Author Topic: for Windows users  (Read 855 times)

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:00:13 PM by jchuzi »
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: for Windows users and M1
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 03:14:18 PM »
May I never need to run Windows. Please. If I do, I'll go next door and have my daughter help me use her shiny new windows laptop. ;)  :p

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: for Windows users
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 07:03:46 PM »
I mistakenly said that this affects M1 Macs, so I edited the title of the thread accordingly. Another day, another senior moment... :eek:

A neighbor, against my advice, bought a PC instead of Mac. When I tried it, I couldn't make head or tail of what to do. I finally figured out how to print (he didn't know either) but it involved right-clicking the document. There seemed to be no menus that the Mac has, like File, Edit, View, etc. It's a whole 'nother world.  :mad:
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 08:39:11 PM »
I mistakenly said that this affects M1 Macs, so I edited the title of the thread accordingly. Another day, another senior moment... :eek:

A neighbor, against my advice, bought a PC instead of Mac. When I tried it, I couldn't make head or tail of what to do. I finally figured out how to print (he didn't know either) but it involved right-clicking the document. There seemed to be no menus that the Mac has, like File, Edit, View, etc. It's a whole 'nother world.  :mad:

What? I use Windows frequently (not that I particularly like it or anything) and any app I've used has the usual menu...and Control P usually works. Were you trying to print an unopened doc? You can do that too... Anyway - more info is required if we're to provide any useful assistance/info for future purposes. ;)

It really isn't THAT different - other than Windows Explorer being a very poor substitute for the Finder and everything related to that. (don't get me started on how it doesn't put things in alphabetical order automatically and immediately...or how it keeps showing some arcane and (to me) utterly illogical selection of folders and drives and places it "thinks" I might want to go to in the default view...)
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 06:02:37 AM »
My experience with the neighbor's Windows installation was very superficial. He is using Windows 10 (I think) and the display showed him on AOL. I didn't see any way to switch apps but I didn't spend much time. I managed to set up his printer (after reading the Missing Manuals book about Windows) but it wasn't as intuitive as macOS (but then, I'm used to macOS). The manual's instructions on how to print did not seem to apply to what I saw.

This fellow and his wife are, to say the least, technology challenged. I had hoped to be able to walk them through the fine points, which is why I recommended that they get a Mac. Undoubtedly, if I had the time, I would have the same reaction as you. I am not motivated to become a Windows user!
Jon

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 09:49:55 AM »
Intuition based on a programmers experience does not work well for "the rest of us". Both OSs started before graphical interfaces even existed. When I had an Apple ][, I wrote a teachers grade-book app for my wife, even sold several copies to the local school system. The "Menu" was a series of key words on the two lower lines of the screen. Basically the first letter of the word and the option key(?) selected that menu item. The first graphical iteration of Windows added an underline to those menu items as an indication of word keys to press! I think they stopped using that underline thing with Windows 10!

Apple was much better at making things intuitive and published 400 page guides for developers, even back in OS 5!! Those GUI guidelines are now on the web instead of paper.

There is still no "Command" key on Windows and there never will be as far as Apple is concerned (I'm sure Apple has copyrighted that method). Of course, Windows often uses the Control key for almost the same purpose. They have also understood more about what is "intuitive" and have equally ponderous guidelines for developers. Unfortunately, third-party developers are usually more programmer than user, so we still see "new" and "better" way of doing the same thing. And re-creating Microsoft apps to comply with the new standards is not a "profit center". Habits are hard to change. :wallbash: :dntknw:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 09:52:21 AM »
Thought of you, Jon, when I saw this thread in a PS Elements forum: :laughhard:On the other hand, the tips may come in handy with your neighbor... assuming you haven't moved further away from them! :blush-anim-cl: :yes: :Devilish: :dntknw:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes: