Author Topic: Problems with new ibook and iPod  (Read 1902 times)

Offline chrisharjo

• Poster
    • View Profile
Problems with new ibook and iPod
« on: January 01, 2004, 03:58:59 AM »
huh.gif I read a article from the Reuters news about people having problems with
these products. I was considering getting a new iBook this new year but
this article does not paint a pretty picture. They mentioned people
signing petitions and having problems with iBook motherboards and iPod
batteries. The only Powerbooks I have is a Duo 280c and Powerbook 160.
Do any of you people out there had any problems described in the article? thanx.gif

Offline Greg Dunn

• Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 04:46:40 PM »
We've got both-a G3 800Mhz iBook and an iPod.  The iBook, which we've had for about 8 months, worked fine until one day-poof.  Nothing.  Took it back to the Apple store, and they fixed it under warranty, putting in a new logic board.  They had to ship it to Memphis, and it took about 5 days.  I was impressed with the quick turnaround time, and my wife just loves the iBook.  I've had the iPod since October.  I've got ALL of our CD's on it, so anywhere we go, we can take our music collection with us.  Pretty neat.  I wish my car stereo had a jack to plug it in, like some after market car stereos do.  The FM transmitter is nice, but there's better sound with a direct hookup.  I've heard about the battery problem, that it dies after about 18 months.  Apparently, Apple has a replacement program, for $99.00.  I guess that's reasonable.  All in all, we have no regrets about either the iPod orthe iBook. There will always be people who are surprised when electronic things don't work, like those petition signers that you mentioned.  I figure, as long as Apple is willing to stand behind the product, it's worth it.
There's my two cent's worth!  Sorry if I got a little wordy.

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 10:02:35 PM »
Here's a page with updated info on the iPod battery situation. It isn't as bad as some reports have made it sound.

iPod FAQ

If you are considering an iPod wait until MacWorld next week.

A Techsurvivors founder