Author Topic: Burned CDs show wrong (old) title  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Burned CDs show wrong (old) title
« on: November 24, 2009, 03:11:51 AM »
iTunes 8.2.1, Toast Titanium 8.0.5, OS10.4.11
A folder from iTunes is burned to disc (via iTunes) and the completed disc appears on desktop with name of a disc I burned in Toast over a year ago...  wacko.gif

It's a problem I've had in Toast as well (coming up with the same 'wrong' title on every CD burned). A Google search found many people with the same problem but none who had found the answer. So.... anybody here cleverer than that lot? Thing is, that title appears absolutely nowhere else in Toast prefs or menus, and only in the iTunes library. I suspect a corrupted pref but don't know which one to bin!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:12:30 AM by Highmac »
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:03:25 AM »
hing is, that title appears absolutely nowhere else in Toast prefs or menus, and only in the iTunes library.
Well, my question is, how did the 'title' get into iTunes? When I burn disks in iTunes (and that's all I use) I have to create and name a new 'library/folder' to put the files in. Well, I do unless I simply delete files in a previous 'library' and put new files in there. I've mistakenly done that and it's not what I really want, but it is easy to do.

My point is, whatever the name of the 'library' in iTunes, will be the title of the disk. I'm not sure what Toast has to do with any of this unless you had originally burned a disk in Toast and then dumped/duped it into iTunes and created a 'library' for it, thus creating a 'library' name there? This is just my guess as a minor user of iTunes and not a user of Toast since OS 8.something.

Could you please list the steps you take, in minute detail, including the type of chair you sit in, while performing this task? wink.gif

Oh, have you repaired permissions? tongue.gif
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 09:05:46 AM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Nov 24 2009, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hing is, that title appears absolutely nowhere else in Toast prefs or menus, and only in the iTunes library.
Well, my question is, how did the 'title' get into iTunes? When I burn disks in iTunes (and that's all I use) I have to create and name a new 'library/folder' to put the files in. Well, I do unless I simply delete files in a previous 'library' and put new files in there. I've mistakenly done that and it's not what I really want, but it is easy to do.

My point is, whatever the name of the 'library' in iTunes, will be the title of the disk. I'm not sure what Toast has to do with any of this unless you had originally burned a disk in Toast and then dumped/duped it into iTunes and created a 'library' for it, thus creating a 'library' name there? This is just my guess as a minor user of iTunes and not a user of Toast since OS 8.something.

Could you please list the steps you take, in minute detail, including the type of chair you sit in, while performing this task? wink.gif

Oh, have you repaired permissions? tongue.gif

1) In reverse order.... Many times!
2) Not right now as I'm about to take steps to the table for my curry and rice..... biggrin.gif

Will be back later, probably tomorrow morning - that's the middle of the night your time wink.gif

Neil
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 12:33:23 PM »
I was just pulling your chain about the Repair Permissions, I seriously doubt it would have any effect on this problem.

But I'm wondering how the songs were first added to any library in iTunes. I think there is a place where it stores/reads the title of the CD. Simply putting these into a folder/library may automatically include that name as the new disk/library/folder name. Or iTunes may very well see that "CD Name" and use it.

The above, of course, means that the CD was originally named something and burned in Toast. Is that the case in all the CDs with 'incorrect' names?

Oh yeah, be sure to keep your tongue inside your mouth when burning a CD with iTunes... tease.gif And be especially careful not to bite it! (Your tongue, that is...)

BTW, you know you can write the CD name on the non-recorded side with a felt marker pen...or, better yet, on there and the paper CD sleeve...I used to use a Sharpie, but they took all sharp objects away from me last year. blush-anim-cl.gif

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 12:39:35 AM »
When a CD is burned it does not have the title 'burned' with it. iTunes attempts to name the CD from data it has stored in the CDDB files in your user preferences. These files can become corrupted so that's the place to start.

Eject the CD.
Dump the following:

~/Library/Preferences/CDDB Preferences

Log out and back in, then insert CD.

If that doesn't give it a new name (probably Audio CD) then eject the CD, dump or temporarily move this file:

~/Library/Preferences/CD Info.cidb

Log out/in, insert CD.

Here's more info as to how the titles are chosen.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3814

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 01:30:05 AM »
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Nov 24 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, you know you can write the CD name on the non-recorded side with a felt marker pen...or, better yet, on there and the paper CD sleeve...I used to use a Sharpie, but they took all sharp objects away from me last year. blush-anim-cl.gif

Don't worry, the CD is properly labelled with the correct name, but when it's put into the drive it appears on the desktop with the old name. So when you're expecting Suzi Quatro and the name on the desktop is David Gilmour, it can lead to confusion....

Well, did a fresh search on the Roxio site and found this; obviously used the wrong words in my previous searches  rolleyes.gif
Issue - Toast audio CDs have a previous name when mounted on the desktop
Resolution - The CD database is corrupt. Remove the CD database: NOTE: Removing the CD database will cause you to lose all artist, album, and track information regarding CDs that are on your Mac (iTunes information about CD names is also lost).

Oh, what joy lies ahead....  wallbash.gif

...and, Jim, you haven't been running with scissors again, have you? biggrin.gif

Edit to add: Good morning Kris - you posted while I was writing this....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:31:16 AM by Highmac »
Neil

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 02:01:51 AM »
Thanks for that link, Kris - since it only affects how the disc appears on MY desktop I think I can live with it. I don't fancy having to rescan the many, many CDs I've put into iTunes. eek2.gif
Neil

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 09:22:20 AM »
I guess I didn't understand your question/problem. From my limited use of iTunes, I though one needed to create a separate folder/library for the songs to be burned onto a new disk. In doing that, I thought one needed to name that new library (or accept the "untitled playlist" name that is normally created) and then drag the songs, form where ever, into that library/folder. Whatever name that was created there will be the name that is attached/burned/recorded on the disk, probably in the normal sector for such data. That will be the name of the disk that is seen on the desktop/Finder even in iTunes, I thought.

Perhaps my biggest mistake, again from my limited use of iTunes, is calling the thing (the collection of songs to be burned) a "library" of even "folder"! Obviously, it is called a "Playlist!" wallbash.gif At any rate, that thing  has a name and it is created by the user or he uses "untitled playlist" for some unknown reason. And that, gentlemen, is how I assumed the displayed name came to be. Intentionally or not.

Obviously, I still have no idea how an unwanted CD name became attached to the newly burned disk made in iTunes. I simply have so much to learn! And I'm slowly running out of time! eek2.gif rofl.gif