Author Topic: Check Your iPhone Data Usage  (Read 878 times)

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Check Your iPhone Data Usage
« on: May 22, 2014, 01:36:38 PM »
Since the last iOS update my iPhone started "automatically" playing music from the Music App when the phone connected to the Bluetooth in my car. I looked into discussions about the problem and found I wasn't the only one who noticed this. I didn't become aware immediately because the music played in the background unless I used the Media Button. The battery started taking a hit due to the app running so I found a way to disable the Music app. It meant I had to turn of Cellular Usage for the Music App and finally deleting the music entirely. With no music to play, I finally silenced the Music App.

The other day I was looking at my AT&T account to change the plan my wife and have. When I looked at my data usage for the past few months it clearly showed a jump in data usage. I hope the steps I took will make a difference.

The image here shows just how much more data usage was logged.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:41:08 PM by Bruce_F »
-Bruce-

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 02:40:49 PM »
Are you using iTunes Match?

I've never used the Music app, had to search to even find it. Not sure how one turns it ON/OFF as I don't see any controls for it except in Settings. And even there, I don't see any way to stop it. I'd suggest checking the controls you have in your car, also.

I said I've never used the Music app but I now remember trying to edit the list of "Featured Stations" in the past few months. Apparently that's not possible. Apple provides the list. Period. I can create my own 'stations' but the Featured list is hard-wired.

Oh well, I suppose I'm just not normal. (That's a surprise to anyone?) I think a car is one of the worst places I can think of to listen to music. Too much going on around me (often called traffic), too much noise (even in my new very quiet car), too many 'distractions' if I'm going cross country (anyone for scenery?). laughhard.gif So, I generally have BBC Radio or NPR news/talk shows (and with SeriousXM, NPR Talk). "Music" would occur during Prairie Home Companion! And very occasionally on Car Talk! clap.gif
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:18:54 PM »
I generally listen to NPR or another public radio station while driving around town.

If I'm going to be on the road like my recent trip from Washington State to California and back, I like to use streaming music such as Pandora or Spotify. I don't use the Music App but it had a connection to my iTunes library and iTunes Radio. Once I turned off Cellular Data Usage and removed the connection to my music library the app stays dormant.

The main reason I wanted to alert others about this because of the data usage. I recently put myself on a limited data plan to save some money. The last thing I want is some app deciding to run without my knowledge.
-Bruce-

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »
But how is the poor telephone company going to pay their CEO... workers if you don't spend more?! eek2.gif
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes: