Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Tech / Re: How to convert to APFS to be able to upgrade OS?
« Last post by jchuzi on Today at 12:04:27 PM »
Years ago, I switched from SuperDuper to Carbon Copy Cloner and have had no issues.
Community / Re: 2024 - My Shetland Blog
« Last post by Frances144 on Today at 11:31:57 AM »
« Last post by Xairbusdriver on Today at 10:56:26 AM »
OK, I think I finally understand the problem. It is not being unable to convert the computers volume to APFS. That was done when you updated to the OS, that was part of the install process whether you saw it or not.

The problem is with Super Duper and is known by that developer. I stopped using SD years ago and have no recent experience with it, so I'll leave the thread. :notworthy:
Tech / Re: revert to a previous version of Photoshop CC
« Last post by jchuzi on Today at 07:04:50 AM »
Obviously another slip up of the Adobe Quality Control division. :doh: :rofl:
The Adobe Quality Control Division left Adobe long ago to work for Boeing.  :blueeek:
Community / Re: Earthquake
« Last post by krissel on Today at 01:24:28 AM »
Hi Frances,

Not really, some people are now considering earthquake insurance but unless we get another big shake we probably will just hold our breath and muddle on. The state has supposedly checked all major bridges and declared them safe, ignoring our local loss.  :mad:  Will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to repair or replace the stone bridge. One benefit, our daily walks down that road are pretty traffic free.  :toothgrin:

As of this date, we now have over 120 aftershocks. Again, most minor and barely felt unless really close to the source. Seems as though they have now discovered a "Tewksbury fault" hitherto unknown.  :unsure:  Not how I hoped our town would get recognized on the map. :whistling:
« Last post by krissel on Today at 01:14:59 AM »

:thumbup: :clap:
« Last post by krissel on Today at 01:13:24 AM »
I'm not sure why SuperDuper says you have to convert the external to APFS other than this I found at the Shirt-Pocket website from Dave Nanian:

"Since the source is APFS, and there are features of APFS that cannot be replicated on HFS+, such as sparse files, it's wise to use the same format. It's not required, but, for example, a 2TB "sparse file" on the source that might only have 200K of data in it will take up 200K on the source and 2TB on the backup...and will be 2TB once restored, if you use HFS+."

That said, you may be able to keep the existing data as HFS+ and create a separate partition on the external that is APFS. This link explains with pictures how to do that (2nd choice).

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/harddrive-tips/convert-external-drive-to-apple-file-system-apfs-format.html

Some caveats: if your previous attempt to convert with SD failed, it may have corrupted the data presently on the EHD. You may have to erase the disk anyway and start from scratch. Not terrible if you only had a previous User Folder and nothing much else.
But once again, I recommend having more than one external bkup, one SSD with a complete clone, one for Time Machine or timed SD backups and one strictly for data that can be HFS+(OS extended) so it can be used with an older Mac OS if you have legacy machines.
Here is a thread at Shirt-Pocket that confirms my suggestion as well as another at Apple with similar thoughts:

https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34675#post34675

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253532971?sortBy=best

Hope this helps you get to your goal.  :)

« Last post by Raven on April 24, 2024, 10:58:27 PM »
Here are screen shots. I may not have explained my issue properly. My apologies. Hope this info helps. In order of the images...
1. Super Duper showing my EHD that I am tying to back up to.
2. SD message which started me trying to "convert".
3. Disk Utility window showing EHD
4. Edit Menu with all APFS text greyed out. Where's the "convert" option?
5. EHD Get Info. Format is "Mac OS Extended". Oops, won't load any more images.
Is this what I am trying to convert?
« Last post by Xairbusdriver on April 24, 2024, 01:49:41 PM »
Community / Re: 2024 - My Shetland Blog
« Last post by Frances144 on April 24, 2024, 11:05:40 AM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10