Author Topic: >>CarbonLib<<  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Jack W

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
>>CarbonLib<<
« on: November 05, 2003, 06:36:55 PM »
All of a sudden, when I try to run AppleScript by double clicking on an applescript file, I get the warning box with the "stop hand" and message:

The application "Script Editor" could not be
opened because ">>CarbonLib<<" could not start up.   huh.gif   mad.gif

I went to the Apple site and downloaded   CarbonLib 1.6.smi   and re-installed CarbonLib.

But I STILL get the message. verysad.gif

I am running OS 9.2.2 on a 933 G4. I also have OS X 10.2.6 on the Macintosh HD. My AppleScripts were working fine the last time I used them a couple of weeks ago.

sad.gif

Anybody have a suggestion???

-Jack
Good to be Here.

My Macs: 2010 27" alum iMac 2.8GHz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Mavericks 10.9.5, 4GB SDRAM (Workhorse),
13” Late 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 10.6.8, 2GB SDRAM,
(2) External HD - Firewire/USB Macally Enclosures  with 1TB Hitachi Drives,
Time Machine external drive - ditto above - 1/2 TimeMac

Offline cdub1988

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
>>CarbonLib<<
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 10:41:20 PM »
Jack W -

Do you get this message ONLY with Script Editor?

If so, have you removed the AppleScript pref from the System Folder, closed Script Editor and then re-launched the app?

Have you verified that the CarbonLib extension is actually loading up in the Extensions Manager and that the correct version is there?

Have you installed anything recently (H/W or S/W)?

Might try starting there.

HTH,

Take care.

Chris
Umm, I'm a nerd.

Offline Jack W

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
>>CarbonLib<<
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 09:33:16 AM »
Hi Chris,

The correct version of CarbonLib was in the original Extensions, and the same after re-installing CarbonLib. I tried your suggestion of removing Applescript Prefs and restarting, but still got the same error message.

"The application "Script Editor" could not be
opened because ">>CarbonLib<<" could not start up. "

I had also booted from my CCC copy of the system disk, and also got the error message when double-clicking on the saved Applescript.

However, further tedting – I started up Applecript application, and was then able to Open the Applescript from there successfully, edit it and save it.

I have my Applescripts and most of my data files stored on a separate partition from Macintosh HD for backup purposes. I tried duplicating the files to a separate partition, and still get the same error when double-clicking the Applescript.

This is  a real puzzle to me!  huh.gif  huh.gif  huh.gif

- Jack
Good to be Here.

My Macs: 2010 27" alum iMac 2.8GHz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Mavericks 10.9.5, 4GB SDRAM (Workhorse),

Offline tacit

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xeromag.com/
>>CarbonLib<<
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 05:17:50 PM »
QUOTE(Jack W @ Nov 6 2003, 12:36 AM)
All of a sudden, when I try to run AppleScript by double clicking on an applescript file, I get the warning box with the "stop hand" and message:

The application "Script Editor" could not be
opened because ">>CarbonLib<<" could not start up.

You are getting that message because you are double-clicking on the AppleScript and you have OS X installed on that computer.

When you double-click on an AppleScript, it is trying to run the OS X version of the Script Editor. The OS X version of the Script Editor can not run in OS 9. The "CarbonLib could not start up" message is spurious; the OS X version of CarbonLib is not the same as the OS 9 version.
A whole lot about me: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Offline Jack W

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
>>CarbonLib<<
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 08:27:00 AM »
This was working fine before. I was able to switch back and forth between OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.2.6, and edit the Applescripts with no problem.

And, yes I am well aware that the two versions of Applescript are different. That sure gave me some fits when I was converting my backup and cleanup scripts from 9.2.2 to 10.2.6.

Why would OS 9 try to use OS X Applescript? How do I undo it? I've tried starting OS 9 Applescript. Then when I double click on the Applescript compiled script, it comes up fine. But, just as soon as I quit Applescript, the bug re-appears.
 Thinking.gif
-Jack
Good to be Here.

Offline tacit

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xeromag.com/
>>CarbonLib<<
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 12:34:00 AM »
QUOTE(Jack W @ Nov 7 2003, 2:27 PM)
Why would OS 9 try to use OS X Applescript? How do I undo it?

Undoing this is not easy.

OS 9 is trying to start up OS X AppleScript because the OS X script editor has the same Type and Creator codes as the OS 9 script editor.

When you double-click on a document, the computer searches for an application with the same creator code. It then launches the first application it finds. It searches the volume that the document is on, then it searches the boot volume, then it searches other mounted volumes until it finds a matching application.

If you have two applications with the same creator code, whichever one was installed on the computer most recently will be the one that launches.

The best solution is: Get out of the habit of double-clicking on things. It's a bad habit. Instead, drag the document to an alias of the application you want to use.

If you must double-click, then what you need to do is delete both copies of the script editor, then rebuild your Desktop (very important! Otherwise all is for nothing), then install the OS X script editor, then install the OS 9 script editor.
A whole lot about me: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html