Author Topic: Major Memory Problem  (Read 4511 times)

Offline amk285nyu

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
Major Memory Problem
« on: February 01, 2004, 05:12:59 PM »
I'm having a bizarre memory problem.

When I click for info on my laptop hard drive, it says that I have 9.36 GB capacity, and that 8.53 GB of that is used, so that only 850 MB are available. But this didn't make any sense to me, because I have a 150 GB external hard drive, and I moved all my large files to that. Basically, all that is left on my laptop hard drive is my applications, my schoolwork, and whatever accrues due to my usage of the computer (cache for my browsers, etc.).

I thought, where in the heck are all the large files using this memory? So first thing I did is restart my computer. Then I went and checked info on the only four folders in my hard drive: 1) Applications, 2) Library, 3) System, 4) Users.
The bizarre thing is that the total memory used in those folders adds to only 4.48 GB.

So then I used the Finder's Find function, and searched for all documents in my hard drive over 20 MB in size. It only returned three: two that were in a Mozilla folder (in my user library), and I deleted those, and one 500 MB Quake III file.

What's going on? I do have a hypothesis:
I was downloading movies off my filesharing program (Poison) the other night, and although none of them were completed, I saw a bunch of them had downloaded between 90-200 MB. I've had my preferences set to store completed files and incomplete files (while they're downloading) in my external hard drive. I've had some problems with Poison before not properly downloading to these folders, but onto my laptop, and because none of these files showed up in my incomplete folder on the external hard drive, I'm assuming that's what happened; however, before I was able to locate these files and move them to where they belonged on my external hard drive. So if they are on my laptop hard drive somewhere and eating up all my memory, why wouldn't the calculation of memory used in the four folders show it? Why wouldn't the find function locate these files?

Is this a virus? I've never been so confused by something seemingly so simple. Where's my other 5 GB?

Offline Thomas S. England

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://englandphoto.com/portfolio/
Major Memory Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 05:34:46 PM »
Can't answer you directly, but this little app may help:

http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2003/02...206122318.shtml

Here's an article on it:

http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2003/02...206122318.shtml

Not to be insulting, but you do empty your trash, right?
Thomas S. England
Decatur GA 30030

Images from Tuscany 2008

Photo Portfolio

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
Major Memory Problem
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 05:43:26 PM »
VERY neat. Thomas.

Thanks.

Offline amk285nyu

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
Major Memory Problem
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 10:19:38 PM »
Thomas, thanks, you're program worked like a charm.

I still need your help. Apparently, all these folders were invisible, and they're stored in a fifth folder on my laptop hard drive called "Volumes". This caught me off guard because I didn't know Macs hid files. Unlike with PC's, I don't know how to make this folder- and all the files in it- visible so that I may access and move them. I could do this through the "Find" option, but that's messy and will take longer, and besides, it's best I learned how to hidden files works on my computer in case this happens in the future (and just for general purposes).

Thanks again.

Offline amk285nyu

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
Major Memory Problem
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 10:42:28 PM »
Alright. I used the Find function to "see" and open the Volumes folder, and I was able to move all the files from there with ease. But now I want to delete that folder so Poison won't try to keep downloading files to it. How do I do this? And why was this folder created? I didn't create it.

I tried to delete it, but it told me it couldn't because it was protected by the Root. How do I delete it? Do I go through my library or something?

Thanks. Your help is much appreciated.

Offline FLASH1296

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
Major Memory Problem
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 09:01:26 PM »
NOT a Memory problem.  A Hard Drive problem.

Use  the Finder 's  "FIND" function   set to see BOTH visible and invisible files.  Now, scan for large files.

Voila!

Offline jepinto

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Major Memory Problem
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 09:22:17 PM »
YOu may try resetting your default download folder.

Do you have Fetch? Open Fetch go Customize>Prefereces>Downloads. Set your preferred download location there. Now go to the General tab>Click "Use Internet Config".

In 9 I'd look for "Internet Config" and set the preference there, just to make sure. In Jag, it's System Preferences>Internet>Web and in Panther.....I don't know.

Poison may be a bit different, it might have created it's own download folder, so I'd check prefs for the application also.
Do not fear your enemies.  The worse they can do is kill you.  Do not fear friends.  At worst, they may betray you.
Fear those who do not care; they neither kill nor betray, but betrayal and murder exist because of their silent consent.
~Bruno Jasienski~

Offline giantmike

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.giantmike.com
Major Memory Problem
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 10:39:06 PM »
I hope I am not too late, but please do not do ANYTHING with the Volumes folder. It is a folder created by MacOS X and is required for proper operation. Messing with it could lead to major problems.

As for Poisoned, you can set the download folders in the preferences for that program. I have never needed to change them from default, so I cannot tell you if I have had the same problem.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Major Memory Problem
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 03:52:55 PM »
There are literally thousands of invisible files and folders in X. Usually the main reason is to make it at least difficult for the average user to darg one to the trash. And even if you did, they are usually locked and/or need Root authority.

Fortunately it is easy to look for them with the Finders "Find" function. BTW, isn't it nice to actually have the Finder capable of finding stuff?! harhar.gif

ABD
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes: