Author Topic: Mail bug on iPadOS 13  (Read 1308 times)

Offline macDISH

• Poster Child
    • View Profile
Mail bug on iPadOS 13
« on: October 12, 2020, 08:44:01 AM »
Since upgrading to iPad)S 14, I intermittently see the following error message in sent emails:
This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or email program.

I bcc emails I send on the iPad to myself and they appear normally on webmail or on Mail on my iMac (High Sierra). The display problem occurs only intermittently on the iPad and never on webmail or iMac or MacBook Pro.

If I send thermal with the error message to Trash and then move it to InBox, sometimes the message reappears.

"

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Mail bug on iPadOS 13
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 08:58:28 AM »
I know it's a while since you signed on, but am glad to offer you a warm welcome to Techsurvivors  :)

I can't give much help on your problem, but I'm sure some of our very able posters will be along soon to offer advice.

Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 09:20:09 AM »
First, thanks for your first post to TS! I hope we can find a solution to your problem! :yes:

BTW, 14.0.1 is available, perhaps that is actually the version you are using? If not, that might help.

I only recently acquired an iPad that could even install an iOS newer that 9!! :blush-anim-cl: So my experience is extremely limited! However, here are a few things that might help. The order is basically arranged by ease and safety.
  • Is there any consistency in the messages that cause this error? Are they always from the same sender or domain?
  • Have you tried shutting down the iPad completely and then starting it up after a few minutes?
  • Do you have your emails backed up?
  • Have you tried re-installing Mail? Just be aware that email data NOT stored in iCloud (or backed up elsewhere) will be lost!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline macDISH

• Poster Child
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 10:50:37 AM »
My iPad is on iPad 14.01. THe bug appeared with iPad 14.0 and has continued with 14.01. There is no consistency to the recipients or domains to which emails are sent;
I tried shutting down mail and iPad but bug persists;
On the iPad, I leave the emails on the server and also back up emails every night.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 02:18:30 PM »
Have you tried not just shutting down Mail but actually deleting it so you can then re-install it?
Side note: Make sure you know and can access your email settings (password, registration name, etc.) before deleting the Mail app. That info should remain on the iPad, but never trust anything on a computer to be there when you need it! Better safe than sorry. :yes: :wallbash: :coolio: :Thinking: :doh:

To delete an app from your iOS device, even a built-in app:

'Hard' press and hold any app icon. You should get pop-up menu with "Edit Home Screen".
      Tap "Edit Home Screen".
      All apps should now have a little "x" on the upper, left-hand corner of their icon.
      Tap the little "x" icon in the the Mail icon.
                OR
      'lightly touch' an app's icon and keep your finger on it. You should get a pop-up menu with either
      a "Delete App" or the same "Edit Home Screen" menu.
      Tap either "Edit Home Screen" (or "Delete App" if it is the Mail icon).
      All apps should now have a little "x" on the upper, left-hand corner of their icon.
      Tap the little "x" icon in the the Mail icon.

Open the App Store, search for "Mail" and re-install it.

Offline macDISH

• Poster Child
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 02:43:39 PM »
I deleted the Mail app, downloaded it from App Store and reinstalled the mailboxes and passwords. Now the same error appears in both In Box and Sent Box. The emails are fine when I check them on webmail.

Offline macDISH

• Poster Child
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 03:12:40 PM »
If I send an email from Safari webmail on the to the iPad and open it with Mail, no problem. If I send an email from my iMac (High SIerra) to my iPad, no problem. THe problem only occurs when I compose and send an email from Mail on the iPad that the problem occurs - namely, the sent message shows formatting error. SInce the problem with Mail did not occur with iPadOS 13 or with earlier versions of iOS, it certainly appears as if the bug is in iPad)S 14 and 14.0.1. Identical problem has been reported with iOS 14 on iPhone on the Apple DIscussoions website.
I will report it as a bug to Apple, for what that is worth.

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 04:46:47 PM »
I have had very good experiences with Apple Tech Support. A phone call may be in order. The number is ‭(800) 275-2273‬
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 10:01:24 PM »
Please do report the details to Apple. They do read and track them. They recently removed, fixed, and re-released a Supplemental Update for 10.14 because of a problem. But it can sometimes take a long time to get a fix, especially when it involves multiple devices to duplicate. Be sure to include a raw version of at least a couple of the emails, with any personally identifying text removed, of course.

Offline macDISH

• Poster Child
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 03:26:49 PM »
The bug disappeared as mysteriously as it arrived. I called Apple Tech Support, was transferred to Supervisor by first adviser. Just before calling Support, the "Unable to display…" bug recurred when I sent an email. While on hold at Support, I tried it again a few times, and could no longer reproduce it. Everything worked as it should. The only suggestion the Supervisor had was that there might have been a poor WiFI connection. But downloading mail was as fast as ever, loading websites was as fast as ever.. So unless the problem recurs, it may remain a mystery.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 04:33:09 PM »
Quote from: macDISH
it may remain a mystery
Quote from: B-9 Class M-3 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot
Not so fast, young Will Robinson!
The solution is right there in...
Quote from: your post
I called Apple Tech Support, was transferred to Supervisor by first adviser.
It is widely known that Supervisors have "super" abilities! Why else would they have that in their job title?! :dntknw:

Obviously, the "poor connection" was with the Mother Ship! I hope you now have that connection bookmarked in Safari, Contacts and Keychain! :yes: And thanks for reminding us that Apple Support is Magic, just like their keyboards and mice/trackpads! :rofl:

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 06:44:42 PM »
Well, macDISH, you're not the only person suffering from this, apparently. I found a few other instances as well - but no solutions, alas. Here's hoping your problem, whatever it was, stays fixed.

Here's one post: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/ios-14-mail-app-bug.134246/

The only thing that occurs to me is the POP vs IMAP thing - but that really shouldn't cause this issue, methinks.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline macDISH

• Poster Child
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »
The bug persists after updating to iPad02 14.1