haze from the smoke way over here in Ontario.

Yeah. DiskWarrior - I haven't bought a new version of that since version 3, I think. It used to be one of my must-haves. But haven't felt the need for it any time lately. I haven't had a new(er) drive throw serious errors in years; if they go bad, they go really bad and get replaced.

So much has changed in the last 20 years - but it's nice to know that some of us are still around and still avid Mac users and though it seems like we don't have very many Mac issues to sort out these days, as Beacher and Joe note, we can still help each other out occasionally. :)

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 12:12:59 PM »
Can't tell you when I stumbled upon this place, nor how I found y'all. I didn't move over from any other forums. Sneakers might have joined first.  :dntknw:  I've gotten lots of good help, some harassment (all in good fun), and been able to help others (all though not so much as I'm way behind the times).

Anyhow, this is "home" to me.

Now, back to packing my physical home so I can move to my new home.

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 12:58:12 PM »
Hooray!!! Congrats!!!! I can't begin to tell you how often I've come here for answers and baby-step directions to solve a problem! I know I was one of the earlier people who joined waaaay back.  So thankful for the people here!
 :clap: :thumbup:
Desktop iMac, running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, 16 GB installed, with Time Machine and SuperDuper! backup on two external hard drives...and I like to bake.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 01:31:39 PM »
20 YEARS?! And still the friendliest Mac/Tech Help site I know of! :yes: Thanks for all the work the Founders put in to make this site possible! Us youngin's Appreciate all you old fogies!!! :laughhard:

BTW, what time is the party?! It's still at Paddy's new lake house, right? I'm bringing Dr. Pepper and blond brownies!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jwboyd

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 02:03:02 PM »
Hey, Jim!

Your anniversary party idea sounds great. Reminds me of our Ohio gathering. You're serving my kind of refreshments. Send directions to the lake house. I know of a river house in Tennessee we might be able to use if the lake house isn't available.
I'm not a complete idiot -- a few parts are missing!

Offline RobW

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 09:53:48 PM »
20 years?? Wow--hard to believe that my Performa 6115 is able to run Catalina. :rofl: Great to see so many old friends. And Krissel, my registration date is 9/18/20.  :clap:
-Rob
A couple of IMacs, an iPad, a bunch of iPhones...two of which don’t live here, but I still pay for. Oh yeah, wife, daughters, and yes—a grandson!

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 05:04:38 AM »
Oh, Raahbbb...   :D

So good to see you! Hope all is well with you and family. Yes, I do remember you were one of the first to log in on our opening day. Funny how some things are lost in the deep recesses of our past and pop up with a small reminder.

And Ed, good to hear from you, too. I was wondering if you were still making your home on the waterfront. Is is getting harder to climb all those stairs?  :ohmy:

Just seeing some of the names from yesteryear jogs a lot of memories, most good, some not so, but all part of the great learning experience that has come with TS. I sometimes wonder how different my life would be had I not joined up with that group of individuals who wouldn't accept  things as they were. One thing for sure, I would have missed meeting and making friends with an amazing group of people from all over the world.

Yes, there is not as much of a need for tech help with Macs since we no longer have to troubleshoot extensions, PCI cards, SCSI and a host of other ills. With the internet becoming more sophisticate with search, most people can find answers by themselves if they understand the basics of what to ask. Still, everyone is a beginner at some point, or needs a little help now and then or advice on purchases, etc. That's why we're still here.   :)

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Jack W

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 08:36:11 AM »
That get-together up here in Ohio was a great opportunity to see some of the faces behind the posts.  And thanks to all of you over the years here at TS who have enriched my Mac experiences and provided me with a wealth of help.

Happy Anniversary TS !!!

Jack
Good to be Here.

My Macs: 2010 27" alum iMac 2.8GHz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Mavericks 10.9.5, 4GB SDRAM (Workhorse),
13” Late 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 10.6.8, 2GB SDRAM,
(2) External HD - Firewire/USB Macally Enclosures  with 1TB Hitachi Drives,
Time Machine external drive - ditto above - 1/2 TimeMac

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 08:41:49 PM »
I'd be happy to host y'all at the lake house...but unless you're planning on canoeing over from Rochester, you might have some difficulty at the border right now. ;)

Summer is lovely...but winter is interesting too!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:58:14 PM by Paddy »
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 04:40:29 AM »
Paddy, I'd be careful about inviting anyone from south of the border to your place. With all that's going on down here you would have a hard time getting us to leave.   :toothgrin:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:55:28 AM by Paddy »

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 11:55:49 AM »
Paddy, I'd be careful about inviting anyone from south of the border to your place. With all that's going on down here you would have a hard time getting us to leave.   :toothgrin:

No doubt! ;)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 01:38:49 PM »
Do we have a choice of the two "atmosphere's" pictured?

Canoeing is the only way we'd be able to avoid the Canadian Border Patrol. According to what I've read, we will then be told to either immediately start driving toward Alaska (maps and directions included) or the US border, we will be given 5 days to accomplish that task, with or without a canoe.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes: