Author Topic: Upgrading a Mac Pro is too convoluted  (Read 589 times)

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Upgrading a Mac Pro is too convoluted
« on: July 03, 2020, 09:34:20 AM »
In the past, upgrading a Mac Pro or G4 or G5 was a straightforward process. The new Mac Pro, however, makes adding internal storage very convoluted. Read  Mac Pro woes, 'iPhone 12' delays, and Apple's passport ambitions, on the AppleInsider podcast and watch the video. I have no need for a Mac Pro and I would have second thoughts about even buying one.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P700, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
Re: Upgrading a Mac Pro is too convoluted
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 12:16:13 PM »
Yeah - after saying I'd never buy a Mac I couldn't upgrade myself, I am on my second 27" iMac. Love it. Don't need the high end video editing abilities, and the 5K screen with the iMac is the equal of some very expensive standalone monitors. When I bought my first 27" iMac in 2014, I went through all the options and there was no question that buying an external monitor the equivalent of the iMac screen was, in many cases, going to cost me MORE than buying the iMac. And that was without the computer! It turned out to be a no-brainer. When the CPU on the 2014 failed in January, I got a new 27" with a nice 2TB SSD and boatloads of RAM. My photos are kept on external SSD drives anyway and I now have a RAID for backup. This setup should do me nicely for a long time to come - I doubt I'll ever get another Mac Pro. They really are now only meant for video production, IMHO.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13