Author Topic: I give up!  (Read 1098 times)

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://sonofabeach-beacher.blogspot.com/
I give up!
« on: March 28, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
I've been stressing over this ever since reading about the new APFS, and I have yet to find a simple answer, so I'm finally breaking down and turning to you guys, again!  Practically speaking, will I notice any difference in the way that Time Machine will work, and should I need to go back and rescue something from Time Machine, am I going to encounter any problems?  Or, is everything going to continue to work just like it always has?  As usual,  thanx.gif in advance!

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
I give up!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 02:43:30 PM »
TM will not use APFS and so it will not be affected. Everything will work as usual.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
I give up!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »
All I know is that the Time Machine drive should be formatted the same way as before: HFS+ (Journaled).

I'm assuming you are planning on using a current TM drive. When you start using HS, you should not need to do anything to the current TM drive. As a matter of fact, if you re-format a TM drive, you will first destroy the current backups. Secondly, when you try to get TM to use that APFS drive, it will tell you it can't and ask you to re-format it back to AFS+.

Bottom line; don't do anything to the TM drive. Well, it might be good to check the date of manufacture and change your bets on how much longer it will last... rolleyes.gif
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://sonofabeach-beacher.blogspot.com/
I give up!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »
Oh man, thank you, so much,!  Why the heck couldn’t all those articles I read and puzzled over just have said that?  🤬

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
I give up!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:07:49 PM »
They get paid by the word... laughhard.gif

Be aware that I am speaking/repeating what I’ve read. I have absolutely no first-hand experience! I may not have a choice in the matter as I’m probably buying a new iMac in a few weeks. Contributions accepted!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:08:34 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
I give up!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 06:37:36 AM »
I do have experience with this. When I upgraded to High Sierra, my TM drive remained untouched and intact. High Sierra will use APFS but not on fusion drives, which is why my internal drive is still formatted HFS+, as it was in Sierra. I have had no problems whatsoever with High Sierra.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365