Author Topic: Throwing the Baby Out with the Bathwater?  (Read 898 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Throwing the Baby Out with the Bathwater?
« on: March 28, 2022, 11:16:22 AM »
Ever heard of "Rumble"? Here's a description of their "goal":
Quote from: Jeremy W. Peters, NYT
Rumble has already built out its own cloud service infrastructure and video streaming capacity, offering it and its partners greater independence from the Amazons and Microsofts of the internet — and the assurance that they can’t be shut down if one of those providers decides to pull the plug over objectionable content.

As much as I dislike Amazon/Google/Microsoft/other internet giants, is that really what we need? Do we really want a "giant" with no regard to what they "publish". Can Truth withstand an internet like that? Truth is already under attack by extremists and conspiracists. :wallbash:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing the Baby Out with the Bathwater?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 12:19:49 PM »
Ever heard of "Rumble"? Here's a description of their "goal":
Quote from: Jeremy W. Peters, NYT
Rumble has already built out its own cloud service infrastructure and video streaming capacity, offering it and its partners greater independence from the Amazons and Microsofts of the internet — and the assurance that they can’t be shut down if one of those providers decides to pull the plug over objectionable content.

As much as I dislike Amazon/Google/Microsoft/other internet giants, is that really what we need? Do we really want a "giant" with no regard to what they "publish". Can Truth withstand an internet like that? Truth is already under attack by extremists and conspiracists. :wallbash:

Do you have a link to Peter's statement?

Never mind. I found the article you are apparently referring to.  :mad: IMHO, this thread is way too close to the "no politics" rule. With that comment, I'll step away before I say things I'll regret.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: Throwing the Baby Out with the Bathwater?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 05:12:56 PM »
Frankly, I think this fits on the Tech side. I have done no study of "Rumble" or any of its "political" leanings. If it has some, it is even more threatening. If it has, please let me know. It is hard enough to get all sides of any topic without having "politics" involved. We've certainly seen what "political" control of media has done in recent weeks; you can now get 15 years in a Russian prison by saying anything negative about Putin. And Russia is far from the only state that wants complete control over all media, including the web.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes: