Author Topic: What is this?? And do I need it?  (Read 3548 times)

Offline RobW

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
What is this?? And do I need it?
« on: January 31, 2004, 03:44:09 PM »
I happened to notice a TextEdit file called Log Program Flow.txt in my applications folder. I was shocked to see that it's over 15mb. I have no idea what the text in there is. Is this something I need??
-Rob
A couple of IMacs, an iPad, a bunch of iPhones...two of which don’t live here, but I still pay for. Oh yeah, wife, daughters, and yes—a grandson!

Offline kelly

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 04:38:12 PM »
I doubt it. smile.gif

Can you read it? What does Get Info say about it?
kelly
Veteran SuperUser

Offline RobW

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 10:17:04 PM »
Well, being that it's a 15.1mb text file, it would take about a week to finish loading. eek2.gif  smile.gif (I close it out before it ever finishes.)

I went under get info earlier and it only indicates that it's a "plain text document" that was created on 1/3/04. How the heck can you end up with a plain text document that's less than a month old and is that large??? Here's some of what's in there:

CPollTransTimer start 7:25:26 AM
CPollTransTimer end 7:25:26 AM
CPollSocketsTimer start 7:25:26 AM
CPollSocketsTimer end 7:25:26 AM
CAppPollTimer start 7:25:26 AM

I can't imagine it's something I need to have, but before I get rid of it, I guess I should know what it is.  unsure.gif
-Rob
A couple of IMacs, an iPad, a bunch of iPhones...two of which don’t live here, but I still pay for. Oh yeah, wife, daughters, and yes—a grandson!

Offline mooregr

• Poster Child
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 10:26:59 PM »
I would suggest moving the file to another folder and see if it comes back or breaks something. That way you could put it back. Just by what you have shown it looks like a network related log file of some sort. It may come back if you run what ever made it again. I don't know for sure but I would try moving it.
Thanks
Guy

Offline pendragon

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pendragonservices.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 08:13:33 AM »
Rob, FWIW: I too have a file (document) like that. But mine is invisibe, is only 4KB in size, and is actually called " _call_program". It is located at: computer/usr/share/zsh/4.1.1/functions/_call_program. Having the file does not seem too strange to me, but I think the  size of your file may be atypical. On the plus side, you can rightfully claim your is bigger. eusa_dance.gif

But exactly what this (log file?) does and why it is created is best answered by one ofthe UNIX gurus. Fer shore, I dunno.

Harv
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~ Voltaire

Offline Gary S

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 09:39:46 AM »
I just did a search and I don't have one. sad.gif Poor me smile.gif
Gary S

Offline RobW

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 10:07:03 AM »
QUOTE(Gary S @ Feb 1 2004, 11:39 AM)
I just did a search and I don't have one. sad.gif Poor me smile.gif

No problem, Gary--I just emailed you mine.  tongue.gif  Harv, I think I'll ignore every urge I have to reply to your comment.  devilishgrin.gif
-Rob

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 10:16:33 AM »
I don't have one either. At least, not a visible one. Try dragging it to the trash(without emptying) or copy it to a different partition and then delete the original. Then see if TextEdit opens ok without it. I don't imagine that anything else will be affected.

I couldn't find anything with Google on this file.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline RobW

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2004, 10:28:38 AM »
Paddy, that's exactly what I just did (drag to another partition and delete the original) before I saw your post. So far, no problems. BTW, right next to it, was a 24kb file created the same date, and a few minutes later, called "log database.txt". (It's another TextEdit file.) Here's a sample of that one:

CSuperTaskManager.LoadSuperTasks Begin 7:34:33 AM
CSuperTaskManager.LoadSuperTasks End 7:34:34 AM
CSuperTaskManager.SaveSuperTasks Begin 7:38:07 AM

So, if I don't post for a few weeks, assume that these files are kind of important.  eek2.gif
-Rob

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2004, 11:06:27 AM »
Sorry, Rob.  no luck. You'll just have to get back to the more important task(s) of assembling the chips and dips 'n whatever for this afternoon.

Visual inspection of my Panther's Applications Folder shows only items identified as either Folders or Applications. Nary a text file in the carload.

Use of Find pulls out nothing by the name you provided . . . anywhere.

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2004, 11:09:09 AM »
Rob, you must have something running that the rest of us don't - I've looked in my invisible files too now, and nothing at all for any of the file names you've mentioned. Any third party stuff that might be responsible?

Thinking.gif
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline kps

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2004, 11:48:44 AM »
I can't find any trace of this either...

As Paddy already mentioned, you must have some application running that logs it's "flow" to the Applications Folder. If it was the OS X system, it would likely log any activity to the /var/log directory and not the Apps folder. That's why I think it's a third party app and nothing "native" to Apple.

I thought of Cocktail, but after checking my version, it does not appear to be it.

I'd check all preferences for your installed apps starting with the letter "C" and see if you turned on some type of "logging" in any of them.

Offline RobW

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2004, 01:49:02 PM »
So, this is an odd one, isn't it? smile.gif Well, since I trashed it, I've seen no problems, and those two files haven't reappeared in that folder--so...for now, I'll assume I don't have to worry about it. But, just in case, I'll keep those files on the other partition.

RHP--chips, dip?? Is there some sort of game later today? (Here in Philadelphia for obvious reasons we kind of pretend that game doesn't exist. verysad.gif )
-Rob

Offline Bill

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2004, 03:19:40 PM »
I would of transferred it to a cdr just in case Rob but guess it worked out anyways.
Two cans and a string powered by a big mouth