Author Topic: Adventures in Netscape: Book IXX, Chap 36  (Read 2263 times)

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
Adventures in Netscape: Book IXX, Chap 36
« on: February 05, 2004, 11:29:07 AM »
Thanks to BruceF. bobw, Jen, Steve and others I did, in fact finally find the "buried" and concealed Profiles (+ Profile Manager) in NS 7.1 and Mozilla 1.6. I am really grateful to you all

Because I'd now like to move the very large Mail file across our LAN from my Pismo to my iMac, finding the guts of the profile was very significant.

I've now made an "archive" of the Default Profile file . . . interestingly it was far larger than the ones with the "logical" titles "Profile-Moz" and "Profile-NS" (the names I assigned when I established them).

They are now resting on my iMac DT.

Angst-ridden Query: Do you think a "simple" click-and-drag will work to get them set in the proper folder (now that I know where 'tis  rolleyes.gif ) or should I try something else . .  which doesn't seem obvious, at this point.

NS HELP, as before, is silent/clueless.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 11:31:10 AM by RHPConsult »

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 12:15:07 PM »
Presumably, if the profiles are working correctly on one computer, then "copying" them to the correct folder on another computer should work. Netscape will either recognize them or not, so you're not out much by trying.

I don't recall if Netscape has any "import profile" features.
-Bruce-

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 01:31:02 PM »
Using the tried and (sometimes) true technique  of firmly embracing the male bovine by his cranial adornment(s), I did decide just to click-and-drag the identifiable MAIL Folder only from inside that strange - - imported from the Pismo - - Default Profile and stash it in one of the existing iMac/NS profile folders. It w-o-r-k-e-d.

Replacement-therapy worked!

Thus far . . .

It does not seem that attempting importing a complete titled profile would have been succcessful . . .Pismo >>> iMac . . . since the former had that "unique" Default, while the latter did not. I have no idea why they were different, but it appears all the goodies are in the "Default". To add to the curiosities of this entire process, the Default must be an invisible file, since it does not appear in the Profile Manager Folder.

Besides, "Importing", itself, iis no longer a listed option, except from specified apps, which did not include NS 7.1 or Mozilla elsewhere on our LAN. The "Wizard" 'twarn't so wise.

No smoke has yet arisen from the keyboard!

whew.gif

FWIW!

How do I get involved in these mazes?????

Thinking.gif  Thinking.gif

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 03:00:15 PM »
QUOTE(RHPConsult @ Feb 5 2004, 12:31 PM)
...the Default must be an invisible file, since it does not appear in the Profile Manager Folder.

Nope... it's not invisible. It lives inside the Library> Mozilla> Profiles folder.

If my memory serves me correctly, it's NOT to be messed with. Unless, of course, you like re-installing software!  wink.gif  biggrin.gif
-Bruce-

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 12:52:34 AM »
By "invisible" I meant that it does not appear in Profile Manager, which one can call up on the DT, for assignment to either NS 7.1 or Mozilla 1.6. That was the first surprise.

The second suprise is that its "guts", not to put too fine a point on it, lie 2-3 levels below the named Default Profile folder. Uh oh!

I studied "them" on 3 Macs before deciding that it was worth the chance to Archive/Zip it. That worked like a charm . . . among other things reducing its 684+ MB size to <350MB

I told you I had a lot of filed mail I wanted moved to the new iMac!   B)

Archive/ZIp, as Harv first pointed out to me last week, is a really neat new Panther function adding significantly to its armamentarium, much as does  being able to make a pdf file through the Print Window.

Thus far, the "old" Mozillla default file from the Pismo appears to be resting comfortably in the iMac's Mozillla folder - - albeit in the sub-sub-sub basement - - just sailing along without incident. clap.gif  

Not to mix too may metaphors  laugh.gif

Oh, yes. I've got my fingers crossed.  thumbup.gif

At this point, this thread has a happy ending.

Offline DaveF

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 04:54:20 PM »
RHP,
I've been following your several trials and tribulations with interest.  I was with you step by step right up to "armamentarium".    huh.gif  clap.gif  wacko.gif  whistling.gif    (I read that with mixed emotions.)  I went to Penn State and Michigan but never learned any of those Ohio State words.  

You shouldn't worry; anyone that can use that word correctly is a whole lot smarter than those Macs you are sparring with.  thumbup.gif
Dave

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 10:56:48 PM »
DaveF:

Out of respect to you (and your parents  laugh.gif ) I shall reveal a  reluctance and refrain from any rousing rendition of "We Don't Give a Damn for the Whole State of Michigan" especially given the results of the contest on the 3d Saturday of November, involving a prolate spheroid and two gallant bands of lads cavorting on the greenward of Ann Arbor.

Devilish2.gif

Offline DaveF

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 11:14:35 AM »
Touché   clap.gifclap.gif

You know how to turn a phrase, and I so enjoy reading your posts.  Almost a lost art.  

Best to you,
Dave
Dave