Author Topic: Best ad blocker  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
Best ad blocker
« on: January 13, 2024, 11:38:42 PM »
I’m tired of more facebook ads than posts from friends that I want to see. There are many AdBlockers in the App Store. Do they work? Which is the best? Is there a cost where you enter your credit card and then can’t stop auto renewals? I’d appreciate good advice! Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 05:17:57 PM by Raven »
27" iMac, 2017, 3.47 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1.03 TB HD,
OSX10.14.6 • 15" MacBookPro mid 2012, OSX10 .15.7 • Mac Mini OSX12.16.2 • iPhone 12

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Best ad blocker
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 07:58:16 AM »
I have Ad Block, AdBlock Engine, Ghostery Lite, and Disconnect. I have not paid for any of them and they seem to work well. Once in awhile, a site refuses to load so I have unchecked Ghostery Lite Content Blocker - Cosmetic Filters. Other than that, all seems to be OK.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 05:02:25 PM »
Thanks jchuzi.
Do you need that many?
OSX10.14.6 • 15" MacBookPro mid 2012, OSX10 .15.7 • Mac Mini OSX12.16.2 • iPhone 12

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 06:32:20 AM »
I probably don't need that many but (mostly) everything works well and the price is right!
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 12:27:05 PM »
For Facebook, I use the Arc browser. No ads and the pages look the best of any browser I've used.
-Bruce-

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 10:49:12 PM »
I downloaded an Ad Blocker app from the App store. Now what? How do I make it work for my facebook account?

Offline sluggo

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 08:24:06 AM »
Of course I've only used this on my Mac desktop. Not sure if there are versions for other devices. But the best I've found for Facebook is FB Purity. It's a free browser extension. I no longer see ads. And you can set it up to filter all kinds of stuff out.

Todd
________________________________________________________________________________

"Time loves to be wasted. From that waste there is no salvage." - Henry Ford

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 06:41:18 PM »
For Facebook, I use the Arc browser. No ads and the pages look the best of any browser I've used.
Same here. I like the Arc browser.

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 11:18:44 AM »
It's interesting that Arc is getting so little recognition. I still use Safari most of the time but Arc has some very promising features that could make it more popular if only it got more exposure.
-Bruce-

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 04:16:08 PM »
Just took a look at ARC. Might be fine for Desktop. Will not install on mobile devices however as the only search engine currently is Google. I've only used DuckDuckGo on all my devise for the last few years.

So far, I'm finding Apple is pretty fast with security updates for Safari. How does Arc match with Apple in that area? Apparently Arc is at version 1.28.x.

Well, that didn't get very far. First it wanted to import my passwords from Safari (or any other browser that might store them(!). I don't store any passwords in any browser, but I clicked the "Safari" button, anyway.

Second, it wants "Full Disk Access". That's pretty normal for any kind of utility. Apparently, one of the changes in Ventura is that "Files and Folders" is no longer a choice in Security & Privacy. In Ventura, it's 'all-or-nothing'. Without any experience with the Browser Company, I'll forego further access to their app(s). Thus I selected "Do this later".

Now I get to select my favorite apps. I assume a multi-colored, dot-matrix "F" is Faceslap? Obviously "X" is the app formerly known a Twot! I think there is an icon for MS Outlook. Why would I be using a MS app?! I doubt the little box with an "N" inside it is for Netscape! I have no idea what the other four icons are. By now I think the center icon is Arc's indicator for choosing some other "favorite" app. Possibly, but I may not have even got 2.5 out of 9! The red outlined box with the right-pointing arrow only turns on/off the red outline for the bod. Rhat icon does look like a YouTube icon. :Thinking: Guess I'll try the "Skip for now" link. I already keep all my favorite apps running pretty much any time the Mac is on, no need for another side-bar taking up screen real estate. :dntknw:

Fourth, it wants to import my bookmarks. This will be fast because I don't keep any bookmarks in any browser. That's what URLM Pro is for; all my 1.5MBs of bookmarks (plus the last 1,000 visited sites) always available in all my browsers. I will only switch to Arc (or any other browser) if it or URLM Pro is supported.

I don't think I'm in the targeted users. Oh well... :toothgrin: Of course, part of my problems may be related to my skipping many of the settings. :dntknw:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 05:21:19 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 05:58:25 PM »
Once I download the Ad blocker app, now how to make it work on my iMac or iPhone?

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 04:20:32 PM »
If you're talking about Ad Blocker for Arc, it doesn't require any, as far as I can tell.

I put a half dozen bookmarks in Arc to see how it works. Other than that, I've done nothing, not even lifted the hood, so to speak. I just like the way I can visit Facebook or Reddit and it's so clean, without ads.
-Bruce-