Author Topic: How to convert to APFS to be able to upgrade OS?  (Read 165 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: How to convert to APFS to be able to upgrade OS?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2024, 10:12:39 AM »
I agree with Kris, if the choice of "Convert to APFS" is greyed out, that format is already functioning.

However, to answer your question: "And how do I know when I am in Recovery Mode or not?"
In my opinion, always use the complete Shutdown and startup process instead of the "Restart" function.

So:
 1. Shutdown the Mac.
 2. Wait 23 seconds.
 3. Hold down the Command and the "R" key with one hand.
 4. Press the power button with the other hand.
 5. Be patient. Keep the Command and "R" key down.
 6. You will probably see the Apple Logo pop up. However, it may only be brief.
         Keep the Command and "R" key down.
 7. You should now see a progress bar. There may not be an Apple logo at this point.
         Keep the Command and "R" key down.
 8. The progress bar may only get to about 20%. Keep the Command and "R" key down.
 9. The short progress bar wil be replaced by another progress bar with the Apple Logo.
10. You can now release the Command and "R" key.
11. You will eventually see the following:
   A. A black background screen
   B. A smallish window with a list of four items:
       a. Restore from Time Machine
       b. Reinstall (an operating system)
       c. Safari
       d. Disk Utility
12. Click "Disk Utility" (either with a double-click or just once and then use the "Continue" button)
13. Select any Volume shown.
14. Select The Edit menu and see if the "Convert to AFPS" is allowed.
     A. If it is allowed you can convert that Volume to AFPS.
     B. If that option is greyed out, the Volume is already formatted as AFPS or it is damaged.

If you don't see the steps above through #11, you are NOT in Recovery mode.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2024, 10:58:27 PM »
Here are screen shots. I may not have explained my issue properly. My apologies. Hope this info helps. In order of the images...
1. Super Duper showing my EHD that I am tying to back up to.
2. SD message which started me trying to "convert".
3. Disk Utility window showing EHD
4. Edit Menu with all APFS text greyed out. Where's the "convert" option?
5. EHD Get Info. Format is "Mac OS Extended". Oops, won't load any more images.
Is this what I am trying to convert?
27" iMac, 2017, 3.47 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1.03 TB HD,
OSX10.14.6 • 15" MacBookPro mid 2012, OSX10 .15.7 • Mac Mini OSX12.16.2 • iPhone 12

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2024, 01:13:24 AM »
I'm not sure why SuperDuper says you have to convert the external to APFS other than this I found at the Shirt-Pocket website from Dave Nanian:

"Since the source is APFS, and there are features of APFS that cannot be replicated on HFS+, such as sparse files, it's wise to use the same format. It's not required, but, for example, a 2TB "sparse file" on the source that might only have 200K of data in it will take up 200K on the source and 2TB on the backup...and will be 2TB once restored, if you use HFS+."

That said, you may be able to keep the existing data as HFS+ and create a separate partition on the external that is APFS. This link explains with pictures how to do that (2nd choice).

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/harddrive-tips/convert-external-drive-to-apple-file-system-apfs-format.html

Some caveats: if your previous attempt to convert with SD failed, it may have corrupted the data presently on the EHD. You may have to erase the disk anyway and start from scratch. Not terrible if you only had a previous User Folder and nothing much else.
But once again, I recommend having more than one external bkup, one SSD with a complete clone, one for Time Machine or timed SD backups and one strictly for data that can be HFS+(OS extended) so it can be used with an older Mac OS if you have legacy machines.
Here is a thread at Shirt-Pocket that confirms my suggestion as well as another at Apple with similar thoughts:

https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34675#post34675

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253532971?sortBy=best

Hope this helps you get to your goal.  :)

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2024, 10:56:26 AM »
OK, I think I finally understand the problem. It is not being unable to convert the computers volume to APFS. That was done when you updated to the OS, that was part of the install process whether you saw it or not.

The problem is with Super Duper and is known by that developer. I stopped using SD years ago and have no recent experience with it, so I'll leave the thread. :notworthy:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2024, 12:04:27 PM »
Years ago, I switched from SuperDuper to Carbon Copy Cloner and have had no issues.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P700, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365