Author Topic: Do not use AVG antivirus  (Read 702 times)

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Do not use AVG antivirus
« on: May 10, 2021, 09:31:43 AM »
Several months ago, I read an article in Consumer Reports that touted AVG antivirus as the best antivirus app for Mac. Consequently, I downloaded and installed the free version. In retrospect, I should have suspected it when I experienced slowdowns in my computer, including apps that were slow to load and some wonky behavior. AVG kept nagging me about upgrading to the paid version (which I ignored) and gave frequent popup messages that tried to scare me by claiming that something was amiss (in truth, after the first attempt at using it to scan my drive, I hadn't opened it). Then, my wife complained that the computer was frozen. I had to do a forced shutdown and immediately went into Console to consult the crash log.

The crash log showed that AVG was the culprit. I uninstalled AVG by using its uninstall feature in its application menu and then searched for leftovers with Spotlight, Easy Find, and Find Any File. Interestingly, Spotlight found very little compared with the others, and I trashed all the detritus. Since then, my computer is back to normal, no issues, no freezes, and apps launch speedily.

Bottom line: AVG is a virus unto itself. I haven't experienced anything like this since Norton Antivirus caused kernel panics, back in the day. DO NOT USE THIS APP!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 09:47:30 AM by jchuzi »
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: Do not use AVG antivirus
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 10:17:15 AM »
I rely on Apple's Security Updates(!) and a subscription to ClamXAV. Of course, the license info for the app (received in an email) is stored in 1Password. :thumbup: I can't trust Mail (or TM) to always have old messages... :doh:

ClamXAV, simple, runs daily, free trial, never had any problems. Next! :coolio:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline gunug

• TS Addict
  • TS Palindrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 12:45:57 PM »
I have used, and have paid for, AVG on my home Windows machine for many years.  I don't ever think I ever said anything about a MAC version because I have never thought to try it!  Thanks for the info!
"If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!"

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 02:12:40 PM »
In another forum, a poster looked at reviews of AVG and found positive comments for the Windows version but negative ones for the Mac version.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365