Author Topic: HELP! Mail question. . .  (Read 2143 times)

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://sonofabeach-beacher.blogspot.com/
HELP! Mail question. . .
« on: May 22, 2021, 08:23:16 PM »
 :sos:  :wallbash: I'm still using Mojave, but today, I was reading my emails, and all of a sudden, my normal Mail went into a “list”

format, and al my mailboxes except the “In” “Sent” and . . . DISAPPEARED!  I googled the problem without any success!  Anybody have any advice?  As usual,  :thanx: in advance

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: HELP! Mail question. . .
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 10:29:39 PM »
How about a screen shot showing what "list" looks like.

Did you perhaps select "Hide Mailbox List"? I suspect you managed to hit option or control PLUS command AND some other key. Accidentally, of course, but I've occasionally managed to make messages "disappear" by hitting certain keys! :wallbash:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 06:06:41 AM »
Did you try the old, and often effective, remedy of restarting?
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 11:49:45 AM »
Jim, that's exactly what must have happened. . .BUT. . . Now, to view a message, I have to double click on the message to view it, and it opens a new window, which I have to close, or it just stays on the desktop! 😖 I've run Disk Utility, reset the Priam & SMC,

and checked and unchecked every option that Mail offers in both the General & Viewing panels, all to no avail!  I'm at my wit's end. . .

Oh yeah, and I've restarted it many times since this first started.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 05:14:35 PM »
Do you have the "Divider bar" visible? It's the thin area with a centered dot in it, just below the red line in the attached image and above the bluish "Selected message" area. Perhaps it has 'disapeared' below the bottom of the message preview area?! :dntknw: If you can find that 'bar' you can move it up to show more of any selected message.

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 08:19:35 PM »
Jim, there is NO button, there on my mail (Version 12.4 (3445.104.17), or on the individual messages.  I have  tried all the options in viewing, and nothing will give me back the old viewing style!  I guess the only thing that might work is to save all the mail boxes, and go back about 3 months and try pulling the Mail app off Time Machine, and then reload the mails from the backups. What do you think?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:34:15 PM by beacher »

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 10:14:31 PM »
My version of Mail is: Version 13.4 (3608.120.23.2.6)

Perhaps you using Big Sur macOS 11? I'm still using Catalina macOS 10.15

Attached is a screen capture of my Mail->View menu. Does yours look anything like mine?
I've also attached a miniature display of how my columns/sidebar/preview look.

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 11:59:40 PM »
Actually, Jim, being a proud “Luddite”, I'm still using Mojave!  The reason is, that if I go up any further in the progression of platforms, I'll have to move over

to the subscription model for LightRoom instead of my owned LR 6.1, and I friggin' HATE being held hostage! And once you buy into that platform, you lose access to the modifications you've made to your photos!  Far as I'm concerned, that's just flat out extortion!

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 08:35:10 AM »
No need to apologize for sticking with Mojave macOS 10.14! Since I don't work with graphics I never got trapped by Adobe. Photoshop Elements actually does more than I need! :blush-anim-cl: I do admit to installing the Apple app that they gave away before dropping support for it. Don't even remember it's name! :rofl: I even paid for copy of ON1!!

And now, back to your original question...
Please send us an image of the Mail->View menu. Getting menu screen shots is a bit challenging with only the tools that Apple provides. The tool I currently use (Snagit 15 days free) may not work in Mojave, but there are must be something that does. I'll leave that task as an exercise for the 'student'. :WOW: If all else fails, just type out the choices. :wallbash:

Apple can capture a single window (shift + command + 4), however. Seeing that image might help us understand exactly what you are seeing and maybe jog some memories about how to change it! :WOW:

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 12:31:41 PM »
OK, Jim; I'm going to try:  (I have no idea why it showed up twice, and I hope you can see it; I tried posting a bigger one, but it wouldn't "take"!)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 12:50:12 PM by beacher »

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 04:29:11 PM »
OK, I can now see what your Mail window looks like.

Not sure why there are two images with the exact same name. I didn't think the OS would allow that! But it's not a problem here, anyway.

However, those images are of the Mail Prefs. I'm looking for a screen shot (or list of items) in the Mail View Menu. My Mail app has the following menu choices: Mail, File, Edit, View, Mailbox, Message, Format, Window, Help. In Reply #6 above, I posted a screen shot of my Mail->View menu. I'm looking to see what choices you have in that specific menu.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 04:37:51 PM »
I can get the same basic view you have by UN-selecting all the items under the "Sort by" section of my Mail->View menu. Except I still have a 'divider' between the messages and what would be a view of any selected whole message. I also have to hide my Mailbox list.

Look at the extreme bottom of your Mail window. Do you see anything like the narrow line with a centered 'dot' in it? See my attached image below. If you see that line with a 'dot', click and hold and then drag upwards and you should start seeing a message.

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »
Sigh. . . Alas, no joy, Jim.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »
Not so fast!! :coolio:  :Thinking:  :nono:  :Devilish:

While the OS won't allow a user to put the top of a window above the Menu bar, it is possible to put the bottom of a window below the bottom of the screen. Counter-intuitively, to get the bottom again:
  • Grab the top edge of a window and drag it down.
  • Now grab the title bar and drag the whole window upward.
  • Hopefully, you can now see the actual bottom of the window.
  • Rinse, repeat until the bottom of the window can be seen.
OR #1

Try dragging the scroll thumb to the bottom.
OR #2

Just grab and upload a screen shot that includes the bottom of your Mail window. Enquiring minds want to no!

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 10:34:29 PM »
Um...I may be missing something here, but looks to me that the problem is in the preferences, Ed.

Select "Classic View" - should return you to what you're used to. You're in the kinda-looks-like-mobile view - which I hate!. I can make my mail look exactly like yours by unchecking that checkbox. (just tried it to be sure...yup)

I'm still using Mojave on my MBP - it has the "Classic View" mode, which they removed in Catalina, though I managed to make my Mail on the iMac running Catalina look exactly as it did before. :p

And if none of that works: http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/mitcontrib/AppleMail+preview+pane+missing (some of the more drastic solutions at the bottom)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:49:56 PM by Paddy »
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13