Author Topic: 10.13.6 is now available  (Read 1786 times)

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
10.13.6 is now available
« on: July 11, 2018, 03:40:24 PM »
I took the plunge and updated to 10.13.6 using the Combo Updater. Everything seems to be working well.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
Re: 10.13.6 is now available
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 03:47:29 AM »
Please leave an update or two about how the OS is working...  :)  I'm currently downloading it from the App Store in the hopes of stashing it until I'm ready... think it may well be before September but just in case.

The 10.13.5 download was 5.2 GB... the 10.13.6 is 4.80GB... still a 2 hour download!  :doh:

Launchpad says the download IS 5.22GB App Store says 4.80GB... so I have no idea yet what version I'm getting.
I've also been looking at online posts etc. about Time Machine not working on High Sierra... true? I hope not!

OK... so I've got Install macOS High Sierra.app in applications and on launchpad at 5.22GB. I set it in Get Info to open with an app I have called "RCDefault>DoNothing.app so all it did was ask if I wanted to install High Sierra... then I hit Command +Q and it seems good. The version is 10.13.6.02 Will now zip it and stash in Utilities where El Cap is as well.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:39:28 AM by Dreambird »
On permanent walk-about... ;)
MacBook Pro Retina, mid-2012, SSD 500GB, 16GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.6, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4.1

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 06:15:36 AM »
Time machine is working as it should in High Sierra (I just tested it). As you said in another thread, the problem occurs if you convert TM to APFS. So far, I'm having no problems with 10.13.6.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »
Exactly... I found that link after I asked you... I decided to post it as a new topic even though I don't see anyone complaining about here but I thought it was a good bit of info to know. ;)
MacBook Pro Retina, mid-2012, SSD 500GB, 16GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.6, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4.1

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »
I was waiting to download and install this, and then this morning I was met with an alert: restart to install software.  :blink: I went to App store and discovered that the 10.13.6 update was downloaded and waiting. I forgot to come here to figure out how to NOT install it, so I clicked check with me later. Well, one hour later, when I was in the middle of a major project, my iMac said RESTARTING and installing your shiny new software.  :wallbash:  So I'm now running 10.13.6. Hope I don't have any problems.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 05:54:14 PM »
It seemed to download on my Mac last week, also. Even though it is tedious to constantly click the 'remind me later (like next mont!)' option, I manage to do it for at least the first few weeks an update is around. Didn't quite work that way with 13.6. At least there have been no crashes/problems with this one. Of course, updates this late in a new versions life cycle are usually just bug fixes along with the constant security hole patches. :wallbash:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 07:26:30 PM »
I was waiting to download and install this, and then this morning I was met with an alert: restart to install software.  :blink: I went to App store and discovered that the 10.13.6 update was downloaded and waiting. I forgot to come here to figure out how to NOT install it, so I clicked check with me later. Well, one hour later, when I was in the middle of a major project, my iMac said RESTARTING and installing your shiny new software.  :wallbash:  So I'm now running 10.13.6. Hope I don't have any problems.
How do you have System Preferences > App Store configured? I have mine set to automatically check for updates but not to download newly available ones. I prefer to do this manually.
Jon

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 08:40:29 PM »
I prefer to do this manually.
So do I, that's why I have the same settings.
    X Automatically check for updates
      – Download newly available updates in background
      X Install app updates
      – Install macOS updates
      X Install system data files and security updates
Unfortunately, they were not respected.

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 09:26:35 PM »
I also prefer to check manually.
I also downloaded the High Sierra installer, not to install it now but to zip it up and stash it until I'm ready. What I did was when it finished downloading I pressed Command+Q to quit the installer app. It shouldn't bother you after that but in any case mine can't... it's in a zip archive...  :toothgrin:
I found that in link online, people often do this so they can create bootable flash thumb drives so as to install it on several machines instead of waiting for it to download on each machine.

Actually my iPad does this to me now and then... on starting it up it prompts me to install the new OS... I found that clicking later doesn't really do a lot, it's clear it expects you to choose a time whatever. So after I get through with that I go to system preferences under the general tab I can select to check storage on my drive... NOT iCloud... scroll down til I see the iOS 11 update and delete it. It won't bother me again for some time, usually after I've synced with my MBP. I haven't got my iPad on right now so I hope I remembered that place to find it correctly! I know it's the General tab and select storage, there are 2 options... on your iPad or iCloud and it's the internal drive not iCloud.
Anyway if you download an OS and don't want to install it right away, Control+clicking on the app to get the contextual menu, choose Compress "whatever app"... you will get a file: App Name.zip or if it's several items, Archive.zip which you can rename. I have a Install macOS High Sierra.app.zip in my Utilities folder. Then delete the app and empty trash. It can't install until you unzip it and put it back in the Applications folder and start it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:42:27 PM by Dreambird »

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 10:17:02 PM »
How do you have System Preferences > App Store configured?
Similar to xABD, although I am unable to turn on "Install app updates". See attached.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 10:30:48 PM »
I didn't take a screen shot and putting most 'styles' in a 'list' breaks it. The check mark in the Install app updates is 'checked' but disabled. I think you have to actually enable enable the first option; "Download newly available..." before you can change the "Install app updates". Of course, you don't want to do that while there are OS updates waiting... :oops: :eek:

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 01:20:22 PM »
One oddity: Safari has reverted to an older version of bookmarks.  :blink:  I've fixed them all, but not a fun thing to find early in the morning.  <_<