Author Topic: LibreWolf anyone?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
LibreWolf anyone?
« on: November 19, 2021, 06:52:18 AM »
I came across LibreWolf while browsing MacUpdate. It looks interesting but there are no reviews posted there. Does anyone have experience with it?
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: LibreWolf anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 08:51:34 AM »
None here. Patiently awaiting your review! :thumbup: :yahoo:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 03:55:02 PM »
Found this while reading the documentation: https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/
You can test your browser's security there.
Test your browser to see how well you are protected from tracking and fingerprinting:

My Firefox returns:

While my Safari returns:
On permanent walk-about... ;)
MacBook Pro Retina, mid-2012, SSD 500GB, 16GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.6, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4.1

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 04:08:28 PM »
On Firefox I have Adblock Plus, Privacy Possum and Privacy Badger extensions while on Safari I have no extensions. I know they exist but I've never quite been able to figure out how to get them. But this DOES explain why on at least one site I need to use absolutely will NOT let me in with Firefox but with Safari I can get in no problem.

I will definitely be letting them know that if I have to accept exposure to danger to use the site, I won't be using them anymore!  :wallbash:

Anyway... based on what I've seen in the documentation it seems to me that LibreWolf may well be worth a try... :) I just need to get passed "tweaking" my recent High Sierra upgrade and then I think I'll give it a try!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 06:36:45 PM by Dreambird »
MacBook Pro Retina, mid-2012, SSD 500GB, 16GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.6, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4.1

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 05:14:40 PM »
Might want to note the version and settings you have in Safari? :Thinking:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 05:35:30 PM »
Quote from: Dreambird
while on Safari I have no extensions. I know they exist but I've never quite been able to figure out how to get them.
In Big Sur, the Safari menu has an option for extensions, but I don't remember if that's so in High Sierra. In any event, you should be able to search for them at App Store. App Store can install them for you.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 06:50:28 PM »

Safari version I have is 13.1.2, and yes upon checking there is an option for extensions in the Safari menu. This version of Safari was an update available when I upgraded to High Sierra.

I still have a lot of things to go through including the Safari settings and exploring the extensions. I've always used Firefox the vast majority of the time until it refused to sign into some sites so I turned to Safari for that but it certainly needs some more "setting up."

LibreWolf does sound quite interesting too just from going through the documentation.

As far as "some" sites are concerned it seems to me that they simply want to discourage the use of extensions that block ads, tracking and fingerprinting. Nice for them I suppose but not for me! IMO, it's sneaky and makes me angry.

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 06:52:56 AM »
I don't have those Rapport extensions and I'm surprised that your version of Safari has them by default. On another note, for more about LibreWolf and similar browsers, see this FTM thread.
Jon

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 05:05:46 PM »
Any ideas of how best to proceed would be most appreciated!
Yes. Move all these "Rapport" comments to a new thread. This thread topic is about the LibreWolf app.
  • Create a new thread with an appropriate name.
  • Delete your "Rapport" posts, one at a time. Just copy the text in the TS Pst Editor
  • Paste it into a new post in the new thread.
There is no step 4!

Thanks! :clap: And Happy Thanksgiving!! :yum:

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 05:57:37 PM »
OK, will do quickly as I can...  :) Just got dog back from the Vet minus 4 teeth... don't know who hurts more! Me or him...  :blush-anim-cl:

It makes sense to separate the 2 topics, no problem! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!  :coolio:

*edit**

I've moved the posts regarding Rapport to it's own thread: https://techsurvivors.net/forums/index.php?topic=29000.0

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 04:14:48 AM by Dreambird »

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 10:33:52 AM »
Thanks Jon for that link... lots of interesting stuff there. I've just looked it over but will have time for a good read later today... honestly I'm glad to see there are lots of choices for good browsers! :)