Author Topic: Tiger to Leopard  (Read 9817 times)

Offline daryl66

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« on: November 08, 2008, 12:07:16 PM »
It appears that sometime in the very near future I will have to jump over the bridge and move onto Leopard. Groaner.gif  Application computability stands at the forefront of my concerns. I thought  I recalled a thread or 2 addressing that very issue existing here.  If it does, I cannot find it (probably cockpit issue on the search). nopity.gif   At this point the question is general and not yet specific. We still have not decided which Mac is going to replace the broken one. wallbash.gif

There is a band aid in place for now. thumbup.gif

Thanks

Daryl
2019 27" iMac OSX 14.4 2011 MBP OSX 10.13.6, 2017 MBAir OSX 12.7.4, iPad IOS 17.4.1, iPhone13 IOS 17.4.1, iPhone SE IOS 17.4.1, Watch 9, M2 MBA OSX 14.4

Offline Gregg

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 12:46:31 PM »
I'm no xbert, but I'd be surprised if there were many issues to make that leap jump hop. We bought the spotted cat for our son when he graduated so he'd be up to date for grad school. I think he was running a fancy sports car at the time; more of a jump in his case. I don't recall him telling us he needed to replace any of his software. So, I guess the specifics do matter. He didn't have many applications, just the basics.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:47:30 PM by Gregg »
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Cupertino can have better TV reception.

Offline Mayo

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 01:05:14 PM »
List Of Applications Not Compatible With Leopard

If you have a bootable Tiger volume on an external hard drive you can update it with Leopard and then run your Mac off the external drive until you are certain there are no problems. Then you can either upgrade your Mac's internal drive or use SuperDuper! to copy the external volume to the internal.

I ran Leopard for a week from an external and then used the second option and it Worked Like A Charm.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:07:23 PM by Mayo »

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 02:21:42 PM »
Great link, Mayo. I'm gonna bookmark it, because the day will come when, kicking and screaming, I will add spots. biggrin.gif

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 02:31:24 PM »
Mayo, that won't work in Daryl's case as he is considering buying a new Mac. He could of course put his old hard drive in an external case and then run the programs from there (without updating anything). I'm sort of doing the same thing right now - with my MBP hooked to various external drives as my G5 is in the shop. Of course, Leopard was running on both machines and all the drives, so the only incompatibilities have been in versions of iPhoto (forgot I hadn't updated the G5 to iLife '08).

Also, the list of applications that you linked to has not been updated since February 13, 2008 and is now seriously out of date. In just looking at the beginning of the list of apps with "major issues", I knew that 2 of them had most certainly been updated since then. Checking revealed that both Applejack and Unsanity's Application Enhancer are now fully 10.5 compatible. Ventrilo was also updated and works fine - both my sons use it constantly under 10.5.

The list of applications that work but previous versions have issues is probably the most useful. However, again - it's not completely up to date either. Adobe's CS3 apps (Acrobat 8 in particular) have now been updated and work fine.

Things that I know from personal experience work fine in 10.5 (some of which are obvious since they're installed as part of the system or are Apple apps):

1Password
AbiWord
Acquisition
Address Book
Address Book Exporter
Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional
Adobe Bridge
Adobe Bridge CS3
Adobe Device Central CS3
Adobe DNG Converter
Adobe Dreamweaver CS3
Adobe Dreamweaver CS4
Adobe Extension Manager
Adobe Extension Manager CS4
Adobe Flash CS3
Adobe Flash CS3 Video Encoder
Adobe GoLive CS
Adobe Help Center
Adobe Help Viewer 1.1
Adobe Illustrator CS3
Adobe InDesign CS3
Adobe Lightroom
Adobe Photoshop CS3
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2
Adobe Photoshop Elements 6
Adobe Reader 8
Adobe Stock Photos CS3
Adobe Studio
AirPort Client Monitor
AirPort Management Utility
AllBookmarks
Amaya
Amazon MP3 Downloader
AOL Radio
AppFresh
AppleScript
AppleWorks 6
Art Directors Toolkit 4
Audacity
Audio Hijack Pro
Audion 3
Automator
Balthisar Tidy
BBEdit 6.5
BBEdit Support
Bookit
Calculator
Camino
Canon Utilities
Carbon Copy Cloner
Chicken of the VNC
ChronoSync
ColorTagGen
Corel Painter 8
crunch 2
CSSEdit
Cyberduck
Dashboard
DEVONnote
Dictionary
Dim-b153.jar
disclabel NEATO Edition
DivX Converter
DivX Player
DVD Player
EasyFind
Excalibur
Export-Import Entourage X-135
Exposé
Fetch 4.0.3
Firefox 3
Firefox 2
FirstClass
Flip4Mac
Flock
Font Book
Front Row
Galerie
GarageBand
Glide
Google Earth
GraphicConverter
HBImageProcessor 1.0
HTML-Optimizer 7.8.2
iCab
iCal
iChat
iDVD
iLoveFonts(OSX)
Image Capture
ImageIndexer 1.02
ImageWell
iMovie HD
iNet Stream Archiver
Installers
Internet Explorer
iPhoto
iPhoto Buddy
iResize 1.0
iSync
iTuneMyWalkman
iTunes
iWeb
iWork '06
Jalbum
JewelToy(Quartz)
KoalaCalc 4
Kodak EasyShare
LightZone
LimeWire
Longwood Wizards Guild
MacJanitor 1.2.1
Macromedia Contribute 3
Macromedia Fireworks 8
Macromedia FreeHand MXa
Mail
Mail Forward
Mail Scripts
memtest
Merriam-Webster
Meteorologist
Microsoft Mouse
Microsoft Office X
Microsoft Office 2004
Microsoft Office 2008
Minotaur
Move up one level
Mozilla
My Photo Album 4.2
NeatImage
NeoOffice
Netscape
NewsMac
Nvu
OmniDiskSweeper
OmniGraffle
OmniOutliner
OmniPage SE
OmniPage_SE_Direct_OCR
OmniWeb
OnyX
Open XML Converter
OpenOffice.org
Opera
Overflow
Pacifist
PatchBurn 3
PDFtoHTML
Pen Tablet
Photo Booth
PhotoPage 1.6b2
PhotoReviewer
PhotoStitch
PhotoStudio
PHPphotoAlbum
Picasa Web Albums Uploader
Picturesque
Plain Clip
Poisoned
Preferential Treatment
Preview
Quicken 2005 (not sure about this - never use it any more!)
QuickTime Player
RapidWeaver 4.0
RAW
REALbasic
RealPlayer
Roadbook
Safari Bookmark Exporter
Safari Enhancer
Safari3
SafariBookmarkChecker
SafariSorter
SeaMonkey
Shiira
Simple CSS
SMARTReporter
SnapNDrag
Spaces
Standard Dictionary
Stickies
StreamRipperX
StuffIt Expander
StuffIt Standard 8.0.2
Style Master 4.5.1 Demo
Sunrise
SuperDuper!
Sync Entourage-Address Book 1.2.6
System Preferences
Tablet
Temperature Monitor
TextEdit
TextWrangler
Time Machine
TinkerTool
TNEF's Enough 2.0
Transmission
Transmit
TransType
TypeTrainer4Mac
Typinator
udm4
UniSudoku
URL Manager Pro
Utilities
VLC
VueScan
wClock
WeatherPop
WebKit
WebshotsExtractor
Windows Media Player
YemuZip
Zinio
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 02:33:34 PM by Paddy »
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Mayo

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 03:10:18 PM »
Also, the list of applications that you linked to has not been updated since February 13, 2008 and is now seriously out of date.

I didn't bother to check; that bookmark goes into the trash!

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 04:17:24 PM »
To add to Paddy's meager list: tongue.gif

Be aware that you should probably check all sites for any app you use, since they may have upgraded to make use of Leopard capabilities, even though the old one may still run.

Acorn
Backdrop
CandyBar
Cocktail
CoverSutra
DefaultFolderX
Denoise
EasyFind
Excalibur
FIleJuicer
FileMaker 5 (I think) through 9
Folding@home
Growl
iBank
iGlasses
Increase
iStopMotion
MarinerCalc
MarinerWrite
MaxMenu
Monolingual
PandoCalendar
PathFinder
Pixelmator
PopChar
Pref Setter
Quicken 5 (fur sure!)
Snapz Pro X
SpamSieve
SpamStopper
TaskPaper
TextEdit +
VectorDesigner

While some newer machines ran Elements 4, it did not on my Core 2 Duo and I was told it would not by Adobe. They even applied my money to version 6 which was not released at that time. YMMV.

Other than that app, I don't remember any useful program that would not run on Leopard. clap.gif
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 09:39:02 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 07:21:09 PM »
Paddy and ABD ---  thumbup.gif thanx.gif  

I've copied both of your lists for future reference.

Offline MamaMoose

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 02:41:55 AM »
I moved from Tiger to Leopard by upgrading a backup of Tiger to Leopard and then ran the new system. I upgraded to OS 10.5.4 and found very few problems. Be aware of the serial numbers problem. Some software will not let you run the same version on two different OSes. Some software will require you to reenter your serial number. And, some software will run just fine without having to deal with serial numbers. Just make sure you have all your serial numbers and user ids available when you upgrade.

MamaMoose
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:15:32 AM by kbeartx »
Ancient Graybeard Techsurvivors Founder
Dual 2 GHz PPCG5, 3.5 GB RAM, OS 10.4.8
Single core 1.5 GHz Intel Mini, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.4.8

Offline daryl66

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 11:39:46 AM »
QUOTE(Paddy @ Nov 8 2008, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sort of doing the same thing right now - with my MBP hooked to various external drives as my G5 is in the shop. Of course, Leopard was running on both machines and all the drives, so the only incompatibilities have been in versions of iPhoto (forgot I hadn't updated the G5 to iLife '08).

Absolutely GREAT info from everyone, you and ABD in particular.  thanx.gif thanx.gif   I will NOT loose this thread. It would appear that the move will not be too painful. whew.gif

She has close to 1000 photos in Iphoto which is  4.0.3.  Should I expect some grief there as we never did move to Ilife???

I suspect we will move to the new mac  leaving the existing laptop running Tiger for a while. Are there any known issues mixing the two on an in house network, using a D-link router??? unsure.gif  

Daryl
2019 27" iMac OSX 14.4 2011 MBP OSX 10.13.6, 2017 MBAir OSX 12.7.4, iPad IOS 17.4.1, iPhone13 IOS 17.4.1, iPhone SE IOS 17.4.1, Watch 9, M2 MBA OSX 14.4

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:46:13 PM »

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
BTW - if you have Adobe Creative Suite (any version) DEACTIVATE IT under the help menu BEFORE using the migration assistant. I learned that the hard way yesterday with my new Mac Pro. I used Migration Assistant to move everything over and as soon as I opened Photoshop I was told that I had 5 days left to activate it or I could do so now by buying it or entering the serial number. No problem, methinks - and I entered the serial number. "Too many activations" was the response - "deactivate the copy on the old computer"...so I attempted to deactivate the copy on the old hard drive (installed in the Mac Pro, along with 3 others) and I couldn't do it - it was grayed out. So, I had to call Adobe for a new authorization number and get scolded for not deactivating it on the previous drive before I moved it. Having only cloned it before (which works just fine, BTW) I hadn't realized that this would be an issue. rolleyes.gif Gad how I loathe these nuisance activation requirements!
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 08:10:41 PM »
Daryl66 (& Kimmer):

I had more than a dollop of apprehension (not as young as I once was   Thinking.gif ) but when I received Leopard (installed) on a new MB-Pro, it gave me a real chance to break-myself-in with a protected environment, so to speak. It was/is delightful. Truly delightful.

So, about a month ago, I then got round to installing 10.5.5 on my iMac/Intel. I, too, was worried about that out-of-date compatibility roster I saw here, but since I only observed FileMaker Pro therein – from among my long-term favorite apps – I just, well, did it . . . concluding that my MB-Pro experience and the millions who were waaaaay ahead of me (in line) seemed to be plenty happy. The rosters from Paddy, Mayo and AirBusDriver are probably as comprehensive (and practical) as you'll ever find.

My advice: Don't tarry. You'll conclude, I'll wager, that it's the best move you've made with any Mac you’ve ever owned. Leopard is simply amazing. If I can do it, anyone can.  rolleyes.gif

FWIW, I have now completely retired "The Mozillas" for Mail and Safari. Now if someone would only resurrect WordPerfect for the Mac!

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 10:59:39 PM »
QUOTE(RHPConsult @ Nov 24 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FWIW, I have now completely retired "The Mozillas" for Mail and Safari. Now if someone would only resurrect WordPerfect for the Mac!

I actually have 10.5 here (it came out just after I bought my iMac and I was able to buy it for some ridiculous amount).

I'm not willing to bump up until that replacement for Eudora is ready, because I will go kicking and screaming to my grave before I give up Eudora.

Safari is okay, but until they do a makeover and it has the features of FF, I won't switch browsers either.

Oh, I'm sooo stubborn. wink.gif biggrin.gif

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 11:59:35 PM »
It did take about a month (and a 1-to-1 session @ the Burlingame Apple Store) to really get comfortable with Mail (on the MB-Pro). I have been using Mozilla-->Netscape for > 10-12 years!

But, I'll never go back. The "stationery" hooked me, as did the e-mailing of iPhotos.