Author Topic: Why Change Things?!  (Read 840 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Why Change Things?!
« on: November 02, 2021, 11:23:31 AM »
Some days ago, I noticed that I was using iCloud to sync/store Contacts. At 3.4 GB of my allotted 5, I decided to uncheck "Contacts" in the list of apps using iCloud.

Today, I needed to look up a phone number for a relative. I was greeted by an almost completely blank 'view' of my contacts! Undeterred, I started typing in the name of the person. Sure enough, there was the card and info I needed.

I was a bit disturbed, however, that there seemed to be only a hand-full of actual 'cards'?! Fortunately, my iDevices still showed all my contact collection. But, how does one do much, if any, transferring of data from a mobile device to anywhere?! iOS has never heard of 'Drag-n-Drop'! :whistling:

Searches were not much help and were quite dated. Even at TS the most helpful post suggested using iTunes! But the key word that helped was the mention of iCloud (backup/storage/synching). I went back to System Prefs and looked for "iCloud". Of course, there is no item/icon labeled "iCloud. :wallbash:

I typed "contacts" in the search box and decided "Internet Accounts" might have some help. After all, "iCloud" is just another "internet" account/place. Sure enough, there was the UN-checked Contacts item. I checked it and got absolutely no visual/audible indication of any change other than the appearance of the checkmark. :blink: Did anything actually happen?! :dntknw:

A few minutes later, after opening my iCloud account at Apple and seeing my Contacts were there :sweatingbullets:, I went back and opened Contacts.app and there were all my contacts!!! :yahoo:

So, people still wonder why some of us dislike "change"?! The above nerve-racking, high-blood-pressure-causing situation is why!!! :wallbash: :coolio: The fact that I caused this problem is irrelevant!! :blush-anim-cl:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: Why Change Things?!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 12:09:16 PM »
I used Time Machine as my first attempt to restore my Contacts and found another still very concerning situation:

I selected "Contacts.app" in the list of Applications in Finder. When TM opened Contacts was there. Going back to any previous time/date (at least anything on October) never displayed any existence of the app! :eek:

Same things happens with "App Store.app", "Calendar.app" and "Photos.app". :dntknw: Even returning to the last TM backup, those apps have disappeared. Of these three apps, only Photos is listed/checked in iCloud Prefs. Inconsistency reigns?

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 07:45:39 PM »
So, people still wonder why some of us dislike "change"?! The above nerve-racking, high-blood-pressure-causing situation is why!!! :wallbash: :coolio:

Exactly, very well put! Very much a good part of the reason I find myself dreading the upgrade to High Sierra on my MBP... what might go wrong like the last time I tried a what should have been a simple OS update. I do think my blood pressure went through the roof!  :wacko:

The fact that I caused this problem is irrelevant!!  :blush-anim-cl:

But that's just it... IMHO you did nothing to cause said problem so far as I know. You are supposed to be able to decide what iCloud backs up and what you don't want it to back up. Further more I know of no reason why you should not be able to change your mind and decide to change those back up options. However I did try it with Notes once and then later decided not to back it up with iCloud so unchecked it. I still had my Notes app however all notes were gone... I got them back after signing into iCloud online... it sounds like in much the same way as your Contacts.

I am curious though, since the time that all happened and your Time Machine... are the new backups being made with Time Machine showing the missing apps again?

I've always been able to sync such things with iTunes... I don't know a lot about the newest OS's but there must still be a way to sync them. I know iTunes is no longer but I thought one could do drag and drop as when the device you want to sync to or from when attached to your computer it's supposed to show up in Finder? I'm sorry I am very sketchy on this but in my researching online I thought I saw something about that. I don't know but perhaps this will help: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mchlada1d602/11.0/mac/11.0 There is a drop down box at the top of the page that covers Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey.
On permanent walk-about... ;)
MacBook Pro Retina, mid-2012, SSD 500GB, 16GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.6, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4.1

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 01:50:15 PM »
Yes, why change something simple like "Do Not Disturb" on the iPhone to something weirdly known as Focus? Does that mean no one can disturb my chili pepper red Ford Focus that is in my garage? If I drive at night, will I need to turn off "Do Not Disturb" in order to get her to go?  :p

I'm finding loads of oddities with iOS 15.1, and I'm not enjoying the changes.  :no2:

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 03:16:30 PM »
Inscrutable question #492.a-6:
When I am notified that I have an app to update and got to the App Store, why do I have to also tap the "Updates" item? Didn't the OS just tell me there was an "Update" and suggest I visit the "Store"? Can't the OS even communicate with the companies own set of apps to tell it why I'm opening it? :dntknw: :coolio: :doh: :whoosh:

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 05:25:36 PM »
Apparently Focus
lets you stay in the moment when you need to concentrate or step away from your device.
  :dntknw:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT212608

However no where can I find any mention of any chili pepper red Ford Focus, Kimmer...  :flower-smilie:
On permanent walk-about... ;)
MacBook Pro Retina, mid-2012, SSD 500GB, 16GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.6, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4.1

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 10:44:51 AM »
Jim, I'm in total agreement with your Inscrutable question #492.a-6!

Apparently Focus
lets you stay in the moment when you need to concentrate or step away from your device.
  :dntknw:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT212608

However no where can I find any mention of any chili pepper red Ford Focus, Kimmer...  :flower-smilie:
:rofl: