Author Topic: Would like opinions  (Read 2192 times)

Offline iGuy

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
Would like opinions
« on: November 19, 2009, 05:45:39 PM »
I've got a white 17" 1.83 GHz Intel iMac boxed up in a closet.  It was struck by lightning last year.  I had it looked at by an authorized Mac dealer and at the time told me the logic board was toast. The estimate for repair was somewhere around $800 including labor.  Well, since then I have found one online at MacPro.  As I made this post I took the time to check the shipping cost and it came up $102!!!  Is this a joke???

The original purpose of this post was to get opinions on if I should take a chance and replace the logic board and hope it fixes it.  I would be worried that after replacing the logic board something else would be discovered wrong with it.  I would love to sell the computer to my parents for what ever repair cost would be.  Hopefully around $500.  They need to upgrade there computer badly but don't want to break the bank.  I realize Mac Minis are going for $600.  I have an old CRT monitor, mouse and keyboard they could have.  Maybe that would be a better route.

Edit: The above link to MacPro is to a replacement logic board.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:07:10 PM by iGuy »

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Would like opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 06:11:26 PM »
Well, you asked for opinions! So here's my $ 0.00492.

I think the iMac is a risky investment for repair. I'd sell it to almost anyone who would buy it and also pay the shipping. I'd suggest FedEx Ground (since I used to work for FedEx). they will still get it there in a few days and it shouldn't cost anywhere near $100! That sounds more like overnight! UPS might even be a little cheaper. dntknw.gif

If your extra monitor is fairly high quality and can use the resolutions* available from the mini, that really sounds like a good choice. I'd still look at an Apple refurb^, however.

* Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display
* VGA output using Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter (sold separately) $20 from Apple
^ None listed at this time
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Would like opinions
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 07:52:01 AM »
Since the mini would be only a little more than replacing the logic board that would be my vote. It will have all the latest software as a bonus.  You really don't know how badly the iMac is fried and working on one of those is no piece of cake.

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline iGuy

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Would like opinions
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:16:03 PM »
I agree the mini would be the safest bet.  As for working on the iMac, I did open it, with instructions found on the internet, and took out the hard drive.  Wasn't too bad.  Although, I have never replaced a logic board.

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
Would like opinions
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »
Do you know if the power supply is ok? That's another component that could well be fried.

There are people who will buy iMacs/iMac bits and pieces on eBay. You should check to see what sort of things have sold lately and for what sort of price. Who knows, you might be able to get at least some money for it. Trying to fix it could be a risky proposition.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline iGuy

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Would like opinions
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »
Good idea, Paddy.  After the lightning strike, if I remember right, the computer would still power on but the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work.  I think the usb ports are part of the logic board, correct? I remember the log in screen coming up on screen but I couldn't type.