Author Topic: 3G purchasing difficulties  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
3G purchasing difficulties
« on: August 12, 2008, 03:52:01 PM »
Went to the local Apple Store to get a couple of 3Gs for me and my wife this morning. Our Anniversary is this week. This year we're both getting something we can use. wink.gif

Plenty of stock available, no problems. But I had to approach a clerk who was not involved with any customer and ask for help in the purchase. "Do you have a ticket?" he asked. Nope, had that dismissed a couple of weeks ago, didn't even have to pay court costs! smile.gif He said I was lucky but I still needed to wait in line at the checkout and get a 3G 'ticket' before he could start the purchase process!

OK, not many in line, shouldn't take long. So, I gets my tickets and the fellow is called back to set me up. He gets my phone numbers, drivers license and last four digits of my SS#. I already knew our 6 year old phones were 'eligible' for upgrading and the $200 price. I could see the phones getting into my sweaty hands shortly!

"Uh, do you have a business plan with AT&T?" Not that I know of. But searching the last bill we got I notice that there is an "Access Discount" on both our numbers. Thinking.gif What is that about? At any rate, the clerk says I'll have to go to an AT&T store to buy the phones.

Not wanting to drive another 10 miles to AT&T, I asked if there was a number I might call to straighten this thing out. "Sure, dial 611." When back to my car, dialed the number and was rather quickly connected to a real person. She said, sure enough, I(we) were shown in their records as having some kind of 'business discount.' Why, from whom and since when she didn't know. But as long as the $20 a month discount was on my record, I was not even eligible to buy an iPhone! At least she gave me the phone numbers of a couple of AT&T stores where I could get the discount removed. I could then return to the store and pick up and activate the phones.

I, again, decided to let my fingers do the walking. A gent at the first AT&T store said they were getting a lot of these kinds of calls. He said he could remove of the discount but I should wait at least 20 minutes for the 'system' to get updated. OK, glad I'm not on a schedule. So it's back inside the Store to wait and play with the iPhones some more...

After waiting what seemed more like 40 minutes, I approached the check out waving my oh so special 'tickets' to resume the process. They finally found someone who knew how to handle these tricky purchases and we were off and running, again. Dispensed all the same info as before, clerk calls the secret AT&T number and...they still say I've got a disqualifying discount! Do not pass GO, do not drop $200 and report to the nearest AT&T store for further instructions immediately!

The Apple clerk did some more calling and found another AT&T agent who said he would take care of it by writing up a "change notice" to the 'system.' He said I should get a text message in 40 minutes to an hour. Since I'd already pretty well memorized every shelf in the Store, I decided to go home and wait.

Now I've got the magic text message and am about to leave for the Store, again. Any bets about success? I'm certainly not going to hold my breath. sad.gif I'm just glad they got all the bugs in the activation process worked out. wallbash.gif
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Gregg

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 07:06:46 AM »
I'd try to wrangle a complimentary gift card out of 'em for your inconvenience. goodluck.gif
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Cupertino can have better TV reception.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »
Got them both, just fine. However, I wanted to pay by check. Well, that starts with "C" and that rhymes with "T" and that stands for "Trouble!" smile.gif Everyone at the Store uses a portable credit card machine so they can take your money make transactions quick and easy from anywhere in the Store. So, first the clerk creates a Gift Card with the correct amount and uses that to 'swipe' through the card reader. Twice. I needed(?) two iPhones and they have to be purchased/activated separately. wallbash.gif

Learning my lesson, I then purchased a cover for my phone and paid with the CC. I amusingly chided the clerk for asking to see some identification because that's written on the back of my card. But I agreed to show her my driver's license, a THIRD time. Rules are rules... rolleyes.gif

Charged both phones over night. Synced my contacts and accessed my email just before hitting the sack. I'll work on transferring Judy's info when I have more time.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline RNKIII

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
If anyone 'happens' to be riding around NYC in a cab and finds an original iPhone..... it's my elder (absent minded) son's....  "Left it / dropped it" somewhere in a cab.....   wallbash.gif
Called it intermittently for 2 - 3 days and never got a pickup.... So went out and got a 3G at the local (Soho) Apple Store....

So, if you come across one let me know... I've got 'dibs' on the old one... whistling.gif

Bob K.   rnkiii
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to
use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

Offline Gregg

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:26:12 PM »
QUOTE(RNKIII @ Aug 13 2008, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anyone 'happens' to be riding around NYC in a cab and finds an original iPhone..... it's my elder (absent minded) son's....  "Left it / dropped it" somewhere in a cab.....   wallbash.gif
Called it intermittently for 2 - 3 days and never got a pickup....:

So, no life imitating art in this case, eh?
You've seen the commercial, right?
The lost phone is returned... goodluck.gif
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Cupertino can have better TV reception.

Offline RNKIII

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Actually, that did happen to younger (more persistent) son in Chicago last Christmas Eve...
He left/lost his cell phone in a cab going from one place to another and when he discovered it missing called the cell every 15 minutes for about 3 hours...
Finally cabbie got so 'leaked off' about the phone ringing that he answered and said he'd return it to son's apartment at the end of his shift, if he'd just stop calling...   Got it back for a $25 'delivery charge'.

Bob K.   rnkiii
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:00:34 PM by RNKIII »
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to
use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

Offline Gregg

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 07:14:19 AM »
Persistence usually pays off... one way or the other! wink.gif