Author Topic: Security Update  (Read 646 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Security Update
« on: November 01, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »
If you have not yet updated to Catalina macOS 10.15, you may be ignoring the "Update" notification on System Prefs-Software Update. However, Apple prints some small, colored text in that dialog: "More info..." Click on that and you should see any other software that you may want to install, even if you don't want the new OS.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 01:08:28 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Security Update
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 12:53:52 PM »
I found that out accidentally. Unfortunately, Software Update still says that there is 1 update available but that only means Catalina. It seems that the only way to see that another update is in the pipeline is to click that More link. Why doesn't SU tell you, "But wait, there's more!"  :mad:
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 04:06:10 PM »
Actually, mine listed both the security and the Safari update on the main dialog. I clicked the "More" link anyway and was somewhat worried that it still did not show Catalina! Of course, when you select the Security Update you get a warning that "Some updates need to finish..."! That caused me to wonder if Mojave macOS 10.14 had secretly downloaded Catalina. :Thinking:  :dntknw: :doh:

The first attempt failed to download something. Selected only the Security Update and that worked fine and the Restart was normal. Then I did the Safari update. Software Update now shows "Catalina" is still available. And the About box still shows Mojave macOS 10.14. :thumbup:

Funny how it feels like Apple is still playing games with what is shown in the Software Update dialog. OTOH, why, when one opens the App Store, and there is an update available, does the app not open the "Updates" tab?!!  :dntknw: :blink: :unsure: :wallbash:

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:57:41 AM »
Although I installed the Mojave macOS 10.14 Security update last week with no problems, there are reports that it could cause major problems IF the update is interrupted.Don't be too quick to interrupt any installation process, especially one involving the OS. If you have a laptop, make sure it is on its charger. If you are rushed for time, wait until you have more time. Here's a TidBITS article about the process that may be the problem's cause and the usual recommended procedure you should observe:
...First, make sure you have good backups before starting, in case the worst happens. That’s always a good plan anyway. Second, do not interrupt the installation process! It may take longer than you expect, but let it run as long as it needs...