Author Topic: Eudora Address Book & Mailboxes  (Read 6334 times)

Offline bellbram

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
Eudora Address Book & Mailboxes
« on: February 03, 2004, 09:53:47 PM »
I use Deja Vue as an automatic nightly back-up.  Backs up all my data files to an external HD, no problem.   But I don't seem able to get it to back up Eudora properly.   I can't even find where Eudora keeps the Mailbox files.
Any clues please?

Offline dakota

• Super Duper Poster
  • Late 2019 27" iMac 10.14.5, mid-2010 27" iMac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 11:41:49 PM »
Which OS are you using?  It makes a difference as to where Eudora files are located.
To err is human, to forgive canine

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 12:27:58 AM »
If OS 9, you'll find the Eudora folder in the system folder. Within that there is a Mail folder with all your goodies. There is also a file called Eudora Nicknames which is essentially your address book so backup that as well. In fact you could backup the whole Eudora folder but you would be copying a ton of ads if you have the sponsored version.
rolleyes.gif

If you have separate partitions/systems like I do, each system folder has different mail boxes so be sure to copy those as well.

My PB with X is not booted now so will defer to someone else for that location.

wink.gif
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 12:29:43 AM by krissel »

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Mayo

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 10:34:42 AM »
In Panther the Eudora files are in the Documents folder...

Offline dakota

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 03:11:13 PM »
Once a week, I drag and drop the Eudora Application folder and the Eudora folder from documents, onto another drive to copy them, so I keep a fairly curreny copy of the files.

Offline bellbram

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 06:13:46 PM »
I'm using 10.2.8.  Have found the Eudora Folder in the Documents Folder on the Hard Drive, and sure enough the Mail Folder is there.  But there's something odd about the address bookBaldhoon Road  Instead of saying Address Book, the folder is entitled Eudora Nicknames and they're in the craziest order, i.e. no order, not alphabetical just seemingly random and each address is prefixed with the word 'alias'.   Is there any place where Eudora keeps a folder of the address book as it really is?

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 10:15:11 PM »
Here's the official word from Eudora, basically what has been said already.

What/how to move/backup for Eudora

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 10:46:39 PM »
As to the "alias" in front of each nickname, I think it is used by Eudora in its original pure meaning, that is, a name that stands for someone, not the extended use that the Mac OS has for "alias".

If you note there is "alias" then the nickname, then the actual email address for that nickname. In a sense they are being redundant by using alias and nickname together.

As to why they are arranged in such a haphazard method in the nickname file, I haven't a clue.
 huh.gif

I did reindex my address book by holding down the option key, going to Window, Address Book . Then I dragged the nickname file to BBedit but the text stayed in the same order as before the reindexing.
 dry.gif

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline bellbram

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 04:06:37 AM »
Thanks krissel.   I think I'll just have to drag and drop manually as Deja Vu sems to have a problem with Eudora.   I've checked out the Eudora site you mentioned.  Their comment seems a bit incomplete.  This is what they say:

All your mailboxes, mail folders, address books, signatures, stationery, and settings are stored in the Eudora Folder. Copy this entire folder to the new computer and place it in either the Documents folder on the new computer.

...in either the Documents folder or.....what? huh.gif

Never mind.  We'll struggle on.   I see my thread seems to have sparked you off on a Eudora trail.  Your subsequent posts are jolly interesting — and useful.   Not sure about the transvestite bit!

Peter

Offline Mayo

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 01:39:35 PM »
It doesn't matter where you put the backup copy of your Eudora files, unless you are running Eudora on another Mac and want to be able to use the files.  Then it should be put in the location appropriate for your version of Eudora and the Mac OS.

Personally, backing up manually has been a lot easier for me than trying to get Retorspect and other backup apps to work properly.  As long as you are organized, backing up the documents folder along with your Internet bookmarks just about covers it.  In my case I also backup Web Confidential on a regular basis.

Of course, if you place files in other places than your documents folder then you need to add those folders to your backup system.

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 10:57:49 PM »
Peter, yes, you got me going... wink.gif

I noticed that "either" as well. Then I realized is was just a case of a lazy copywriter. Later on the page, the OS 9 instructions have the exact same wording except they add "system folder".

All your mailboxes, mail folders, address books, signatures, stationery, and settings are stored in the Eudora Folder. Copy this entire folder to the new computer and place it in either the Documents folder or the System Folder on the new computer.

I think they just cut out "or the System Folder" and used the same paragraph not noticing the "either" was left wanting... smile.gif

And the transvestite reference gave me a doubletake, too. eek2.gif  blueeek.gif

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline bellbram

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 12:50:41 AM »
I thought we'd come to the end of this thread, but Mayo has reminded me of something I meant to ask ages ago and forgot.   He mentions backing up Internet bookmarks.   I've always wanted to do that but not known how.
Can I have a lesson please mayo?

Offline dakota

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 01:17:58 AM »
On IE or Netscape?  You need to take the folder which has the bookmarks (profile in Netscape) and copy the whole folder over.

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 05:20:22 AM »
In IE just copy the Favorites.html file. Or if you do copy the whole Explorer folder make sure you trash the cache first or you will be saving junk.

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline bellbram

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 07:12:40 PM »
krissel, I know I'm stupid, and just come home from a night out, but WHERE do I find the IE Favorites HTML file?  Sorry to be so thick.  Just forgive an old man, and let me into the secret,   I'm going to bed now, but will look for your response in the morning.   Night night. tongue.gif