Author Topic: Why doesn't a search work on email  (Read 6699 times)

Offline dakota

• Super Duper Poster
  • Late 2019 27" iMac 10.14.5, mid-2010 27" iMac
    • View Profile
Why doesn't a search work on email
« on: December 13, 2007, 12:19:43 AM »
All of a sudden, I can't search for anything in my emails.  WHen I type in what I ned to find in the search box. nothing happens.  I have checked all  the "help" files, and can't find any information.  Can anyone help with this?  Thanks, Leslie
To err is human, to forgive canine

Offline danf63

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.muchospanish.com
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 05:09:02 AM »
What version of OS X are you running? And I assume you're using Mac Mail?

Dan
G5 iMac running Tiger 10.4.5, dual-USB iBook 500 mhz running Panther, iBook G3 500 mhz running Panther in my daughters' room-- all connected to wireless Network.  Road Runner cable Internet from Time Warner.

Offline dakota

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:38:51 AM »
Using 10.5 on new iMac.  From what I have read, updating to 10.5.1 has not eliminated the problem for other people who have discovered this is happening.  Seems to be pretty widespread, which should make me feel somewhat less isolated - but this is very frustrating!

Offline sandbox

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
hey dakota, I'd like to help you but you seem to think that we can see what your doing and we can't, or at least I can't.
What email program do you use, are you trying to use finder and not the search engine in your email program?

Your leaving critical data out of your inquiries so I can't possibly be of any help to you, and I suspect that others are experiencing the same lack of specificity.

You will only get out what you put in, so give us a lot of information and the solution will come much faster, if there is a solution at all. wink.gif

Offline dakota

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 04:21:32 PM »
Using Mail under Leopard 10.5 on iMac. Trying to use the search window in the mail window.  Apple has been of no help.  Went through the terminal "fix", removed the envelope index from the mail folder, and forced an indexing by Spotlight by dragging the HD to the privacy window .  Still no success.  Search will work with "To" and "From", but not with mailbox or whole message.  I have read that this seems to be widespread, but no one has been able to post a fix.

Offline ilw-00

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 11:55:12 AM »
Hi,
I went to the Apple store with the mail problem as well as one with idvd.  I could not do any searchs with mail although spotlight was working perfectly. They did a repeat archive and install with a different disc than the one I had used and now all searchs  are working normally with mail.  Before spotlight was reconsitiuted after the archive and install, I could search just to and from.  But once it was reconstituted all search functions have returned.

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 10:16:01 PM »
That reminds me of an article I read shortly after Leopard was released to the effect that some install disks were defective. Could be your OS was installed using one of them.

But try creating a new account, send yourself some emails and see if you can search in that account.

If that doesn't work either, you might try doing an Archive and INstall. Last would be using another disk.

A Techsurvivors founder