Author Topic: The Algorithm "progression" at Facebook  (Read 642 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
The Algorithm "progression" at Facebook
« on: October 27, 2021, 02:29:48 PM »
Facebook became an angrier, more polarizing place. It didn’t help that, starting in 2017, the algorithm had assigned reaction emoji — including the angry emoji — five times the weight of a simple “like,” according to company documents...
One takeaway is that Facebook’s algorithm isn’t a runaway train. The company may not directly control what any given user posts, but by choosing which types of posts will be seen, it sculpts the information landscape according to its business priorities. Some within the company would like to see Facebook use the algorithm to explicitly promote certain values, such as democracy and civil discourse...
The whole report.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: The Algorithm "progression" at Facebook
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 05:36:36 PM »
Yet the news feed ranking system is not a total mystery. Two crucial elements are entirely within the control of Facebook’s human employees, and depend on their ingenuity, their intuition and ultimately their value judgments. Facebook employees decide what data sources the software can draw on in making its predictions. And they decide what its goals should be — that is, what measurable outcomes to maximize for, and the relative importance of each.
Thus confirming how totally useless FB is. I've gotten to the point where any company that only uses FB as their "web site" no longer gets my business. Any business can set up a free blog at blogspot. Or, gosh, here's an idea, hire someone to set up a simple website. There are ways to do so without spending a fortune.  :p

After dumping my original FB account, and then setting up a new one where I'm super selective over who I allow as a friend, I found FB to be useful. Then I accepted a few more friends, and joined a couple of groups. Suddenly FB was no longer useful.

It's obvious that a lot of these so-called friends are only interested in clicking "like/love/whatever" and they never respond. Come Nov. 1st, I'll be culling my already short list down once again, and I'll be dumping all the useless groups.

Who knows, maybe I'll go back to my family and the local weather guy (need to know about hurricane's and he lives on FB 24/7/365) and that will be all I'll do there. Send me an email. Send me a text. I respond to both. ;)