Author Topic: Mail Users, Rich Text or Plain Text?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline pendragon

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pendragonservices.com
Mail Users, Rich Text or Plain Text?
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:16:33 AM »
Mail offers the default option/preference to use Plain Text or Rich Text.

I am of a mixed mind on this issue and wonder what Mail users (and others who have a choice) recommend and why they made the decision they did.

Your thoughts, musings, and suggestions are most welcome.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~ Voltaire

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »
I can't afford "Rich Text," being on a fixed income, now. I just prefer plain text on the incoming side, myself. Avoids all the stupid background 'textures' and such. Just me, I guess. Most people don't seem to mind or care about bandwidth or knowing what the recipient will actually see, much less what is more important, substance or presentation. wallbash.gif
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:51:01 AM »
I don't use Mail, I'm still enjoying Eudora, but I send and prefer to receive PLAIN TEXT. If I want fancy, I'll visit a web site, but I dislike downloading bloated emails just because they look fancy. I got this notion back when we still had dial-up and the world was going DSL and I would have to go do laundry, vacuum, dust and tap my feet while all these bloated emails downloaded and downloaded and downloaded. I mean, the whole idea was the computer was to give me an excuse NOT to do all those things. biggrin.gif

I will say that what you compose in one program may not be viewed the same way in another program, so keep that in mind.

Just my nickels worth -- and trust me I'm probably in the minority.

Offline pendragon

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pendragonservices.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 08:32:06 PM »
ABD & Kimmer,

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. Indeed 'tis appreciated.

And yes, Plain Text is what I use. Like you, I have yet to find a compelling reason to change.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 06:09:18 AM by pendragon »
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~ Voltaire

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 01:29:51 AM »
Spoil sports, all.

So what's so bad about having a little fun with/in your "literary" adventures?

Do you still write with quill pens and take the Hudson out for short spins in the country on Sunday afternoons?

Give me flamboyance or give me Etch-a-Sketch!   whistling.gif

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »
Don't use quills anymore, but if it's a quick note, to myself or to anyone else, it's a pencil or a text email. If I want to display my vast knowledge and vocabulary, I'd write a book. If I wanted to display my graphics and design skills, I'd build a wed page and forget about any 'message.' wink.gif Different tools for different tasks. dntknw.gif I have one 'gentleman' who feel compelled to create 'messages' in 72 point text or to insert a web page instead of a link to same. What's the point? dntknw.gif Nor do I include appropriate background music when phoning friends/companies/politicians/enemies. Same analogy, IMHO, neither the graphics/fancy fonts nor the music would really add anything to the message, which, I think, is the whole point of the exercise. Just because something can be done, is no reason to do, despite of what Nike says. wink.gif Obviously, YMMV.

However, Sir (Quill)Dragon simply asked for opinions wish were offered. I know I am in the minority, but I use a Mac, too! laughhard.gif It's a choice and that's mine. You are perfectly free to select a different choice, whatever you prefer. And, as long as we have a choice, we can all get along together. wub.gif Frankly, using plain text makes absolutely no demands on anyone. On the other hand, extraneous graphics can sometimes confuse simpler mail applications and is certainly wasted on screen readers.

Now, get back to creating/editing your very well done "FML News." rofl.gif salute.gif
And be very careful about 'pulling chains!' Especially when one wears a suit of ancient design made of small, interconnected loops of metal...somewhat related to the subject of a "chain letter." rant.gif
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:30:19 AM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »
But, but what about the Hudson . . . or do you have a Studebaker with all that glass?

• • • •

And speaking of Pages . . .

I have finally built and polished an 8 page template (11x17) for the local Friends of the Library News. Am getting ready for the June edition and '09 simply dazzles me. Granted this is a "teesy-tiny-taters" newsletter, not a metropolitan daily, but for me/us Pages has absolutely everything I've found I need.

It did take some time, and lots of generous TeeEss help get get where I am with it (and a couple of One-to-One sessions at the Apple Store didn't hurt, either), but if anyone wants a Mac solution to layout, Pages ought to be your first choice, IMNSHO. It just works, after some painless skill-building.

It's supposed to be fun and it absolutely is.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:47:07 AM by RHPConsult »

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »
Like Kimmer, I remember all too well the days of dial-up.

I use plain text, with the odd exception of fancy stuff only on special occasions involving people I know have broadband. But it is extremely rare.

However, if anybody gets rich-text messages from me it's a mistake oops.gif

My brother, I think, is probably the last person living within 50 miles of London who is still on PAYG dial-up. He says it's because it forces him to limit his time on the web. It's a point of view....

As Jim implied: - each to his/her own smile.gif

Dick: Post some of your pages on here - or just email to one or two of us - and you'll be able to claim a worldwide readership wink.gif
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:26:31 AM by Highmac »
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.