Author Topic: MacUpdate Desktop  (Read 1813 times)

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
MacUpdate Desktop
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »
http://www.macupdate.com/desktop/

Does anyone use this little app? Anyone use MacUpdate on a regular basis?

I'm asking because apparently it was part of some bundle I purchased last year and I just received an email about "Oops, we messed up and didn't auto renew, and so now it'll auto renew unless you opt out ... blah, blah, blah". My guess is that the CC used with the transaction has been changed, so they'll have a hard time auto-charging me.  whistling.gif

Anyhow, the app is $20 and I'm wondering if it's worth the bucks. Also the paid membership vs. free membership?

All opinions welcome -- except those pesky printed maps ones. ROFLOL

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
MacUpdate Desktop
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »
I don't use MacUpdate but I have found that App Update works well and the price (free, donations accepted) is definitely right. It's not perfect but it does the job for me.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
MacUpdate Desktop
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 02:36:10 PM »
Never saw a need to pay for an app that does the same thing as most info sites (usually weekly reports of what's been updated for way more apps than I have) email notices from developers and the apps themselves already do (automatic update checks). dntknw.gif Like paying for a "service" that tells you your mail is in the box... rolleyes.gif laughhard.gif
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 02:36:28 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
MacUpdate Desktop
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 03:34:44 PM »
I always checked Version Tracker and MacUpdate manually but I found that App Update has some uses. The first time that I tried it, I found an updated app that I had, somehow, missed. Besides, it meets your criteria for a fair price.  Devilish2.gif
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365