Author Topic: Catalina now available  (Read 3503 times)

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Catalina now available
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 02:00:38 PM »
I found a really simple way of transferring emails from Entourage 2008 to Outlook 365. Simply drag an email to the desktop. It appears as a .eml file. Then, open it in Outlook (which happens to be the default application. After I persuade my better half to cull her unwanted emails and I can transfer them to her account in Outlook, I'll consider upgrading to Catalina.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline chriskleeman

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chriskleeman.com
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 10:00:13 AM »
I'm so far behind in my OS  :whistling: still using Sierra... but in order to run TurboTax this year, I will have to upgrade to at least High Sierra, but am thinking I'll upgrade to Mojave. From the comments here I think I'll wait on Catalina.

Thanks!

Chris  :notworthy:
Just a dumb guitar player...
My Website

Offline chriskleeman

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 10:48:37 AM »
Well a moot point. This iMac is too old to run either Mojave or Catalina.  :Thinking:
My Website

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 11:24:32 AM »
You should be able to still get HS from the App Store. There is a link on this page that should work. See step 4, I'm on my old iPad right now and Apple won't let me try a download of HS on it! :laughhard:

Good luck and make sure you have good, bootable backups before the upgrade! :Thinking: :yes:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline chriskleeman

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 11:44:07 AM »
Already downloading HS as I write this, backed up and ready to install when the download finishes, yessiree bob, I mean, XABD...  :)
My Website

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 05:36:08 PM »
Just don't call me "Shirley"! :p :laughhard:   

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 09:03:13 AM »
I upgraded to Catalina 10.15.2 today. System Preferences has a different appearance as does Mail. Mostly, it was smooth. The process took quite a bit of time because I updated my three clones before installing Catalina. That took about 25 minutes and the installation, including downloading, took about 40 minutes.

I went through my Applications folder and deleted all apps that had an X through them, meaning that they were incompatible (I knew about most of them before because they were 32-bit). I then updated OnyX, Cocktail, Tinker Tool System, Adobe Flash Player (no snide remarks, please!) and Ejector.

So far, so good.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »
So far, so good.
Historical words so often heard. :cheer2: :pc: :fool:

I nominate jon as the TS Catalina macOS 10.15 expert! :thumbup:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »
If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.  :nono:
Jon

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »
Finally updated my Wife's MBP yesterday. the mini is in the process as I type. The hard part was finding the download. I finally found a link at Mr. Macintosh: (along with links to older versions of the macOS) https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314
That actually opens the Mac App Store (US version) where the OS still exists. I suspect these links will all eventually expire/disappear as Apple keeps the annual "progress" attitude. :wallbash:

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2021, 01:52:03 PM »
My iMac and my wife's MBP upgrades to Catalina went smoothly. The mini greeted me with a "update failed" message. Then I noticed that the Software Update Pref claimed that 'updates were being maintained off-site'. Never found a workable solution to that and decided to press ahead with getting the OS upgrade completed first.

Tried running the upgrade again and was greeted by the installer showing all drives with the triangular ⚠︎ warning. :wacko: I decided the boot drive, at least parts of the OS, might be corrupted, even though it seemed to boot and apps ran fine. Downloaded another copy of the Catalina installer and it succeeded. Followed that with the Security Update and things are back to normal.

In fact, it's possible I may have accidentally run the Catalina Security updater before the actual OS upgrade! I wouldn't think that would be possible. OTOH, if the Big Sur macOS 11  installer didn't check that enough space would be available, the Catalina macOS 10.15 Security Updater might not have even checked what the OS is! :wallbash: