Author Topic: Random House ebooks now on iBookstore  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Random House ebooks now on iBookstore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
Yes, and as a result the price of ALL ebooks went up overnight.  dry.gif   mad.gif  angry.gif  envy.gif

Offline daryl66

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:02:45 PM »
QUOTE(kimmer @ Mar 3 2011, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, and as a result the price of ALL ebooks went up overnight.  dry.gif   mad.gif  angry.gif  envy.gif

I guess age, among other things, (read frugality) is starting to take on a life of its own.  We have a great library system here (except no ebooks) and can "check out"  most any publication you can imagine, and  rarely purchase books. Her professional requirements are the exception.   We both spend a lot of time with our nose in books.  Since we got the iPad at Xmas time, have found it most difficult to "pay" for the connivence of ebooks, so for the most part we don't.  rant.gif  There have been a few exceptions.  Thats my story and I am sticking to it

Different strokes for different folks  drink.gif .
2019 27" iMac OSX 14.4 2011 MBP OSX 10.13.6, 2017 MBAir OSX 12.7.4, iPad IOS 17.4.1, iPhone13 IOS 17.4.1, iPhone SE IOS 17.4.1, Watch 9, M2 MBA OSX 14.4

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »
I'll admit that I said I'd never own an ebook reader (or words close to that effect), but age has played a big part for me as well. I now have an ArthurThumb and find it painful to hold books open while sitting in a nice chair with a cup of java. Plus the weight of the books was bothering my one hand. I tried sitting at the table to read and that wasn't totally comfortable. So Sneakers gave me a gift of an ereader. I went with the Kindle and I like it so very much. I can hold it in my one hand without the ArthurThumb and it's comfortable and enjoyable.

I do use the library for books that only come in hardbound format, but for the reasons stated above, I use them less.

PS: Libraries are pulling out of ebook loans due to new restrictions from publishers on the # of times ebooks can be loaned before libraries have to pay another fee. Libraries have restricted budgets and can't do the fee every 26 times of rental, so many of them are dropping ebooks altogether. This is the book version of the music issue from a few years ago. wink.gif
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:36:40 PM by kimmer »

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 07:15:08 PM »
OK, I just deleted my comments about libraries, congress and the budget. It was obviously political, even though factual. I'll simply PM anyone who wants to know my opinion. And I'll not be holding my breath for a request. laughhard.gif
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes: