Author Topic: Third party RAM  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Himrich

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
Third party RAM
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 02:51:40 PM »
Thank you all for your friendly advice. I finally decided to go to my local Mac store in Portland (sales tax free) and with my MUG discount got 2-512mb Viking chips for $280. I was leary of dealing with mail order again after being so frustrated for the first 3 weeks of ownership and not one day without a kernel panic. I decided the little extra money I spent was worth being able to pop it in right in the store and see if it did the trick. I'm in my 4th day of useage and feel I can comfortably say I'm in the clear. It is purring along on all cylinders.

I don't have any kernel panics, nor do I experience the wake-up problem that led me down this long path to begin with.

I would like to know one thing though regarding the wake up of a Powerbook. When the cover is closed for the night and reawaken in the morning, the desktop picture pops into view, followed by a flicker, then blue screen and quickly followed by the desktop picture reappearing again. It all happens very fast (maybe 2-3 secs) and is not something I am overly concerned with, but was just wondering if others see the same behaviour.

Rick
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 03:56:10 PM by Himrich »
Rick

A Mac User and Lover since 1985.