Author Topic: Rapport Extensions  (Read 720 times)

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
Rapport Extensions
« on: November 25, 2021, 03:58:55 AM »
Two extensions that appear by default in my Safari preferences are Rapport Content and Rapport Extension. I am familiar with Rapport as I have a Pref Pane on my System Preferences called "Trusteer Endpoint Protection" which is by Rapport and came recommended by my bank. The 2 in Safari preferences are as shown in the screenshots. I would trust the "Content" one but not so sure about the "Extension" one. That one says at the bottom "Browsing History - Can see when you visit: . all websites" That part didn't fit into the screenshot
On permanent walk-about... ;)
MacBook Pro Retina, mid-2012, SSD 500GB, 16GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.6, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4.1

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
Re: Rapport Extensions
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 04:03:25 AM »
Be back to tell you more about those extensions later... have about 3 hours to sleep before taking the dog to the Vet. :)
It's turned out to be a bit more complicated than I hoped!
MacBook Pro Retina, mid-2012, SSD 500GB, 16GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.6, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4.1

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 04:04:48 AM »
Just to mention... the addon (also Rapport) that was in Firefox that I removed left a folder full of what appears to be console logs in the home Library>Application Support.

The only other thing which makes more sense that "splashing" every browser you have is a Pref Pane in my System Preferences which has all it's own settings and you can have an item in your menubar to show it's active. Will be having words with my bank! I'm not against security but overkill is just stupid!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 04:16:36 AM by Dreambird »

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 04:21:18 AM »
To remove the Safari Rapport extensions you can choose to "uninstall" them but you get a message that tells you they are part of the Rapportd App that you must remove and then you can choose to view them in Finder. That removes the "App" and the Safari extension but leaves behind all the other associated files:

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 04:30:17 AM »
I ended up doing a search for Rapport in EasyFind which will show one every-single-thing. There are 141 related files all over the computer...
In your home Library and in /Library and in /System/Library AND many files in invisible places so you really can't come anywhere close to completely removing it. Oh, you'll get rid of some by removing the app and extensions and the System Preferences Pref Pane but many more will be left behind.

There is no uninstaller that I can find and weeding out all those files manually goes into some "dangerous" areas.
I'm afraid a person is just stuck with all this junk all over the computer but if anyone has any ideas I'd be most greatful to hear them!  :)

Offline Dreambird

• TS Addict
  • Meet The New Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 08:52:38 PM »
Any ideas of what you might do? Leave the whole thing alone? Remove the Rapportd app as prompted by the "uninstall" in the Safari extensions and take out as much as possible that way? Definitely DO NOT enable the Safari extension... just leave them unchecked?

:dntknw: I'm open to any ideas!

I have found... uuhhmm "helpful" (NOT) sites like this: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/trusteer-rapport/1955?topic=rapport-uninstalling-mac-os

You follow the link that's supposed to bring you to the original .dmg file which is "supposed" to contain the uninstaller only to  :wallbash: right into another brick wall!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:54:28 PM by Dreambird »