Author Topic: Time to move my iTunes songs to new Mac, the best way?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline jcarter

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jcarter.net/ourdogs/muffinpage.html
Time to move my iTunes songs to new Mac, the best way?
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:02:26 AM »
OK, its time to do this, and here are Tacit's instructions,,,,,,,,

"Yes, you can do this. At the end of the day, iTunes works with any music files. The library is nothing but a bunch of folders filled with music files. That's it.

The easiest way to get a whole bunch of music files into iTunes, without worrying about versions or anything like that, is simply to run iTunes, then go to the Finder, click on all the folders full of music, drag the folders into the iTunes window, and let iTunes copy them all into the new library.

You do have to worry about authorizing and deauthorizing, but that has nothing to do with moving the library. A computer is authorized to play music you buy from iTunes. If you have a computer that breaks or that you get rid of, you must be careful to deauthorize it before you get rid of it, because you are only allowed to authorize a certain number of computers. If you have a computer and you throw it away or sell it, then it is still taking up one of the "slots" you are allowed to have.

So if you are going to stop using your old computer, deauthorize it.
"  Which I did.

I also saw Senuti and Supersync reviews in the new Mac|Life mag,
Senuti is www.fadingred.com
 and Supersync is www.supersync.com

The question is, do I just follow Tacit's instructions without needing these programs, or would using one or both of them make it a lot easier for me?
Thank you,
Jane

Oh, yes, I need some new speakers, the old ones buzz horribly.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »
Did the info in the iTunes Help pages not work for you? dntknw.gif

"Help->Moving your iTunes library to another computer"...
For more information, open Mac Help (in the Finder, choose Help > Mac Help) and search for “transferring files between computers.”

Plus four 'Related Topics' and three "Open" iTunes items.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jcarter

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jcarter.net/ourdogs/muffinpage.html
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:41:38 PM »
Oh, didnt look at that yet, will do tomorrow morning.  Not much in the old version, but lots in the new version.  Yes, a lot of new info that I just never thought to go for.
Thanks,
Jane