Author Topic: Directions to a 'break-down' site.  (Read 1425 times)

Offline RNKIII

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
Directions to a 'break-down' site.
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »
I have looked in a lot of places for a 'break-down' site for my wife's G4 Macbook. 1.33 GHz PPC.

What I want to know is if there is a fan built into this machine or if it is just cooled by 'flow-thru' means...

Have iStat-Pro running on it and that shows that there is a 'main rear' fan but always shows 0 rpm.... Don't know if that is because of a bad fan or because there isn't one.

Links showing the 'guts' of the machine would be greatly appreciated.

Bob K.   rnkiii

edited to add...

Found a 'how-to' at iFixit.... doesn't look like it is something I want to tackle.... particularly as this is my wife''s "baby" and should I schmuck it up there would be more than a repair bill to pay whistling.gif .......  Better to let someone else do it and be able to commiserate should something go wrong with the repair.   toothgrin.gif

Oh, yes, there is a fan!!  wallbash.gif

BK
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:27:33 PM by RNKIII »
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to
use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
Directions to a 'break-down' site.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:36:48 PM »
Yup - iFixit.com is wonderful for Mac laptop (and iMac & Mini) take-aparts.

And I tend to agree - anything that requires a spudger always has me a tad anxious, along with the the admonition to "breathe deeply, trying times are ahead"!!! I've taken apart laptops before, but the old Powerbooks were pretty tough, and somewhat easier to disassemble, methinks. Lots of things were accessible simply by removing the keyboard.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13