Author Topic: Safari can't open the page  (Read 1034 times)

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Safari can't open the page
« on: July 20, 2021, 01:33:33 PM »
This error and inability to open a page -- any page -- is becoming a constant issue with Safari. (see attachment) I know, I know, I'm running a really old OS, but it's what I have at the moment. If I flip over to Chrome, everything works. Same with Firefox. Both of those browsers are updated to the latest. But Safari constantly drops.

Sometimes if I quit and restart that fixes the problem, sometimes not. Sometimes turning wi-fi on and off fixes the problem. Sometimes a total reboot of my iMac makes Safari happy. But these things don't make ME happy. I simply don't have it in my budget right now to upgrade my iMac. Does anyone have any suggestions, or shall I go back to using Chrome?  :dntknw:

Safari: Version 13.1.2 (13609.3.5.1.5)
OS: 10.13.6x (High Sierra) updated as far as the iMac will go

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: Safari can't open the page
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 01:53:07 PM »
"Clearly" a network problem. However, you might try emptying Safari/Develop/Empty Caches and also Safari/History/Clearing History. To get the "Develop" menu, use Safari Prefs/Advanced: Show Develop menu in menu bar checkbox (extreme lower item in "Advanced" tab).

You might try downgrading Safari to a previous version if you can estimate when this behavior started.

Lots of hits with a search for "kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 303" all mostly saying the same thing.
Apple Support Forums
AskDifferent
MacReports
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 06:35:33 PM »
"Clearly" a network problem. However, you might try emptying Safari/Develop/Empty Caches and also Safari/History/Clearing History. To get the "Develop" menu, use Safari Prefs/Advanced: Show Develop menu in menu bar checkbox (extreme lower item in "Advanced" tab).

You might try downgrading Safari to a previous version if you can estimate when this behavior started.

Lots of hits with a search for "kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 303" all mostly saying the same thing.
Apple Support Forums
AskDifferent
MacReports
Did all that and it worked for 3 pages at one site, then back to the error. I turned off all extensions, including 1Password, and rebooted iMac. Same results after a few sites loaded. Safe booting into iMac was the same.

I copied one of the links, opened Chrome, and pasted the link and everything works. It's frustrating, but I have enough on my plate without this, so I'm just going back to using Chrome for my default browser. Thanks for helping me, xABD.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 07:35:02 PM »
If you think it’s only after the last update it might help to downgrade via TM. It just may not let you do that, seeing the new one already installed. :wallbash:

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 08:02:08 AM »
If you think it’s only after the last update it might help to downgrade via TM. It just may not let you do that, seeing the new one already installed. :wallbash:
Don't lecture me here, but I'm not running TM or CCC right now. I've yet to unpack all my back-up drives, for some reason they weren't packed into the computer room boxes. :dntknw: (Since my cast-iron skillet was packed into a box marked "store in garage," who knows where I'll find them. HAHA) However, I keep docs and photos backed up manually on an external that I purchased. That's as far as I've gotten with the whole backup thing. :p

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 08:37:13 AM »
No lectures here! You are already facing the problems you created! :laughhard: Besides, who am I to talk about who is “blacker”. :whistling:
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/the+pot+calling+the+kettle+black

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 11:40:18 AM »
No lectures here! You are already facing the problems you created! :laughhard:
True.  :oops:

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 12:24:44 PM »
I have had the same problem. I've been using OS10.13.6 for years (there are reasons!) on a 2012 iMac and Safari started to NOT open certain websites. Including one of my banks. So I started using Firefox.
When Safari wouldn't open a website, I'd copy the URL heading and paste it into Firefox, and that works.
I wasn't sure if Safari could be updated on 10.13.6, so I left that alone. I have a new iMac now, and Safari seems to be working there.
I will try the suggestions here on my old iMac.
27" iMac, 2017, 3.47 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1.03 TB HD,
OSX10.14.3 • 15" MacBookPro mid 2012, OSX10.14.3 • Mac Mini OSX10.13.6 • iPhone 11