Author Topic: LightRoom problem (Tacit, Paddy, Anyone?)  (Read 1467 times)

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://sonofabeach-beacher.blogspot.com/
LightRoom problem (Tacit, Paddy, Anyone?)
« on: May 27, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »
Hey guys, I've been using LR 6.14 (the last version you could actually buy without being held hostage to their "subscription" model!) for a long time, along with ON1 (since V.8, now ON1RAW), and have had no complaints, because I don't need the newest & greatest.  I know that they disabled the "MAPS" agreement that they had with Google, but why the heck, with the GPS info embedded into my photos, does that no longer get imported?  Is there any workaround that you know of?  ON1 has it, but I've found no way to apply that info from ON1 and copy it into LR photos, other than 1 by 1, which is a miserable way to have to deal with hundreds/thousands of photos!  :wallbash: I've tried to highlight a bunch of photos, and copy the GPS info onto 1, but the rest of the photos don't show it, and this is driving me nuts, now that I'm doing some traveling!  As usual, thanks in advance for any info, and you're welcome to contact me through my email if you wish (we do still have that option here, right?

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: LightRoom problem (Tacit, Paddy, Anyone?)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 03:48:10 PM »
I don't use LR any more but I thought you might try a web search for EXIF data and/or batch editors (for Mac, of course). You should get several hits (even found some at the Mac App Store), but you'll probably need to inspect the details of any app to see if it can be of use. Good luck! :salute: And please let us know what you find! :yes:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:28:39 AM »
I haven't ever used the GPS features of Lightroom, actually. Would something like this help?

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/gps

I am currently considering my options with regard to Lightroom. I love it and am so familiar with it, but if it's going to fall over with the next iteration of the Mac OS where it's 64-bit-or-bust, then I am faced with these choices:
1. Pay Adobe $160/yr (CDN) for Lightroom/PS CC
2. Cough up $417 (CDN) for Capture One Pro (I could get the Sony version since all my cameras are now Sony, but then I can't do edits on older Canon pics or any client stuff with C1)
3. Hope LR 6 continues to work...(or not update my Macs, which really isn't an option in my line of work...)

I own ON1, and Affinity Photo (which is a very good Photoshop substitute) - ON1's raw conversion isn't as good as Lightroom's and it's DAM capabilities don't match LR or C1 as yet from all reports. I need both the RAW editing and the DAM and would prefer to have that in the same app - I do 95% of my work in Lightroom and some of it's plugins. I need to block out some time and download the trial version of C1 to really get a feel for it. Then maybe I'll be ready to decide.

$160/yr is not the end of the world, but it really, really irks me that Adobe has removed all choice. They PROMISED that they wouldn't remove the perpetual license option for Lightroom, but then reneged. I have no wish to reward them for this decision. But there aren't a lot of really GOOD alternatives to LR. Affinity Photo is will definitely do for my PS substitute, and I'm using Affinity Publisher now (even though it's still in beta) instead of InDesign. Have Acrobat 2017 through the local historical society, of which I'm secretary (web person, IT person, digitization project lead, etc. etc.) so that issue is now moot, because PDFPen Pro, which I own now, wasn't cutting it some of the time.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 09:11:45 AM »
Paddy,

I pay Adobe's extortion fee for PS and LR (I don't use LR but it comes along for the ride). The cost, on a monthly basis, is something I don't feel ($10.79 USD) even though I resent the thievery. I use PS instead of another app because I get absolutely accurate color with it. My display is calibrated with i1Profiler and I let PS handle the colors.

My question: Do you print using Affinity? If so, what are your settings and how accurate are the colors? I have never tried Affinity but I'm open to suggestion.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 06:54:48 PM »
I haven't tried printing anything with Affinity yet. Good thing to try - I should. I have a colour calibrator - a Datacolor Spyder4 - but haven't run it lately. Knowing my luck, it won't be usable on the next OS - not even sure it will work on Mojave, since I'm still running High Sierra. (That would be the second time I managed to buy a colour calibrator towards the end of its useful lifespan...)

So much to do...so little time. ;)
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 07:29:33 PM »
I agree, Paddy, that ON1 is not as good as LR for what I do, and I use that as a plugin with LR; it just seems that with the 2 of them, I can accomplish what I want to do, but this is very irritating.  My MPB is about 5 years old, and I'm praying , like you, that the next incarnation of OS will still run LR, but if it wont, then I'll stick with what I've got until it no longer functions!  I do not want to lay out another 3K for a new one, especially when Mac seems to have reached a point where they don't want us to be able to modify/repair any of the innards! 

I'd much rather drop that coin on a new A7Riii, :notworthy:, even if I can't shoot up to the potential of my A99 or A77ii!  Equipment lust is just so. . . enticing!

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 06:36:45 AM »
...I do not want to lay out another 3K for a new one, especially when Mac seems to have reached a point where they don't want us to be able to modify/repair any of the innards! 

I'd much rather drop that coin on a new A7Riii, :notworthy:, even if I can't shoot up to the potential of my A99 or A77ii!  Equipment lust is just so. . . enticing!

I hear you, but I'm afraid my trusty 7-year-old MBP may need replacing sooner than yours - it's got screen rot. I, unfortunately, didn't realize that this bit of funniness around the edge wasn't coming off and was in fact a flaw that Apple had identified, until the extended warranty was well over - and it's gotten much worse in the last few months for unknown reasons. :( https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/24/apple-extended-anti-reflective-repair-program/

Otherwise, it's fine - so that's a bit maddening. I could get the screen replaced - but that's a costly repair on a 7 year-old machine - and then there's the battery. It says "service battery" - but it lists the charge at 6257 mAh, which is 73% of the original 8460 mAh capacity. I keep it plugged in most of the time now, so it's not an issue and still lasts a couple of hours or so unplugged. So...not doing anything for now. ;) If I knew this Mac would still run the current OS for another 5 years, I'd do the replacements - it's a very capable machine still. But the Mojave system requirements list this one as the minimum, so how long before it drops off the list entirely?

Ah, the A7Riii...drool, drool. I *did* buy full frame lenses for my A6500 and A6000 in anticipation of eventually getting one. Or at least, I've left the door open for the possibility. ;) I do love the size of the Alpha series though. It will be interesting to see what the successor to the A6500 looks like.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:31:00 AM by Paddy »

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 11:52:34 AM »
Looks like LR will run on Mojave, but maybe not after that. . .

So far, fingers crossed, my mid-12 is having no problems other than the fact that when I finally installed High Sierra, I was stupid enough to let it change my hard drive to the AFIS, so I can't use DiskWarrior, and I've been waiting, chewing my fingernails and again, fingers crossed, for Alsoft to catch up!

Oh yeah, years ago, when I had my first “real” digital camera, a Sony A100, I replaced the kit lens with a Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8, which led to a SERIOUS case of lens lust, to which I have given in MUCH too often!  And the guys over at Dyxum have been no help, either!  :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:00:21 PM by beacher »