Author Topic: How Do I Program My Mouse Buttons  (Read 2768 times)

Offline amk285nyu

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
How Do I Program My Mouse Buttons
« on: November 10, 2003, 03:21:10 PM »
Belkin Optical USB Mouse
I own this mouse. The auto-scroller works by default to scroll up and down in Safari- I didn't have to program that. But there are also the two buttons on the left and right sides. I use these in games, but one of my friends told me I could program buttons like these on mostly any mouse so that with a single click, I would go back or forward a page in my web browser. That would be really nifty, because then I wouldn't be missing the "motion-gesturing" feature from the PC version of Opera.

Does anyone know how to do this? It is certain that my mouse has this ability? I can't find the manual (I think I threw it away), but Belkin's posted them online. Oddly, there's a different user manual for each platform: Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95; but no OS X, which is what I'm on, yet my mouse still operates. I'm not sure which manual to refer to.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 03:27:34 PM by amk285nyu »

Offline Mayo

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 03:46:01 PM »
Did you install a driver for your mouse?  In the case of Kensington meese you have to install a driver that allows for programming the mouse buttons.  If such a driver is installed on your computer it should appear under System Preferences-Other.

Offline amk285nyu

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 04:49:57 PM »
Dang. I thought that would be the hitch. The website has drivers for the mouse, but they're alll only windows supported, which means I can't program the mouse with OS X.

Thanks for the info. It will come in handy when I get a new mouse that's OS X supported. A PC-using friend bought me this one, so I can't complain about the price.

Offline pendragon

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pendragonservices.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 05:04:49 PM »
Perhaps you could use the highly rated shareware: USB Overdrive 10.3 (Panther compliant). Cost $20.00
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo...fo/macosx/13443

Product Description:
The USB Overdrive is a universal USB driver that handles all USB mice and trackballs from any manufacturer and lets you configure them either globally or on an application-specific basis. It reads all kinds of wheels, buttons, switches and controls and supports scrolling, keyboard emulation, launching and complex actions as well as all the usual stuff like clicking, control-clicking and so forth. The USB Overdrive can easily handle several USB devices at once.

Still, it may be wise to get a real Mac mouse. Some products are available for about the same price or a bit more. You might also drop a hint to Santa. tongue.gif

Harv
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 05:07:47 PM by pendragon »
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~ Voltaire

Offline bil207

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 05:11:31 PM »
With USB Overdrive you can program the mouse buttons to enable your browser to go forward and back with one click.  smile.gif
Bill

Offline Mayo

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 05:50:21 PM »
Whew! $20 seems a tad steep...But as far as I can tell Kensington MouseWorks software does not have a setting for programming mouse buttons for forward/backward in a web browser, so I'm a little tempted to give it a try.  I do a lot of web surfing and having to go up to the back/forward arrows is a drag...

Offline pendragon

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pendragonservices.com
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 06:26:45 PM »
Mayo, FWIIW:  I was able to program my Kensington (MouseWorks) 2 button trackball to go backwards and forwards in Safari. Just open the MouseWorks preferences, select the Buttons tab and then in the button options, select "Keystrokes," and then click on the applicable key combination.

BTW, It helps to have more than 2 buttons... wink.gif

Harv
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~ Voltaire

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 08:52:24 PM »
QUOTE(pendragon @ Nov 10 2003, 7:26 PM)
BTW, It helps to have more than 2 buttons... wink.gif

Amen, if you buy a new mouse go for at least 5.   wink.gif

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Bill

• TS Addict