Author Topic: 1Password 7 Question  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
1Password 7 Question
« on: February 03, 2020, 12:14:43 AM »
I'm day two into using my new MacBook Pro, updated to macOS 10.15.3

I was using 1Password 6 on my old computer but decided to update to version 7 from the App Store when I got this computer and now I'm having some difficulty with filling the blanks when logging into a web page.

The instructions show a picture with a Go button. I don't see that when I use the Extension. Also, I checked the option to us Touch ID. That doesn't work either so I'm resorting in Copy and Pasting to fill the blanks.

What could be wrong?
-Bruce-

Offline sluggo

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: 1Password 7 Question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 06:57:57 AM »
I had the same thing happen, but when I started trying out Brave for a browser. I'm sure I installed the 1Password 7 extension in the browser but the auto fill button didn't seem to work in Brave.
Lo and behold I check out TS this morning. I had to sign in fresh because I hadn't visited here with this new browser. Guess what? The auto fill button signed me in. I assume the Go button appears if you wish to use 1Password to take you to the site, as opposed to navigating there first and then trying the sign in? I wish I better understood how this thing works so that I could offer a solution.

Todd
________________________________________________________________________________

"Time loves to be wasted. From that waste there is no salvage." - Henry Ford

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 09:28:50 AM »
You are correct. 1PW seems to be smart enough to ‘see’ when a password is required. If not, then it assumes god just like to use the url saved when you created the password.

There are major differences between v 6 and 7. I think a re-reading of the instructions is highly recommended. It’s been too long since I used v 6, so I’ve already forgot all that I may have known. :blush-anim-cl: But they do have a good FAQ, support staff and user forum! :thumbup:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 12:55:30 PM »
I believe I have found why 1Password wasn't working.

Version 6 worked just fine as a non paid user. Version 7 doesn't. I finally relented and went online and subscribed. Now all the features described in the help articles are working.
-Bruce-

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:55:27 PM »
You can still get Version 7 without a subscription - I did it. (Don't like subscription software and avoid when I can)

https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 06:09:01 PM »
True, you don't have to have a "subscription", but I do encourage software users to pay for stuff they find useful (assuming it is not 'freeware'). I think that's even something TS supports, at least before we lost the "Guidelines" page. :Thinking:

Offline sluggo

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 08:07:52 AM »
I've always used the paid version. I still have some getting used to or more studying for version 7. I find that sometimes it will auto fill the fields on a website for me, sometimes it won't. I also find that when I'm on a particular page and hit the 1P7 icon up in the tool bar, it doesn't automatically take me to the information to sign into that particular site. It's more of a search window with a generic welcome and a menu with all of my sign ins on the left hand portion of that window. The extension is turned on in my browser so I'm not sure what, if anything else I need to do.
For instance I'm on the TS site right now. When I click the 1P7 icon at the top of my screen, I see what's in the attached screenshot. (cropped so that private info does not appear)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:15:46 AM by sluggo »
Todd
________________________________________________________________________________

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 10:07:32 AM »
Do you actually have a Login password and user name in 1PW expressly for TS?

The icon showing in your image looks like what 1PW uses for a "Secure Note". A "Login" icon starts out as a 'keyhole' but usually changes to whatever the site uses as a trademark or avatar. (First image)

At TS, it is probably the first two letters of whatever name you entered for the site, in my case, all (but one of) my TS Logins start with "TS" and that's what shows for the 1PW icon.  (Second image) Also note that the icon is something like a 'plaque' with four 'bolts' holding it on to a 'wall' (that hides all the info? :doh: ).

The last image shows what 1PW shows in its Menu Bar window while I'm logged in to TS.

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 07:42:25 PM »
True, you don't have to have a "subscription", but I do encourage software users to pay for stuff they find useful (assuming it is not 'freeware'). I think that's even something TS supports, at least before we lost the "Guidelines" page. :Thinking:

Of course one should support the software developers. I just prefer to do it via perpetual licenses, not subscriptions. ;)

And our guidelines haven't gone anywhere: https://techsurvivors.net/guidelines.html

Should probably figure out how to make a link etc. to all that stuff from the forum... https://techsurvivors.net does still serve as our homepage and I was planning on redoing it, but never got to it. Clearly the background image has gone astray.  :p
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 12:47:55 AM »
Clearly the background image has gone astray.  :p
:ohmy: :dntknw:

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline sluggo

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 07:16:28 AM »
Problem solved. I clicked the toolbar 1P7 icon to open it up while the browser is open. In the first screenshot I click the gear wheel and then choose Preferences.
In Preferences (second screenshot), I click the Mini icon and then select Suggestions in the "Open 1Password to" pulldown menu. Now it's acting like it used to.

Todd

Offline sluggo

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 07:46:34 AM »
Well, I thought the problem was solved. It's still not really doing Auto Fill.
If I'm on a website and click the toolbar icon for 1P7 it does indeed bring up the correct URL and login credentials. However, the Auto Fill button produces nothing. It goes back to the "home screen" so to speak of 1P7.
Edit: it must be a site issue with certain places. I find that Auto Fill will work on some sites but not others.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:22:21 AM by sluggo »
Todd

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 11:18:55 AM »
it must be a site issue with certain places
Yes, please send them the url of any site that gives you problems. Of course, you can still copy and paste the parts that are easily remembered. On the other hand, there are some irritating sites that not not allow pasting into password fields. :wallbash: That may even be the problem in the site you found. Even 1Password can't fix bad designs. :rolleyes:

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 07:46:10 PM »
Some sites simply don't work with 1Password auto-fill; I thought perhaps it might have something to do with security issues, but I think that's not it - it's simply a matter of how the form is coded. I've never bothered to look at it in any detail (no time) - but it's definitely the sites, not a failure of 1Password. ;)

Offline sluggo

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 10:27:00 AM »
Some sites simply don't work with 1Password auto-fill; I thought perhaps it might have something to do with security issues, but I think that's not it - it's simply a matter of how the form is coded. I've never bothered to look at it in any detail (no time) - but it's definitely the sites, not a failure of 1Password. ;)

That's pretty much the conclusion I came to. Not a big deal. If I need to I can pin the 1P7 info on screen and manually type it into the site.
Todd