Author Topic: NWC Monitor and off/on  (Read 2677 times)

Offline csonni

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
NWC Monitor and off/on
« on: December 16, 2007, 03:09:01 AM »
Just recently purchased an NEC Multisync LCD2470WNX monitor to use with my G5.  Oftentimes, I'll either sleep the G5 or just simply turn the monitor off.  When turning the monitor back on, it will come on and then turn off again, requiring another push on.  Just this morning, after sleeping the G5 for the night, I saw the small DVI Input window thingy flashing.  The G5 was no longer sleeping, but it took several tries to get the monitor to come on with the on button.  Each time I tried the little DVI window would come up with "no input".  It did finally come on but I'm getting a bit concerned.  I never experienced this behavior with a monitor.  What should I check into?  I don't see any settings that would cause this kind of behavior.  Could it be a faulty cable?

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
NWC Monitor and off/on
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:47:11 PM »
When you turn the monitor back on it is normal to see a brief "No Input" message then a dark screen for a few seconds. It should then power up when it detects the signal from the waking Mac.

Doesn't your monitor go off when the Mac sleeps? It should go into a sleep mode of its own and not need to be turned completely off.
Check your energy settings.

Do check the pins on the cable and make sure none are bent. Also make sure the graphics card is well seated.

Then there always is the old zap the PRAM or reset the NVRAM. Couldn't hurt. smile.gif

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline csonni

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
NWC Monitor and off/on
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 03:07:36 AM »
The problem is with going off and not coming back on.
I don't always want to sleep the computer.  Just turn off the monitor.
I zapped the pram as someone suggested and that seems to have done the trick, so far.  If not, I will check the pins and card.
Thanks.