Author Topic: Another reason to never visit Facebook!  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Another reason to never visit Facebook!
« on: November 23, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »
Yep, I already don't visit until I get an email saying something has been posted on my "wall." And, hopefully, soon, I won't even have to visit then! I can do it via email! What a concept! WOW.gif

Remind me again why I need Facebook. Thinking.gif Is it to see the ads or to experience more loss of my personal info? I forgot... rofl.gif
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Jack W

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »
Never have used Facebook, or Twitter or any of those social networking thingies.

Hopefully never will.
Good to be Here.

My Macs: 2010 27" alum iMac 2.8GHz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Mavericks 10.9.5, 4GB SDRAM (Workhorse),
13” Late 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 10.6.8, 2GB SDRAM,
(2) External HD - Firewire/USB Macally Enclosures  with 1TB Hitachi Drives,
Time Machine external drive - ditto above - 1/2 TimeMac

Offline kbeartx

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »
FWIW, I just recently [like, 2 months ago] got 'turned on to' Facebook, when my stepmother sent me an email telling me that practically my entire family had FB pages and suggested that I join them there.

Since then, I have reconnected with quite a few old buddies from college on FB as well.

I frequently learn more about what my kids are up to from FB than when I speak to them on the phone.

Kb cool.gif

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 07:58:43 PM »
QUOTE(kbeartx @ Nov 23 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I frequently learn more about what my kids are up to from FB than when I speak to them on the phone.

I've learned more about my cousins, and our niece, than ever before. Some of it I wish I'd never learned.  jawdrop.gif

I do like FB for keeping up with family and some friends. Especially since it allows them to share photos and such. Things they never did via email.

To each his or her own, I guess. wink.gif

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »
since it allows them to share photos and such. Things they never did via email.
Why not? It's even simpler in an email! Just drag and drop. dntknw.gif

I suspect that the only reason that people 'communicate' more in Facebook than in email is that (1) they have never realized how simple it is to create 'email groups' and (2) "Social Networking" sounds so much more techy than email. rolleyes.gif

Personally, I still find the interface of Facebook terribly confusing. It is even hard to tell if I'm on my page, the respondents page or somebody's 'wall'. Then, when I figure out how to be sure to get to my page/wall, everything looks different! Is there some kind of order to the different views/displays somewhere on Facebook?

I will say that the birthday notification feature is OK, but that could just as well be done in iCal or any other calendar app. And it will only work if you give/publish your birthday at Facebook. Just more information than I trust them to maintain/secure. And they've already proven that they can't do that nearly as well as they should.

Just call me grumpy! rofl.gif (Now you know, be gentle...!) I still say the technology we had before Facebook worked perfectly well for what most people use FB for. And without the stupid "give-me-more-info-or-let-us-make-it-public-and-we'll-let-you-play-some-silly-game" and also let you see more ads. wallbash.gif laughhard.gif

But if it gets families back together, great! clap.gif tiphat.gif

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Nov 23 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
since it allows them to share photos and such. Things they never did via email.
Why not? It's even simpler in an email! Just drag and drop. dntknw.gif

Your guess why not is as good as mine. I long ago gave up trying to help or teach them. I stopped sending 1-way emails - it was boring. wink.gif

Personally, I still find the interface of Facebook terribly confusing.

I agree it's confusing, especially since they "made it betterer".  rolleyes.gif

And, Grumpy, wink.gif you're doing better than me. I can't get the birthday thing to work. laugh.gif

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:21:06 PM »
And here's another reason to be wary of Facebook:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/20...e-benefits.html

I find it extraordinary that an insurance company would cancel someone's LTD over what was posted on that person's Facebook page - it has about as much medical weight as the guy in the corner store saying "gee...she looks fine to me"!! How on earth do they think they can justify this? Clinical depression doesn't mean you (a) can't go on vacation (b) can't go out at night ©can't celebrate a birthday. If her doctor confirms that she's still unable to work, I hope they restore her benefits.

Equally ridiculous is the person who posted in the comment section about not getting a job because her very small wedding (pics posted on Facebook) indicated that she was "incapable of planning a large event"...etc. What sort of nonsense is this?

The question I have is: why are these people letting people who aren't really "friends" see their pages anyway? There are privacy settings, and if you don't use them, you only have yourself to blame!
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »
Clinical depression doesn't mean you (a)...(b)... ©...
And I Çertainly hope it doesn't mean haste in typing! laughhard.gif Or subtle character puns? dntknw.gif

Personally, I think Paddy should have her own, public Facebook page! clap.gif tease.gif
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:36:10 AM by Xairbusdriver »

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »
QUOTE(Paddy @ Nov 23 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And here's another reason to be wary of Facebook:

I don't think one needs to be wary of FB, one just needs to be smart enough to set your things to private if that's what you want. Ever since Facebook and MySpace came to be, it's been known (at least by those with brains to read the news) that companies of all kinds do searches on these 2 sites (and others) -- and use what they find to their benefit. So having an open FB acct is nuts if you are concerned about anything. She should have been smart enough to set up privacy on everything (apparently her profile was private, but she failed to make her photo albums private).

If you don't want the world to know what you are up to, don't post stories, pictures, etc on the 'net. wink.gif

OH, and keeping a fairly low profile doesn't mean you might not get caught up as an innocent party. Thanks to Kris, I found that I'd been "outed" as a possible evil person (who goes by the same name - Kimmer) on another board. I had to join and tell them that I wasn't who they thought I was. Not all of them believed me, and I had folks hitting our web site and leaving me nasty grams for quite a bit before they got tired and left me alone.

Offline george

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 02:54:08 PM »
Jack W,
My sentiments exactly.
George

Offline kbeartx

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 06:37:16 PM »
AFAIK, Facebook pages are Private by default [that is, only very limited info is shown unless you explicitly designate someone as a Friend] - but since I am a new-ish user, perhaps this is a recent change...?

Kb cool.gif

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
No haste in typing - board software turns a "c" in brackets into a copyright sign. dry.gif

I do have a Facebook page, but there's not much on it - I don't bother posting most of the time. One of these days, perhaps. And no, it's NOT public!! I have gotten in touch with several friends I haven't seen in 30 years though - that's neat. smile.gif
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 09:04:09 PM »
board software turns a "c" in brackets into a copyright sign.
Well, you wouldn't make a good Captain, I'm afraid. nono.gif That's a pretty good story, but you were way late in coming up with it. Gotta' have an excuse ready within seconds... rofl.gif Even a F/O can come up with something in 12 hours! rolleyes.gif

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 10:21:11 PM »
QUOTE(kbeartx @ Nov 24 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AFAIK, Facebook pages are Private by default [that is, only very limited info is shown unless you explicitly designate someone as a Friend] - but since I am a new-ish user, perhaps this is a recent change...?

Your profile page setting is different from the privacy setting for your posts. Profiles are somewhat private, yes; but photos and other things are open to the world by default. I believe, and it's been a while since I joined and I've adjusted all my privacy settings so I can't look at the default settings, but check to see if your posts are viewable by friends, friends and friends of friends, or open to the world. FB tends to modify things on the QT. wink.gif

Offline jcarter

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jcarter.net/ourdogs/muffinpage.html
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 07:36:41 AM »
I had no intention of joining Facebook till our kids did, and a blogging class Im taking has instructions for Facebook, so I finally did.
Its been fun, as Ive connected with friends from our high school in Ft. Lauderdale and all over!  Its really OK, and Ive found some people who I haven't 'seen' for years.
So I guess its been a very nice experience for me, but I do keep it targeted to 'friends', and if someone wants to add a friend, they have to email you for permission.
I see a lot of companies are using it now also.
Its another time sink!  As is this blogging stuff too, but fun. The blogs are fun to use as travelogs, as you can upload your pictures on the fly, and its so very very quick. Family can take a look whenever they want for your new pictures. Ive 3 blogs.
Jane