Author Topic: Interesting article: Lithium-Ion Batteries  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Interesting article: Lithium-Ion Batteries
« on: April 13, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »
Are they Goodenough?! :D :coolio:
Where They Came from
And Where They’re Headed

IQS Directory
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jcarter

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jcarter.net/ourdogs/muffinpage.html
Re: Interesting article: Lithium-Ion Batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 07:26:48 AM »
Thank you for this article, my husband is reading it right now.
My neighbor just bought a Tesla, what a cool car!
The future of these new batteries sure is great.

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 04:11:42 PM »
We took delivery of our Tesla 3 in June, 2018. We love it.

The next generation of rechargeable batteries should be a tremendous boost to the development and adoption of electric vehicles. It will be interesting to see how fast the revolution goes. The sooner, the better, as far as I'm concerned.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline jcarter

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 05:40:12 PM »
One of our grandsons is begging me for one, as he got to drive one, when the owner of it had a software glitch and he figured it out. So the fellow let him drive it all around the high school, and now he wants one. Grandma said not at your age, and take a look at how expensive it is. And the insurance and more,,,,,,,,,,

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »
Considering the financial difficulties that have been reported about Tesla, let's hope that the company stays in business long enough to supply parts.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline jcarter

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 06:56:21 PM »
The guy who owns the one my grandson drove, had a 'software glitch' so he put something on my grandson's iPhone, and somehow, dont ask me how, but they fixed it!
It was stuck in the parking lot, wouldnt unlock, no start, just plain nothing,,,,,,,
I should ask my grandson, what they/he did.

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 04:52:27 AM »
Have to admit most of that might as well have been in Greek since it was way, way over my head.  :blueeek:

However, the revelation that the inventor, now 94, is working on a new type of battery to replace his 1980 invention, means there's still hope for us oldies...  :)   

Re the Tesla, I read recently they are to bring out a less expensive model featuring vegan-friendly leather-look (aka plastic?) upholstery. Not sure why they think any vegan would WANT leather-look upholstery.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:58:24 AM by Highmac »
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 09:42:38 AM »
I'm waiting until they come up with more imaginative names. So far they've only used S, X, Y and 3 (not counting "Roadster"). I'm sure they aren't going to be limited to just those SeXY names... :scram:
If I bought any of them, it would be the Roadster; more letters for the money? Although that's still about 25 grand per letter. :Thinking:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »
And you needn't worry about battery storage if you have very loooong extension cord.  :toothgrin:
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline jcarter

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 11:58:46 AM »
Driving home from shopping this morning, we seemed to be surrounded with Priusses, Priusi, Prii, or Prius Plurals.
And my husband said, "If you show me your Prius, I will show you mine."

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
And you needn't worry about battery storage if you have very loooong extension cord.  :toothgrin:
Our last house had a garden, nearly all grass, 220 feet long and 45 feet wide. We had brought with us a little mains electric rotary mower, and with 200ft of extension there was a noticeable power drop. So we changed to a petrol one. Now we have sold the petrol mower and have one powered by - what else! - lithium-ion batteries...   :happy:
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 12:21:58 PM »
Quote from: Highmac link=topic=28425.msg214494#msg214494

Our last house had a garden, nearly all grass, 220 feet long and 45 feet wide. We had brought with us a little mains electric rotary mower, and with 200ft of extension there was a noticeable power drop. So we changed to a petrol one. Now we have sold the petrol mower and have one powered by - what else! - lithium-ion batteries...   :happy:

Our ICE lawn mower is on its last legs...er...wheels, and I've been looking at the alternatives. One of our neighbours has a robotic mower - it cost him $5K though. He loves it, but his yard is not quite as complicated as ours and even though there are now cheaper options out there, I think we'll stick with mowing it ourselves - but I'm hoping we'll find a nice, quiet, non-polluting battery operated one that will do the job. I've found one very well-reviewed one at Lowe's that comes with three batteries - because of the size of our yard, we'd need spares in order to get the job done in one go. A plug-in model is not workable here - too much lawn with too many large obstructions (trees/hedges/shrubbery).
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline jcarter

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 12:30:11 PM »
Same with us, we have tons of little 'islands' of Azaleas and other flowering shrubs, and many more of Day-lilies and other flowers. I dont even let my grandson or my husband mow ours as kids attention can wander and hit the flowers, husband's too. I have to mow ours in 2 days, as its big.
Tho, I have two battery vacuums and they are wonderful!