Author Topic: Snow Leopard - glitches, updates and other essential info  (Read 10886 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Snow Leopard - glitches, updates and other essential info
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »
The Apple Mail "won't send" issue was resolved with the upgrade to 10.6.1
So I'd read. Unfortunately, it didn't for many. I'm downloading now but will wait until after lunch to try a new install. With my luck I will get a "You already have this update stupid!" response! laughhard.gif

Well, I can't say much for "lunch," a bag of Orville Redenbacher microwave...and some Dr. Pepper to wash it down. But it must have done something for me, as the download and REapplication of 10.6.1 went without a hitch and Mail even works now! clap.gif Not on my iPhone, but I'm syncing that stuff as I write. We'll see how things go. I've got some work to do...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion/reminder, sandbox! salute.gif notworthy.gif

OTOH...

Left the Mac alone for a couple of hours and found that Mail was running but without a window showing. I must have closed the window instead of quitting. I can't remember when the last time was that I did that, but there it was...
So, I open a new Viewer window and it's about half the size I normally use. Plus, it's down in the lower left-hand corner of the screen! I never remember ever putting it there. And certainly not in such a small window! rant.gif

I read my mail and decide to forward one. Get it all edited down and then notice the Send button is not active! What?! I thought this thing was fixed!

Sure enough, the smtp server was now set as None! Not conducive to fast sending, IMHO. I was finally able to get the correct passwords back into the server settings and Connection Doctor claims all connections are good (Three green buttons) and I can send messages from both my addys. Of course, they still go through the Comcast smtp server, but it's working, at least for now.

I'm thinking of closing the doors to this room to keep the cat out tonight... Thinking.gif
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:09:21 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline sandbox

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
My Snowy Leopard is a Pretty Kitty all the neighborhood cats will want to get into her fur.

intoherfur, a new word puuuuurhaps?

I need to figure out why iGlasses has no apparent application, no access in iChat's drop-menu and continues to pop open at ...what appears to be a control panel for preferences on the desktop when Firefox opens. I can't find the application anywhere in finder, it just disappeared, but comes and goes with firefox. It like a control window for Word or the inspector in GoLive. but the only active access on the box is a Red dot to close it, the camera doesn't work the arrow to open the preference box is whited-out.....and when I turn iChat on the Box disappears.

This thing is whacked.

Offline sandbox

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 05:12:43 AM »
iGlasses: The current version of iGlasses will not load into certain applications such as Snow Leopard's iChat 5 or Photo Booth. We will have a new version of iGlasses available shortly to fix this problem.

http://www.ecamm.com/snowleopard/index.html

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 12:15:59 AM »
Son #1 installed SL the other day and called me while I was out to wail that "everything" was screwed up!! Well, everything mean World of Warcraft, which had slowed to a crawl. That issue was solved with a visit to the WoW forums and deleting some cache files.

Then Word refused to open, just stalled at "optimizing fonts" - more wailing. And Safari looked funny. More wailing.

Turns out both of those issues were caused by duplicate and some ttf fonts that the snowy one just doesn't like (or Word+Snow Leopard doesn't like). I had to validate the fonts in Font Book about 5 times - each time it would turn up anywhere from 2-5 fonts that it didn't like, I'd remove them and run it again. (Resolve duplicates didn't do anything, BTW - they just sat there...hand removal was the only thing that worked) Finally it was happy. Restarted and bye-bye Word and Safari problems.

Now he's complaining that Safari is slow - so he's using Firefox. I told him to repair permissions, delete his Safari cache etc. At 17, he can start to do some of his own darn trouble-shooting!!

Anyway, if there is a lesson to be learned in all of this, it's that Snow Leopard is extremely fussy about fonts. I'm pretty sure it will not like some of my rather excessive collection, so I'll try to do some housecleaning before I attempt anything. But that all will have to wait a few weeks yet - still too busy with crucial projects and house projects. tongue.gif
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 10:11:38 PM »
Mail is now working exactly as it should. For the last 40+ hours. Re-applying the manually downloaded, 10.6.1 updater seemed to smooth everything out. And I also discovered that I could now do without the Comcast smtp server for all sending except my Comcast addy, which I have only because it came with the package.

Latest travails is the discovery that the CD printing program for the CD capable Epson 1400 won't run. Installed Rosetta, but that didn't help. Decided to go back and boot from the external 10.5 drive only to discover that it was now also a Snow Leopard flavor. That is probably because SuperDuper made it bootable after the first SL backup?

I can't even remember how I got 10.5 reinstalled, things were happening too fast without enough time and a deadline fast approaching. That's when I do my best work, of course! laughhard.gif I think it was the Archive method... Anyway, with that done, all I have to do is upgrade it back to the latest version. Downloaded the updater, opened the Installer and was promptly advised that it would not run on my hardware! WHAT? Who says?! rant.gif

It was just after this that I discovered that in my haste, I had downloaded the Server updater! wallbash.gif Oh well, have the two updaters needed to complete the job, tomorrow! To get to 10.5.8 one must start at .6 or .7. To get to .6 one needs another updater...I think I smell the cable modem smoking! smile.gif

Personally, I found Safari a good deal faster, the Finder much more responsive and the startups (too many!) have been faster, also. Don't have/play WoW or Word, so that's been no problem.

The new file opening assignment has been tolerable, so far. Double-clicked an .xml file earlier today and it opened in BBEdit as desired. Opened an almost exact duplicate of that first one (both saved within minutes of each other yesterday, BTW) and it started up Numbers! I may have to set the OS straight on that file type..."XML" is not the same as "Excel." rolleyes.gif

Offline sandbox

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 07:43:43 AM »
When I boot to my Lacie drive that contains Snow Leopard I'm confronted with a User Name and Password Box. It doesn't seem to matter if I unlock the drive or not, the next time I boot there it is. Security.....maybe?

Although I've use my printers I haven't tried to create a PDF from the printer box, which has gotten me to suspect that I may not be examining these application with enough detail and may discover when I need these options, that they are no longer available. I do use the PDF option often and I do have Acrobat pro..or whatever...but now I'm suspicious of my own software inspections and find comfort in the fact that i did not just load it into the main drive and take a ride on Calamity...my new cats name. wink.gif

Offline Shades of Gray

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://exegete77.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 11:45:03 AM »
Printer problems now solved, and Adobe Acrobat Pro work around makes it usable.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog very long.
Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »
I boot to my Lacie drive that contains Snow Leopard I'm confronted with a User Name and Password Box.
Isn't that normal when you have not set it to boot automatically into a specific users account? And although many of us do that, it obviously means anyone with physical access to the box can log in as us! And even worse, if "us" is an Admin... eek2.gif That setting should be in your "Accounts" pref panel.

As for creating a PDF, I didn't know that any app that used Apple's Printing APIs could not use them to create a PDF. dntknw.gif I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is that you are 'suspicious' of.

Shades of Grey, that's great, but for the benefit of the rest of us, as well as future readers, how about elucidating a little about what or how the print problems were corrected. Was it from suggestions made here? Which one(s)? From some other site/person? What was done to actually fix the problem? Inquiring minds, ya know... wink.gif

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 05:24:06 PM »
After waiting for Epson to get its severs operating, somewhat, anyway, I managed to download their new EPS 1400 software. There were two choices, both ended up crashing Safari, at least once...rolleyes.gif And not much praise can be offered to their updaters except that they fixed stuff. When one clicks the last "Quit" button in the visible installer, a hidden app starts the actual expanding and possible placement of the files leaving the user to wonder about the spinning beachball and the inability to operate the computer! When all the trashing around is complete, Epson finally says, "Oh. BTW, all that stuff in the Installer is really in place now. hanks for your patience and monies! Sucker!" OK, that last word doesn't show up, but by then, one gets the implication... laughhard.gif At least they had the updaters! Even if they still look like bad ports from Windows...

Anyway, both printers are working fine now. Just a matter of updating the Epson files. The Brother never had a problem. And scanning from within Elements works great!

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 09:52:06 PM »
I downloaded the Brother drivers, anyway (after archiving every thing with that label). I never knew about the Image Capture feature, new in Snow Leopard, of using it to operate a scanner. So, the upgraded drivers may not have had anything to do with it, but being able to scan without using the ReadIRIS 'app' is great! And you have access to all the scanner's capabilities and the ability to have the setting saved! What a concept! 8)

Now, get this! You can ask the scanner (software) to not only scan, but to detect individual items! I threw in the two Dilbert calendar pages I posted in another thread and it not only detected the two pages, it separately opened each of the four panels in separate PS Elements pages! And, of course, two separate Day/Date sections. Eight separate images in all, with one little check box!

Not only did I get a new, faster, leaner, more stable OS, I got a brand new, more capable and usable scanner for only $29! Actually, I bought the Family Pack, but still...

Here's a screen shot via SnapzProX (recently upgraded to take advantage of the 64bit capabilities of SL, BTW):
[attachment=1595:Image_Ca..._scaning.jpg]

Note the eight separate images detected. Actually, in this capture, I clicked into the white space to deselect all of them and then clicked on one to reselect it and used the 'angle/rotate' handle to show how that can be done, even before the scan. Had nothing like that with the original Image Capture nor Brother software. The scan resolution seems limited to 600 dpi, the Brother sw allows 1200, but I still don't know if ReadIris will even run in SL! rolleyes.gif

You'll also notice the color control sliders and a 'histogram' of the detected color values and spread. Yeah, I know, it ain't no CS6, but it came with the OS and updated print drivers. I think I've already got my moneys worth! thumbup.gif clap.gif

Maybe we need to start a "What I like about Snow Leopard" thread! yes.gif

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 10:46:55 PM »
cool.gif I didn't know about the scanning capabilities - if it's been reported on, I've missed it.

One of these days, I'll find the time to get the snowy one installed. tongue.gif
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline sandbox

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 09:30:18 AM »
Isn't that normal when you have not set it to boot automatically into a specific users account? And although many of us do that, it obviously means anyone with physical access to the box can log in as us! And even worse, if "us" is an Admin... eek2.gif That setting should be in your "Accounts" pref panel.

The only drive that requires me to register is Calamity Kitty, there is only one partition, unless the new GUID Partition has something to do with it I'm at a loss…so far…but…it's not a deal breaker, it's a test drive. Broom, brooom

I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is that you are 'suspicious' of.

Take a look at all the issue that million of people are addressing and think about not just playing with computers, but running a nonstop operation and being responsible for the well being of many people and you may get suspicious just from the thought of it. In Airplane speak, your flying through the air with the greatest of ease and someone gives you a New programs while your cruising through the clouds and on the radio you hear that most pilots who have been through the same experience found something that didn't work or worked differently or required you to call Upside-down airport because all your passengers are stuck to the ceiling and the plane's wings think they're chicken parts while the tail grows feathers and the clouds make pillows and you fall off into sleep mode and can't wake up from a dream about being a flying fish on someone's dish and they're just about to suck the brains out of your skull when someone yells, download an upgrade and reboot if you want to get out of jail and send me mail….as the plane descends and you get the bends wondering if you supply of #10 cans will bail you out of the fubar.

But….
If you added the program to the airplane in your pocket you may only get a tickle.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 11:59:35 AM »
I don't remember seeing anything about the scanning capabilities mentioned either. I failed to put a link here, I thought I had, but it may be in another post. At any rate, the capabilities are there and I suspect they make use of some of the OSs Core technologies as well as any driver capabilities the scanner company may provide.

The only drive that requires me to register is Calamity Kitty, there is only one partition
OK, but you are booting from this drive, correct? Any new boot loads the new system and its setting apply. If you didn't ask to be logged in automatically, it will always ask for your name/password. At least that's what I thought the whole point of the log in screen was. dntknw.gif Even changing users will request a password (the name being already selected by the request to change). Perhaps I just don't understand the problem. Wouldn't be the first tyme! Today, even! blush-anim-cl.gif

"Suspicious" seems to be another way of saying 'reliability is critical.' Obviously, changing an OS in any critical environment must be done carefully, with escape and backed up data and always with caution. But I wasn't aware that this is what we've been talking about here. Certainly upgrading our family computer is important and still needs to be done with caution and the understanding that things may not work exactly as they had and that some of the dozens of apps most people use will also need updating. I would hope that most businesses would not be running nearly the number, much less the variety, of apps many of us have on our personal Macs.

So, I now better understand what you are "suspicious" about, I would simply have used a different term. And in no way would I recommend anyone update/upgrade something as critical as the OS without doing a good deal of due diligence.

And that's the main reason I didn't worry that much about a new app/program/computer/etc in any aircraft I flew. First of all, it wasn't me inserting/writing the code. Second, I don't think most people realize how long and arduous the testing programs are for this kind of thing. Not only does the company have to test it, they have to then prove to the Feds that it will do what it should and fail in the way they say. Then, they have to convince the airline company to use the new thing since it will hardly ever be a "free" upgrade! And if this thing is something from a subcontractor for the aircraft, the airframe maker will also have to be convinced of its need and safety, before it even see the light of day at the Federal level. Finally, once this thing has been accepted all the way to the cockpit, the training department, the flight ops people, the safety people and eventually the flight crew all will be trained and get experience on the new operating requirements. By that time, "suspicions" have no place. Pilots can't afford to fly or use software/hardware that they don't trust with their lives. Whether there is anyone in the back or not, 99.9999% of all the pilots I ever met none had a death wish! laughhard.gif

And I think you already know and are pursuing a logical, conscientious testing of your new hardware and software while maintaining a save, stable working environment for all your critical maters, anyway. My only question was the use of "suspicious." Right now, I have to slowly open the back door to check out some black helicopters flying by...Paranoid.gif tease.gif scram.gif

Offline sandbox

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 02:38:15 PM »
an afterclapper just as I suspected.

* Main Entry: 1sus·pi·cion
    * Pronunciation: \sə-ˈspi-shən\
    * Function: noun
    * Etymology: Middle English suspecioun, from Anglo-French, from Latin suspicion-, suspicio, from suspicere to suspect — more at suspect
    * Date: 14th century
1 a : the act or an instance of suspecting something wrong without proof or on slight evidence : mistrust
b : a state of mental uneasiness and uncertainty : doubt

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »
20th century Addendum: Stress/mistrust/uneasiness usually relieved with carefully planned, logical work to discover evidence. As with most useful work, the benefits far outweigh the efforts and the relief itself is very satisfying. laughhard.gif yes.gif

21st century Addendum: Much effort/work can be avoided by the timely use of Techsurvivors.net. The friendliest computer technical support site known in this galaxy. smile.gif