Author Topic: In honor of the new pic at the top. .  (Read 1948 times)

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://sonofabeach-beacher.blogspot.com/
In honor of the new pic at the top. .
« on: October 18, 2015, 02:12:55 PM »
I suppose that I could find out for myself, but here's a question that one of you guys might be able to answer for me:  I used to write a ton of letters in Appleworks, which is my main reason for still using the G5, but I thought I might like to have some of that correspondence on the MacBook, and wondered if any programs in Yosemite will open them.  T'anx in advance. .

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 04:13:38 PM »
I don't have an Apple Works document to test it on, but I have read that right (control)-clicking on one gives you a choice of "Pages" to open it. Not sure what version of Pages or what OS version that may have worked on. OTOH, it's an easy try... assuming you have some version of Pages, preferably an older one. dntknw.gif

<TextWrangler> can probably open them and you might then be able to delete everything except the text. Xcode (free from Apple)  should open it, also, but it might be more more difficult just to get a display that might have the text! wallbash.gif

Update: Just read that one person reports that LibreOffice can perform this trick. I think LibreOfiice has ceased development, however. And, again, I don't know which version might have been used.

Have you searched the web for on-line conversion sites? Seem to be hundreds, of all types! I'm looking for one that will convert dollar bills to twenties... laughhard.gif
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:25:05 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:12:28 PM »
Libre Office is still going - it's Open Office that has ceased development. Libre will even open MS docx documents, almost always properly formatted, so it seems a good candidate for opening Appleworks. Free download, so it will cost you nothing to try it.

It's now 11.20pm, so I'll be saying goodnight, folks smile.gif
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 05:14:01 PM by Highmac »
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 06:06:04 PM »
Libre Office is still going - it's Open Office that has ceased development.
I sit coreck Ted! wink.gif

Midnight there, now! Hope you don't have early morning plans!

[Corbett] "It's goodnight from me."
[Barker] "And it's goodnight from him."
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:07:32 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »
Thanks, guys; I'll give the suggestions a try in a couple of days when I've quit crying over yet another Seahawks loss!  
Groaner.gif  wallbash.gif  mad.gif  tears.gif  Ya know, I was much happier, at least once a week, a few years ago, before I became a fan. . .

Offline Jack W

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 07:39:48 AM »
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Oct 18 2015, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have an Apple Works document to test it on, but I have read that right (control)-clicking on one gives you a choice of "Pages" to open it. Not sure what version of Pages or what OS version that may have worked on. OTOH, it's an easy try... assuming you have some version of Pages, preferably an older one. dntknw.gif

<TextWrangler> can probably open them and you might then be able to delete everything except the text. Xcode (free from Apple)  should open it, also, but it might be more more difficult just to get a display that might have the text! wallbash.gif

Update: Just read that one person reports that LibreOffice can perform this trick. I think LibreOfiice has ceased development, however. And, again, I don't know which version might have been used.

Have you searched the web for on-line conversion sites? Seem to be hundreds, of all types! I'm looking for one that will convert dollar bills to twenties... laughhard.gif

LibreOffice is still being developed, I recently dl'd version 5.
Good to be Here.

My Macs: 2010 27" alum iMac 2.8GHz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Mavericks 10.9.5, 4GB SDRAM (Workhorse),
13” Late 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 10.6.8, 2GB SDRAM,
(2) External HD - Firewire/USB Macally Enclosures  with 1TB Hitachi Drives,
Time Machine external drive - ditto above - 1/2 TimeMac

Offline jcarter

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jcarter.net/ourdogs/muffinpage.html
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 02:24:45 PM »
I still have NeoOffice on an older Mac somewhere. I think you can still get that one?

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 08:06:29 PM »
Well, without downloading anymore programs to take up space on the MB, I found that TextEdit would open the Appleworks stuff, and that's just perfect!

Thanks for the help, guys!

Online jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 04:32:36 AM »
QUOTE(jcarter @ Oct 19 2015, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still have NeoOffice on an older Mac somewhere. I think you can still get that one?
It's available at the App Store.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365