Author Topic: Tiger to Leopard  (Read 9771 times)

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 02:45:14 AM »
Stationery? As in fancy stuff? Like incredimail from he**? wink.gif

See, I have my email set to plain text, I never see the fancy stuff folks send. I refuse.

Like I said I'm sooo stubborn. yes.gif
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:48:14 AM by kimmer »

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 05:37:44 AM »
Having just put a Leopard install on my old G4, I've been surprised at how many of the Tiger apps are running just fine on the new cat, that is most of them.  The only important app I couldn't get to run was Photoshop 7.  I was really bummed about that and grumbling about having to buy an upgrade, then I remembered that there was a CS version on a used iMac I had purchased off eBay last year to give to my sister's kids.  Of course I had made a copy of the software on an external so.... I copied over the CS folder and looked for any support files.

Much to my surprise it started up and works just fine. ImageReady does too.  Hallelujah !  clap.gif

What thrilled me even more was finding several of the contextual menus items I really use a lot also worked even though they were made in 2004 and only verified for Panther.  Oh, happy day.  smile.gif

Only problem is Leopard is a memory hog.  I can only put 1.5 G of Ram in this old girl and running the basic apps I usually have going takes up 2/3 of that.  Poo.  Guess I may end up relying on VM when I do use Photoshop.

Oh, well, can't have everything now, can we?  wink.gif
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:39:14 AM by krissel »

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 02:37:15 PM »
I have my email set to plain text, I never see the fancy stuff folks send.
I do the same thing but I think it only helps my recipients. I am getting tired of using the View->Message->Best Alternative to see what all the text is about. rolleyes.gif Like it or not, the vast majority of users are now using html email. And it does offer some nicer and more distinct ways of highlighting specific words/phrases. dntknw.gif Just like this forum software...

And I know what you mean about IncrediblybadMail. But I don't think the templates in Mail are quite that bad, Apple is not known for its bad taste/design. smile.gif I think even Eudora had template capabilities, also. Thinking.gif
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:41:03 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 03:12:43 PM »
Is it fair to say that html gives one (the writer) more tools with which to add "nuance" (and we ALL know how important that is) to the thoughts expressed in text (for the reader), as opposed to iChatting/iSighting, in hopes of reducing misunderstanding, enhancing meaning, embellishing the context, jazzing-up the message . . . all that great stuff.

Well beyond even the most elegant smilies . . . or even the greatest similes.

Just asking.  rolleyes.gif
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:19:24 PM by RHPConsult »

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 04:05:31 PM »
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Nov 26 2008, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have my email set to plain text, I never see the fancy stuff folks send.
Like it or not, the vast majority of users are now using html email. And it does offer some nicer and more distinct ways of highlighting specific words/phrases. dntknw.gif Just like this forum software...

But reading at a forum doesn't require me to DOWNLOAD junk just to view a message - normally. I see a vast difference between visiting a forum with a browser, where I get to set my own skin and view graphics, etc; and receiving a 60K message from someone telling me their latest news, when a simple plain text 4K message would have done the same thing. Enough of those bloated emails and your email box is filled up. I had probs while we were on the road because I wasn't downloading mail on the laptop, I was viewing it online. I finally had to copy/paste some things into a text file and then delete the emails. At least when we got home I had the info I needed. I'm sorry, I just don't see the point of fancy junk mail. Not even from a pal. wink.gif

And so folks understand, IncrediblybadMail was/is known to be malware/spamware and it inserted junk in their fancy stationery that spied on the recipient, etc. I doubt that Apple's Mail is filled with that stuff.

I think even Eudora had template capabilities, also. Thinking.gif

Not that I've stumbled into, and it's not like I could find a help file these days. biggrin.gif

Is it fair to say that html gives one (the writer) more tools with which to add "nuance"

It certainly allows the writer to be a nuanced nuisance. LOL.gif

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 09:55:31 PM »
Howsome ever, bold or italicized text does allow for a little more 'nuancing' than _certian_ other *basic* ASCII characters. OTOH, I agree with you that most graphics are un-needed. Especially the simple flowery backgrounds that just make it harder to see, much read, the text!! :-/

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 10:30:08 PM »
QUOTE(RHPConsult @ Nov 26 2008, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it fair to say that html gives one (the writer) more tools with which to add "nuance" (and we ALL know how important that is) to the thoughts expressed in text (for the reader), as opposed to iChatting/iSighting, in hopes of reducing misunderstanding, enhancing meaning, embellishing the context, jazzing-up the message . . . all that great stuff.

Well beyond even the most elegant smilies . . . or even the greatest similes.

Just asking.

True. The problem with HTML email downloading is that it contains images which are not usually sent with the text. Instead, As I understand it, the image is sent when the message is actually displayed as HTML. At that point, your email programs HTML interpreter 'sees' the HTML tag calling for an image. That results in a request being sent to where ever that image is stored and it is sent back for display. Now, as tacit has graciuosly pointed out, that image could be nothing more than a 1 pixel by 1 pixel, transparent gif. The sole purpose of the image is to get a response from your computer that will tell the SPAMmer that yuors is a valid address that might be worth trying to compremise. Especially since it appears that you will open almost any message! smile.gif

Sometimes the graphic is simply a nusance, sometimes it may be a carrier of malware, so far, only for Windows types. But why tempt fate and advertise your address?! eek2.gif Just to see a Flash movie? I don't think so... biggrin.gif

On the positive side, newer email programs will allow the user to see all the 'styling' of HTML but allow the image tag to perform it's 'magic!' clap.gif

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 12:35:57 AM »
I really wish I understood all of this colloquium. You lost me back at about "plain text" and Incredimail, er sumthin'

I only know that I enjoy putting some l-i-f-e into written words beyond fonts-on-a-monitor, much as "real" smile, a raised brow, or a frown embellishes oral speech with meaning, well beyond grunts, growls and whines.

I know I enjoy pilfering smilies for use in my e-mails, and I find the "stationery" in Leopard's Mail delightful. How neat to be able to dispatch-a-sticky – a yellow one, to boot – for a very brief, attention-grabbing reminder to a friend. Or to be surprised by a pastel "thank you" when you least expect one.

I gave up being thrilled by block letters (in crayon) on lined paper when my youngest grandchild wrote proudly in cursive

NOT a nuisance, IMNSHO

Editorial query: Why have I been getting 2 notices of additions to this thread, each with identical time stamps?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:41:09 AM by RHPConsult »

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Tiger to Leopard
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 03:46:55 AM »
RHP, if you like it and your recipients like it ... then it's all good. smile.gif

By the way, I still enjoy playing with crayons. biggrin.gif
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 03:47:15 AM by kimmer »